Kookaburras

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
Gob

Kookaburras

Post by Gob »

Lots about on my morning dog walk this am, I got a few tidy shots.

Kookaburras are terrestrial tree kingfishers of the genus Dacelo native to Australia and New Guinea, which grow to between 28–42 cm (11–17 in) in length. The name is a loanword from Wiradjuri guuguubarra, onomatopoeic of its call. The single member of the genus Clytoceyx is commonly referred to as the shovel-billed kookaburra.

The kookaburra's loud call sounds like echoing human laughter. They are found in habitats ranging from humid forest to arid savanna, as well as in suburban areas with tall trees or near running water. Even though they belong to the larger group known as "kingfishers", kookaburras are not closely associated with water

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kookaburra
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Re: Kookaburras

Post by BoSoxGal »

Lovely!

I just saw two up close in the 'Birds of Australia' exhibit at the Mystic Aquarium in Mystic, Connecticut.

They were magnificent to see up close, but they didn't make any noise which was a disapppointment. I wonderered if they were related to kingfishers, one of my favorite birds, because of the similar body/beak type. Guess my amateur ornithology skills aren't terrible.

The exhibit was really neat, a very large aviary in which you could feed birds, many of which would perch on your hand. My 7 year old niece was fascinated! All kinds of parakeets, parrots, cockatiels, etc.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Kookaburras

Post by RayThom »

You don't suppose they taste like...? Nah!
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Odd you should ask that, Ray. I thought at first that Gob was posting yet another recommendation for a restaurant - perhaps a Tejano place specializing in "Memory of the small of a small donkey"
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

They've become regular visitors!

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Those pics are fantastic! Especially the flying Kook. Love it...

Gob

Post by Gob »

Cheers Joe!

RayThom

Kookaburras

Post by RayThom »

Gob wrote:They've become regular visitors!
You're a regular John James Audubon. Great pics and they really pop on my HD screen.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

wesw

Post by wesw »

they look like Australian woodpeckers...

...I m sure that they are poisonous.

never lick an Australian woodpecker....

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

And only properly trained chefs should prepare it.