A Worthy Cause...

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
Sean

A Worthy Cause...

Post by Sean »

Because we just don't know when to quit, Rogue Scholars have just released a new single. It's called 'We the Ragamuffin' and can be bought at Bandcamp for the princely sum of $1.69 AUD. Even better, all of the profits go to the White Ribbon Campaign.

Your support is appreciated. :)

https://roguescholars.bandcamp.com

Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

Gob

Re: A Worthy Cause...

Post by Gob »

I bought it.

Not as good as my stuff.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Sean

Post by Sean »

I saw that mate and I thank you.

We can only dream of being bracketed with your 'stuff'!
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

What's the white ribbon campaign?

You have a similar sound as the Dropkick Murphys, at least in this piece.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Well I donated but no idea if anything downloaded... edit to add: got it OK, thanks.

White Ribbon is timely (or timeous, as they say here) for South Africa is in the annual 16 Days Against Violence Against Women and Children. Yesterday I listened to a lengthy discussion on SAFM radio on the subject of "why hasn't this seventeen year old campaign achieved any good results?" http://www.whiteribboncampaign.co.uk/

I think it's because the media types and the NGO types actually think men are going to listen to the radio and, those who are prone to commit domestic violence, will strike themselves in the forehead and say, "Oh it's not good? Right, well I'll stop then".

The reality is that the violence will only continue to grow until the courts and the police are forced to take the issue seriously. And 16 days of newspaper articles and radio/TV is not creating any pressure for that to happen. It becomes just another yellow highlighter mark on the calendar along with so many others.

As long as "traditional" behaviours are both a norm and a protected norm at that, the real problem areas of society can never hear this message, let alone internalise and act on it.

But from what I see, there is more actual activism in the UK than there is here in SA. Another explanation for that is Nov 25 - Dec 10 is the start of the big school holidays and people are tied up concentrating on their children's exams and matric followed by holidays. It's not Christmas so much - as it is that Summer is here. Time to braai, time to travel, time to enjoy. 365 days might be better than 16.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sean

Post by Sean »

Guinevere wrote:What's the white ribbon campaign?

You have a similar sound as the Dropkick Murphys, at least in this piece.
The White Ribbon campaign works to end domestic violence against women and girls. I'll take the Murphys comparison as a compliment.

Cheers Meade, I saw your generous donation. :)

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Yes, it was meant to be a compliment!

Thanks for the info and the awareness (and the song). I made a small donation.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Sean

Post by Sean »

Guinevere wrote:Yes, it was meant to be a compliment!

Thanks for the info and the awareness (and the song). I made a small donation.
Thank you Guin! That is extremely generous of you! Your donation will do to White Ribbon USA and I hope you enjoy the song. :D

RayThom

A Worthy Cause...

Post by RayThom »

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.”