How I spent my day off.....

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
Gob

Post by Gob »

It now gets sealed in glad wrap, and fed whisky once a week until Xmas.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Guinevere

Re: How I spent my day off.....

Post by Guinevere »

You don't spend enough time with fruitcakes already?
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

... they were probably as edible now as they were on the day they were baked, although 'forged' was a better term.
Looking at that, I can see from where Terry Pratchett got his inspiration for the Discworld's 'dwarf bread'.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Delicious! Save me a piece! (And may God save us all from ignorant barbarians!)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Gob, I've been an out-of-the-closet fruitcake lover for quite a few years now. If friends come over I no longer have to pretend to use my fruitcakes as doorstops, footstools, or auto jack stands. I now freely display them on my kitchen counter, especially with slices missing.

I now proudly proclaim, "Hello, my name is Ray... and I enjoy eating fruitcake."
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Gob

Post by Gob »

Guinevere wrote:You don't spend enough time with fruitcakes already?
Between here and work, probably.....
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Looks lovely! I too am a fruitcake aficionado; one of my keen lamentations over the loss of the elder generation is that there are no more homemade fruitcakes at holiday gatherings.

Do you share your recipe?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

It was my first attempt at a Xmas cake, so I used this recipe, but did some variations on it.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/260 ... stmas-cake