Speaking of vehicles...

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Speaking of vehicles...

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I'm currently trying to keep an old '96 Toyota Camry on the road.  It's got the 2.2 four-banger in it, but I seem to have developed an oil leak on the left-hand side (as you look into the engine compartment from the front) from somewhere down around the serpentine belt.  I've been checking around the 'net and it seems this is a common-enough occurrence in these engines, especially in high-mileage vehicles (mine's got 280K on the clock), and appears to be coming from the oil pump housing O-ring and shaft seal.

Now replacing this myself is far more dicking around than I want to do, especially outdoors in this sort of weather (it's snowing — again — right now; even though spring is less than two weeks away according to the calendar, that bitch from "Frozen" is not giving up without a fight!).  Does anyone want to either confirm or deny my initial diagnosis, and can anybody give me some idea about how much I'd be expected to pay to get this taken care of at a real garage?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

wesw

Re: Speaking of vehicles...

Post by wesw »

wash the oil off and determine exactly where the leak is coming from.

you want to know what the problem is, if possible, when you go to the mechanic.

a piece of cardboard under a hot vehicle can help you determine the location of the leak..., sometimes.....

RayThom

Speaking of vehicles...

Post by RayThom »

BB, where is the oil pressure sensor located on this engine? That's most likely the problem.

However, wesw has actually give some sound advice. Spray the oily area down with some WD40, and them run the engine until you see some leakage. If, in fact, it's the pressure sensor you can easily replace it yourself. Pep Boys or Auto Zone should have the replacement for less than $10. A mechanic would probably charge you $150 for the same job.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Jarlaxle

Re: Speaking of vehicles...

Post by Jarlaxle »

Carb cleaner is better than WD40. If the engine looks like a giant blob of oil, spending ~$10 on a leak detecting kit (UV dye and a light) might be worthwhile.

If it IS the sending unit, Rock Auto lists a Beck-Arnley for $5, a Standard Motor Products for $12, and a Delco for $14. The sensor is on the front of the engine (passenger side), directly behind the alternator.