Home for Random Thoughts

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: Home for Random Thoughts

Post by Econoline »

Why do the news media call it a "space walk" rather than a "space float"?
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

The problem with weed being legal:

I am currently preparing a concoction that I am u aware of it being an actual accepted (if not decadent) combination or an invention of a diseased mind.

(Bagel w/cream cheese and raspberry preserves in case you were wondering)
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Well... your recipe can be found on Google....

rasbagel.jpg
rasbagel.jpg (55.19 KiB) Viewed 452 times

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Dang Joe you search photos real quick! I was going to post that exact delectable photo - it made my tummy rumble!

I hope both of youse guys look out at the blue super moon before bedtime - won’t be another one until 2037.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:13 am
Dang Joe you search photos real quick! I was going to post that exact delectable photo - it made my tummy rumble!

I hope both of youse guys look out at the blue super moon before bedtime - won’t be another one until 2037.

I'll be looking for that moon. I'll take a snapshot of it with my cellphone if I can get a good view.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I live in a particularly unfair location. It seems to be a special hole in the weather, whatever it may be. Everytime some weather disaster is predicted, the area where I life is some how exempted even with the bad results all around us. But there is also a cost. Whenever there is a special treat in the sky, say, Northern Lights showing this far south, specially active meteor shower, rare alignment of the visible planets, this beautiful full moon. Yep. Can't see it. Sky socked in with clouds. Every time.

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

My dog has a very good life, but I have felt badly that her only interaction with other dogs is brief encounters at the bird sanctuary where we regularly walk. Today we went to visit the daughter of my last hospice client who died in February; she had acquired two little dogs during the 18 months I cared for her mom and she just recently adopted two more. Riley was in doggy heaven for a few hours today, and we are invited to make it a weekly thing - I’m so happy!

Also if I happened to have a coronary in my sleep tonight, I would die utterly happy after spending a few hours today getting my face washed repeatedly by four little tongues and one bigger one. 🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶 Dogs are so much better than people!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Here we are, less than three years away from July 4, 2026, and I haven't heard a peep about celebrating the Sestercentennial.   I mean, for the Bicentennial they came up with a three-color logo, TV had 'Bicentennial Minutes', and the USPS had a five-year run-up of commemorative postage stamps leading to a connected strip of four stamps (that formed a single picture) issued on the 4th of July itself.

But so far, nothing!
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Why do ketchup labels say TOMATO ketchup?

Is there some other kind?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

So we don't think we're eating fish sauce?
Origin of the Words Ketchup and Catsup

Both words are derived from the Chinese ke-tsiap, a pickled fish sauce. It made its way to Malaysia where it became kechap and ketjap in Indonesia. Catsup and katchup are acceptable spellings used interchangeably with ketchup, however, ketchup is the way it is popularly used today.
Seventeenth century English sailors first discovered the delights of the "sauce", a Chinese condiment and brought it to the West. Ketchup was first mentioned in print around 1690. The Chinese version is actually more akin to a soy or Worcestershire sauce.

It gradually went through various changes, particularly with the addition of tomatoes in the 1700s. By the nineteenth century, ketchup was also known as tomato soy.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I can't say it's true for certain, but I heard Catsup was the term used for all similar sauces; when Heinz began marketing Tomato Catsup, hey coinded the term Ketchup and tried to trademark it--it was (rightfully) denied as it is a virtual homophone for Catsup. Heinz has been pretty prolific in the trademark area, trademarking its bottle design (recently won a case against a hot sauce manufacturer on this one), trademarking 57 as used on its bottles, even trying to trademark the color of its ketchup (didn't get that one). It's a rough and tumble world in retail--even for things like ketchup/catsup.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Was making myself an espresso, the old fashioned way, using a moka pot on the stovetop, and after loading the pot with water and coffee grounds I found myself putting it in the fridge rather than on the stovetop. I remembered what I heard someone say about dementia, that it isn't about forgetting where you put your keys, but rather forgetting how keys are used. Am I forgetting how a refrigerator is used if I try to make coffee in it?
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Scooter wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:31 pm
Was making myself an espresso, the old fashioned way, using a moka pot on the stovetop, and after loading the pot with water and coffee grounds I found myself putting it in the fridge rather than on the stovetop. I remembered what I heard someone say about dementia, that it isn't about forgetting where you put your keys, but rather forgetting how keys are used. Am I forgetting how a refrigerator is used if I try to make coffee in it?
No, I'd just say you were trying to make an iced coffee and was merely trying to rush the process.
-"BB"-

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Just went to pick up my weekly pizza from my usual place and the manager who knows me greeted me by name and rang me up and grabbed my order. She then told me she’s leaving to work at another location so I won’t see her anymore at least for a while. I said oh no! What will I do without a place to go to where everybody knows my name??

She looked at me with a blank - Cheers! I said? - still the blank look.

I am officially ridiculously old. I told her about the show - once considered a big local thing- and she promised to look for it on streaming.

So. Ridiculously. Old.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I am officially ridiculously old. I told her about the show - once considered a big local thing
Ironically, you were Cliff Clavin-ing. 8-)

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Long Run wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:57 pm

I am officially ridiculously old. I told her about the show - once considered a big local thing
Ironically, you were Cliff Clavin-ing. 8-)
Nicely done :ok
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

About twelve years ago I was in Boston for a business meeting. Got there early and found myself wandering around on foot in esthe neighborhood West of the hotel. Just stumbling around I suddenly recognized the neon sign and the steps down from the sidewalk--the entrance to THE place. did not go in. I did notice the establishments around were very high priced. Back in the hotel, the desk clerk just smiled and said nobody knows any names there, it is all tourists.

snailgate.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I went by that once--probably 20 or so years ago; I think it was called the Bull and finch Pub, but it was where the exteriors for Cheers were filmed. I did go inside, and it was nothing like the Cheers bar.

Another thing I recall, In the late 90s (and after) there were a series of Cheers pubs in airports--it was kind of like a small Fridays with Cheers bar styling. Many of them even had dummies of Cliff and Norm sitting in the bar area (never saw it, but I heard they were animated and would trade one liners), but haven't seen any for years.

Here's a link https://vinepair.com/articles/airport-b ... ry-cheers/