Home for Random Thoughts

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
BoSoxGal

Re: Home for Random Thoughts

Post by BoSoxGal »

I feel so accomplished on the days when I manage to pare down the open windows on my phone browser to half a dozen or fewer.

There is just too much to read and learn.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

It just occurred to me that in Roman numeral English, China's president Xi Jinping's first name is pronounced, "Eleven".

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Don’t tell Trump that. it would completely blow his mind.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I work at home, and if I wanted to, I could have a computer right by my bed, and I’d never have to leave it. But I use a typewriter, and afterwards I mark up the pages with a pencil. Then I call up this woman named Carol out in Woodstock and say, “Are you still doing typing?” Sure she is, and her husband is trying to track bluebirds out there and not having much luck, and so we chitchat back and forth, and I say, “OK, I’ll send you the pages.”

Then I’m going down the steps, and my wife calls up, “Where are you going?” I say, “Well, I’m going to go buy an envelope.” And she says, “You’re not a poor man. Why don’t you buy a thousand envelopes? They’ll deliver them, and you can put them in a closet.” And I say, “Hush.” So I go down the steps here, and I go out to this newsstand across the street where they sell magazines and lottery tickets and stationery. I have to get in line because there are people buying candy and all that sort of thing, and I talk to them. The woman behind the counter has a jewel between her eyes, and when it’s my turn, I ask her if there have been any big winners lately. I get my envelope and seal it up and go to the postal convenience center down the block at the corner of 47th Street and 2nd Avenue, where I’m secretly in love with the woman behind the counter. I keep absolutely poker-faced; I never let her know how I feel about her. One time I had my pocket picked in there and got to meet a cop and tell him about it. Anyway, I address the envelope to Carol in Woodstock. I stamp the envelope and mail it in a mailbox in front of the post office, and I go home. And I’ve had a hell of a good time. And I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don’t let anybody tell you any different.

Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We’re dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go do something. [Gets up and dances a jig.]
Interview with Kurt Vonnegut
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Nice one, BSG.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I’m going to start misapplying the word yore. There, their, and they’re shouldn't be the only homonym-based grammatical error trifecta.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I’m going to start misapplying the word yore. There, their, and they’re shouldn't be the only homonym-based grammatical error trifecta.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Well, these are the best days of yore life.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Yer probably gonna confuse people.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Since Twitter is now X, people over there can no longer be tweeting.

What's it called when you comment on X?

Commenting?

Oh... yeah. Maybe that's it.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I’ve heard x-ing x-ed x-tc…

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

TwiXt?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

"Xitter" — with the "X" pronounced as in "Xi Jinping" (Mandarin/Pinyin pronunciation).
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Joe Guy wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:41 am
Since Twitter is now X...
You know that Trump's version of Twitter is called Truth, right?
You know what else was called 'Truth'?   The official newspaper of the Communist Party in Soviet Russia — Правда (Pravda).
And whose pocket lint is all over Trump's badly-fitting suits?   Good ol' Vladimir Putin.
Coincidence?   I think not.
And I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed that.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:17 am
You know what else was called 'Truth'?   The official newspaper of the Communist Party in Soviet Russia — Правда (Pravda)
I hadn't realized that but I'm sure not surprised by it. Trump is a Putin wannabee.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Hey ho and off for the 6:30 colonoscopy

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

That's a real bummer...

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

It all worked out in the end tho'

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Glad to hear everything came out okay 👍
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

They had me do a Cologuard test a couple of weeks ago so they didn't have to go up to my nose with their rubber hose.
(it came back negative, btw, just in case anybody besides myself gives a damn)
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?