Home for Random Thoughts

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
Big RR

Re: Home for Random Thoughts

Post by Big RR »

And it appears to be cocked as well--why? One would think a "firearms expert" wouldn't do that. It appears to serve no prupose.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I think that Baldwin is protesting too much about not pulling the trigger, but I don't believe that should be held against him. It is a completely reasonable expectation of any actor on a set that no prop firearm would contain live ammunition. It is completely unreasonable to expect any actor to check for themselves that said firearm is free of live ammunition before doing with it what would normally be expected, i.e. pointing it at someone and pulling the trigger. If actors had to ascertain this every time said firearm left their view, then they would have to halt the action during every take of every scene involving a firearm in order to carry out such a check. All of the talk of what constitutes "common sense" firearm safety has no place once a firearm is on a set, unless every scene involving a firearm is shot at a snail's pace and has to be sliced and resected in the cutting room a hundred times to make it work.

Baldwin's responsibility as a producer are a different matter, if he was responsible for practices that raised the likelihood that live ammunition could end up in prop firearms. But in that case, why charge only him and not any other producer? I find it unlikely that Baldwin had sole and final say over any such decisions. But I guess charging someone named Matt Del Piano doesn't carry quite the same cachet for a D.A. as nabbing a Baldwin.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Facebook didn't let me put this on their platform. Apparently I'm encouraging suicide.
Last edited by MajGenl.Meade on Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Scooter--I tend to agree with you re his behavior a an actor; my only concern would be if he acted recklessly when handling the pistol; even if you are sure it is not loaded, that is no reason to point it at people of dry fire it (i recall years ago one of the posters here killed his dog while dry firing an "unloaded" weapon.

As for his production responsibilities, I guess it would depend what they were, but I would think the director should at least be charged too as the director is ordinarily in charge of the set and production.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Not so random. Driving home from the library in Kent, noticed a bird of prey circling. Some sort of eagle. What sort of eagle has all that white on it? Parked off the road and Margaretta and I got out to watch a bald eagle sailing its circles against an unusual sky (blue - this Ravenna OH). Not seen one before except as a dot on a pile of twigs in a protected tree a mile away.

Then today . . . ruckus in the yard. Got outside to watch two Cooper's hawks raiding a squirrel dray. Said squirrel running up and down the tree right beneath the raiders while one dipped into the unsightly pile of leaves and (presumably) desquirreled it.

Wonders of nature. Watched Attenborough's "testimony" on Netflix last night. Made saving the planet sound possible. Just needs worldwide cooperation, all of us to be vegetarians and a few other likely events. Sigh
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Will history look on Merrick Garland as a hero of democracy?

Or will history see him as having failed miserably in his duty to the Constitution and the American people?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Living.jpg
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

BSG, thank you for the quote from Ms Christie (I have lost track. Should it be Dame Christie?) I have put on my wall above my desk, right against Leonard Cohen's last poem/lyric, 'Listen to the Hummingbird'

snailgate.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

She was knighted (1972, per Wikipedia) and would be formally known as 'Dame Agatha' - for some reason they are usually known only by their forename which is how we have Sir Elton, Sir Mick, Sir Paul (but not Sir Keef), Dame Judi, Dame Helen etc.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Visited the site of Meade’ greatest victory today.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Crackpot wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:33 am
Visited the site of Meade’ greatest victory today.
Well done, sir!
Meade SOU EHOG

(Savior of Union; Eternal Hero of Gettysburg)

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I thought that was Sickles.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Swords or pistols, sir? Your choice.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Now, now Meade, he's only saying what Sickles said time and time again. Not only that, but he brought his troops to where they could eat peaches between attacks. What a guy; a legend in his own mind.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Et tu, BigRRute?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

My pleasure. :lol:

and to be fair, there are more forts named for confederate generals (at least until recently) than Sickles. That should tell you something.

Of course, Sickles can be the inspiration behind Legos.
Last edited by Big RR on Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Well, he did go out on a limb

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Just a perk of being the last to die really…

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

DC thoughts:

Who the fuck puts traffic lights on roundabouts?!
Parking sucks and I’m glad I don’t plan on moving my car til I leave.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

CP - plenty of traffic lights on roundabouts in England these days. I shall be driving round some of them in April / May.