Home for Random Thoughts

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
Big RR

Re: Home for Random Thoughts

Post by Big RR »

thanks guin, I didn't know that; I thought that it was just the old stars and bars (I should have looked more closely, I guess).

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Big RR wrote:And how do older, out of shape cops in dress shoes catch the young, fit guy running in track shoes?

My guess is because how it really happens wouldn't be as exciting.
You mean like how in real life they shoot fleeing suspects in the back because they’re black? Or shoot at family dogs for barking? Or shoot at mentally ill people for being disturbed?

Yeah, we wouldn’t want to show that in TV entertainment.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

You're right there--we'd rather show quick edited chases with a music background. they want drama, not conclusions--shooting is too quick and too final.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I liked watching Regina King run down bad guys in Southland (quite a good show, btw, that was canceled too soon). IRL she ran track and still is fit and looked the part. Yeah, I know, the exception.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Big RR wrote:thanks guin, I didn't know that; I thought that it was just the old stars and bars (I should have looked more closely, I guess).
I'll clarify (since I have not been in that courtroom) - as most state courts have their state flag on one side of the bench and the US flag on the other, I believe it is the MS state flag (I can see the blue and white large bars), which looks like this:

“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Yes, it makes sense; I thought originally that perhaps Mississippi put the confederate battle flag in its courtrooms--I guess they do it under the guise of their own flag. Perhaps another state will put the 10 commandments on their flag so they can be in the courtroom as well.

Actually, it's been a while since I was in a federal court--do they have a state flag as well (depending on the state they are in)? Also, I recall reading a while back that the federal courts used a flag with yellow fringe on the side (and some tax protestors say this robs the court of its jurisdiction (:roll:), but I don't recall every seeing those types of flags in any courtroom (do you?).

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Not in the federal courthouse in Boston:

“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Nice looking courtroom. maybe they don't have state flags in any federal courts. I do recall US flags with the yellow fringe in some courts, but I can't recall where; I guess I really don't pay attention to the flags (I'm usually too busy with other things).

wesw

Post by wesw »

Valerie bertinelli is aging well......

RayThom

Home For Random Thoughts

Post by RayThom »

wesw wrote:Valerie bertinelli is aging well......
Jenny Craig. If you're being paid well for losing weight and/or promoting youthfulness, it makes it so much easier to achieve the results required. The same applies to Christie Brinkley.

But I agree, Bertinelli looks closer to mid-forties that nearing 60.

As for a woman around my own age who is maintaining themselves remarkably well, I'd go with Helen Mirren. At 73 you'd be hard pressed to find someone in the public eye looking better.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

wesw

Post by wesw »

her food looks tasty as well.......

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

wesw wrote:her food looks tasty as well...
You are the target audience. You've fallen for the hype.

If you THINK it's tasty... it WILL be tasty.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Re: Home For Random Thoughts

Post by BoSoxGal »

RayThom wrote:
wesw wrote:Valerie bertinelli is aging well......
Jenny Craig. If you're being paid well for losing weight and/or promoting youthfulness, it makes it so much easier to achieve the results required. The same applies to Christie Brinkley.

But I agree, Bertinelli looks closer to mid-forties that nearing 60.

As for a woman around my own age who is maintaining themselves remarkably well, I'd go with Helen Mirren. At 73 you'd be hard pressed to find someone in the public eye looking better.
It’s not really easy losing weight just because you’re being paid to, no. Valerie struggles with food addiction and has gained and lost a substantial amount of weight numerous times in her life - she’s probably done a lot of damage to her heart muscle in the process, not to mention shredding her metabolism. The Jenny Craig plan isn’t really a healthy approach to heal a shredded metabolic system or address messed up insulin resistance.

Is she thin again now? A couple of years ago she’d gained all the JC lost weight back, plus a bunch more. A cooking show is dangerous territory for a food addict; as Valerie herself said, she found it easier to quit her cocaine habit than to put down the fork. Food addicts have a hard time eating to live instead of living to eat. I hope she’s truly well these days; she’s always been beautiful with a very youthful face, at any weight.

I agree with you about Helen Mirren; she’s gorgeous and I believe she’s entirely untouched by surgery or Botox, which is a nice bonus. I think a big reason why she’s still so gorgeous at her age is that she’s very happily childfree - she loves her stepkids and stepgrandkids, but her body has never suffered the assaults of motherhood, which is a very aging process.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Re: Home For Random Thoughts

Post by Long Run »

BoSoxGal wrote: It’s not really easy losing weight just because you’re being paid to

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

It occurred to me this morning that in my entire life I've never bought a paper clip but I can always find one if I need it.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

wesw

Post by wesw »

I have requisitioned paper clips, but I ve never needed one outside of work...., except to poke my bong...... but that was a long time ago, bongs are for young men.....

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

If cockroaches are able to survive atomic blasts, chemical weapons, submersion in water, and extremes of heat and cold, but can still be killed by being sprayed with a can of Raid™ — just what the hell is SC Johnson Co. putting in that stuff, anyway??
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I see a tv commercial that includes the words "Nothing kills faster than Raid" Occasionally in my kitchen appear tiny little ants. Once I saw them and had no bug spray of any type handy but I did have a container of 'fantastic Scrubbing Bubbles HEAVY DUTY All Purpose Cleaner' in a spray bottle. I grabbed it and sprayed the ants. They curled up in death instantly, nothing could have killed faster, not even stomping on them with a big shoe. Since that experience, I have seen these ants marching in near-endless lines across the sidewalk outside my front door. When I do, I grab that cleaner and let them have it. Same result.

I have the same question--Just what is SC Johnson putting in this stuff? Is it really safe to use it to clean things in the kitchen?

snailgate.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

for that matter, what is Florsheim putting in its shoes?