Home for Random Thoughts

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
Big RR

Re: Home for Random Thoughts

Post by Big RR »

Ghandi had his drawbacks (like his view on the untouchables) but he was not a god, he was just a man becoming the best he could be. The sad part is that many are impatient and refuse to embrace nonviolence, demanding an eye (or more) for an eye rather than trying to find a way to live together. Face it, his brutal, dictatorial namesake Indira is celebrated by many for (IMHO) her brutality, in contrast with Mohandas Ghandi's non violence philosophies. We have a great world, but we can't figure out how to share it; we'd much rather use violence to claim what we see as our share--Ghandi tried to point out how ludicrous this is but, paraphrasing Don McClain, "They did not listen, they're not listening still; perhaps they never will (OK it's about van Gogh, but the comment applies). People of peace and understanding are rarely celebrated in the way that brutal leaders are.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

This is bugging me. I have run across a couple you tube channels now where the presenter uses the term “Guys” repeatedly. Not “you guys” or “Hey guys” just “guys”. They also seem to pronounce it “gisss". I’m wondering if it’s a random occurrence or a regional or generational thing. (I have come to the unfortunate conclusions that not only do I really have no idea how kids these days speak or act or even that they're not really kids anymore, but also, I would use the term “kids these days”)
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Crackpot wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:24 am
(I have come to the unfortunate conclusions that not only do I really have no idea how kids these days speak or act or even that they're not really kids anymore, but also, I would use the term “kids these days”)
Have you recently told any young people to get off your lawn?
GAH!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Been tempted but I still have the faculties to realize just how cringey that would be

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Don't feel cringey. Them dang youngins oughtta know better and they needs to be told!!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

UNHINGED!!!! The most overused word of 2023 and continuing....

Is it just me? I mean like at the end of the day I'm like literally hearing and actually reading that word literally nine out of ten times I turn on the TV, phone or computer.

You know what I'm saying?

If I hear the word UNHINGED one more time I'm gonna come UNHINGED!!..... literally.

Fair enough?

This ↑

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I don’t know Guys.

wesw

Post by wesw »

having kids as neighbors is great.

not only do you get to hear the sounds of youthful exuberance ....

....you also get free sports balls, and balsa gliders

wesw

Post by wesw »

joe, asking if i am the same person was a good point.

the answer is yes..., and no....

meade, "go forth and fornicate" was truly clever and amusing...,

truly funny.

i a m going to steal that line

fair use?

i don t care.

imitation....

take it how you will....

seems like scooter s motto.....

wesw

Post by wesw »

joe, asking if i am the same person was a good point.

the answer is yes..., and no....

meade, "go forth and fornicate" was truly clever and amusing...,

truly funny.

i a m going to steal that line

fair use?

i don t care.

imitation....

take it how you will....

seems like scooter s motto.....

wesw

Post by wesw »

nice to see that the board has become more lively....

a shame that you are all, still, so ignorant

low info commentors

circle jerkers

so kind of stupid petard to acknowledge his utter wrongness and stupidity

that dead person was a shining light in a den of horrible stupidity...

she was the only one....

god bless her.

if it wasn t for her, alabama would be lost.

she was unique....

ya ll are so ignorant...., so biased...., so ....., so....,

...nevermind.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Unhinged is back.

And it was go forth and multiply.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

wesw

Post by wesw »

ok...

go forth and multiply is, and was, very clever

you made me smile

but it is kinda like saying , gosh darn

we know what you you mean...

so just spit it out...

or swallow....

whatever you like,

but i prefer the swallow......

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

A pizza is actually a real-time pie chart showing how much pizza is still left.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I got a little bit addicted to CourtTV when I was laid up with influenza, bacterial infection and then covid - right now I’m watching the closing arguments of New Mexico v. Hannah Gutierrez, the on set shooting death from Alec Baldwin’s movie Rust.

It’s been a fascinating case to watch, I’ve seen most of it. Learned so much about movie production and the use of blanks versus dummy rounds on movie sets.

I’m convinced this armorer is guilty and so is Alec Baldwin - and I once defended him so I am eating crow today. Will be interesting to see if he proceeds to trial after seeing the evidence the state is going to bring against him in June or July.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

BSG--since you have watched it fairly closely, I would be interested in seeing what Baldwin did (or did not do) that made him culpable. I've kind of struggled with that with the accounts I have read. I have no problem with saying he is civilly liable as the producer, but wonder where the criminal liability arises from.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Big RR wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:48 pm
BSG--since you have watched it fairly closely, I would be interested in seeing what Baldwin did (or did not do) that made him culpable. I've kind of struggled with that with the accounts I have read. I have no problem with saying he is civilly liable as the producer, but wonder where the criminal liability arises from.
The number of firearms experts who testified, including an expert from the FBI where the gun was tested (and 'destroyed,' because they inflicted all kinds of physical trauma on the firearm trying to make it fire without the trigger being pulled), convinced me beyond any reasonable doubt that this firearm would not fire without having the trigger pulled.

During the course of the trial they repeatedly showed footage of Baldwin pulling the gun in the cross draw and every time his finger was at least partially inside the trigger guard, where he could easily pull the trigger - it doesn't take a lot of pressure to make the gun fire when it is already cocked, which he admitted doing.

There was extensive testimony and footage played from the filming and of on set activities after the 'cut' was called which proved that Baldwin was substantially in control of the set and the speed of filming, which OSHA pointed to in finding the management of Rust, LLC culpable for the safety violations on set and the cinematographer's death. Shooting was delayed by three hours that day because a film crew walked off the set and quit over safety concerns.

Baldwin may very well believe himself innocent, but the footage doesn't lie. He's an older person and as with many of us as we age, we get much better at some things and less good at others. Maybe he really doesn't remember that his meaty finger was inside the trigger guard when he pulled that firearm and pointed it at the cinematographer and director. The result was a horrific, traumatic event and such events distort our perception of them, there is a ton of neuroscience which establishes that truth.

Obviously he had every reason to expect that there wouldn't be live rounds in the gun, that's on the armorer and she's now convicted for it. But he admitted himself in his interview with ABC that he knows better than to point a gun, any gun, at someone and pull the trigger - but the footage shows that he did just that, and if he did it once, it is entirely reasonable for the jury to assume he did it at the time this incident occurred, and that meets the requirements of the statute under which he is charged:
NM Stat § 30-2-3 (2021)
Manslaughter is the unlawful killing of a human being without malice.

A. Voluntary manslaughter consists of manslaughter committed upon a sudden quarrel or in the heat of passion.

Whoever commits voluntary manslaughter is guilty of a third degree felony resulting in the death of a human being.

B. Involuntary manslaughter consists of manslaughter committed in the commission of an unlawful act not amounting to felony, or in the commission of a lawful act which might produce death in an unlawful manner or without due caution and circumspection.

Whoever commits involuntary manslaughter is guilty of a fourth degree felony.
The first assistant director who testified at this trial and will certainly testify at Baldwin's took a plea deal which saw him serve six months of unsupervised probation and he paid a modest fine. I wonder if the prosecution wouldn't make an offer like that to Gutierrez and Baldwin? Or were they both just too proud to take responsibility for their massive cockups?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Thanks. That certainly provides some food for thought.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Did anyone see where a firearms 'Expert Witness' was testifying at the trial and pointed the gun at the judge?

I didn't see the trial but I saw this: