Home for Random Thoughts

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
BoSoxGal

Re: Home for Random Thoughts

Post by BoSoxGal »

I saw my first Carroll County Veterinary Clinic sign on social media this morning - love this one:
80E94C7A-540E-4507-8213-815EF34DF048.jpeg
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Maybe you already saw this, BSG, since the sign you posted is one of the examples shown, but here's a link to several more (with commentary).

https://www.wackojaco.com/en/pet-owners ... native_one
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

What do you think of when you see this?
"Petticoat Junction", right??

Me too.  But I've got a mind that sometimes goes off on its own, and lately, I've been wondering how they managed to sneak the name of the town — "Hooterville" — past the CBS 'Standards and Practices' team, especially since the show opened with this not-so-subtle shot of three moderately well-endowed young women in a water tower, presumably bare-beamed and buck nekkid.  My only theory is that the usage of 'hooters' as a slang term for the female breast wasn't that prominent yet — Hooters Restaurants were roughly twenty years in the future (they were founded in 1983), and Steve Martin wouldn't use the term on "Saturday Night Live" until May of 1980.

So from there it's not too far a reach to surmise that this show and these three young ladies may, in fact, have played a significant part in first bringing the term into the public consciousness.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

My very own unreliable memory tells me that 'Hooterville' was a part of the Smoky Stover comic strip. My search of the internet was unable to confirm or deny. As far as I know, nobody ever explained 'notary sojak'

snailgate

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Burning Petard wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:08 pm
My very own unreliable memory tells me that 'Hooterville' was a part of the Smoky Stover comic strip. My search of the internet was unable to confirm or deny. As far as I know, nobody ever explained 'notary sojak'

snailgate
Back then, 'hooter' was a common slang term for a person's nose, the same as 'peepers' referred to a person's eyes ('Jeepers, Creepers, Where'd You Get Those Peepers?").
Maybe that's why 'hooters' began to be used to refer to a woman's breasts — since much as a person's nose juts out from their face, those prominent features of a woman's anatomy (at least the ones that deserve the appellation of 'hooters') jut out from her chest.

And according to various sources including The Comics Journal.com and Cecil Adams' "Straight Dope" website, 'notary sojac' is an approximate phonetic spelling of 'nodlaig sodhach', which is Gaelic for 'Merry Christmas'.
-"BB"-

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Bill--if I recall, Petticoat Junction was not in Hooterville; I think it was nearby and could be reached by driving or train (the Cannonball); I don't recall for certain but, since it is called a Junction, it probably existed at a railroad crossroad of the Cannonball, and a train to somewhere else (likely to a big city eventually like Chicago. I'm not sure when the name was introduced--San Drucker was in both shows (and I think the store was in Hooterville), but I don't know if the name was used before Green Acres began. I recall we kids used to make fun of the name after Green Acresbegan, so the connotation with breasts was not unkown at the time.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

RSV who knew? Sucks.

So glad my wife got a part-time job in a school for little snotties

Well at least she has the week off on a doctor's note now
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

According to CDC it usually goes away 'in a week or two.' Good luck! You need to keep your hydration level up. Beer is good. I have recently acquired a taste for those way overhopped American IPAs, and Cincinnati's Rheingeist Truth is pretty good.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:11 pm
[ I have recently acquired a taste for those way overhopped American IPAs,
Speaking of spreading disease, the IPA craze is infecting bars and taverns, driving out native ales at an alarming rate.

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

What the hell has happened to Cracker Jack?  You know, the little box of goodness that had the little sailor boy on the box, promised you "candy-coated popcorn, peanuts, and a prize" in their jingle, and is so much a part of Americana that it's even mentioned by name in the song, "Take Me Out to the Ball Game"?

I haven't had any for a long time, and was at the local Dollar Tree where they had a couple of three-packs on the mark-down shelf.  Fifty cents for three boxes — that I remember originally being only a nickel, or maybe a dime — seemed OK, so I bought them.

Well, I munched my way through them Sunday evening while watching the Packers-Bills game (and the less said about that, the better).  Noticed right away it still tastes the same ... but I swear to God, they must have taken a cue from the airlines when it came to reducing products to cut costs, because as far as the peanuts went, there were perhaps FOUR half-kernels per box.  That's it ... one whole peanut per box (since peanuts usually come two kernels to a shell).

And then the prize...   Back in the day, there was a physical prize hidden in the box; maybe a little compass or plastic whistle, or table-top spinner, or a miniature put-the-little-ball-into-the-hole game, or ... you get the idea.  So what do you get now?  A peel-open hunk of paper with a sticker on it, along with instructions to log on to crackerjack.com and follow instructions in order to play some sort of cheesy video game.
In other words, you need to have access to a smartphone or computer with internet access in order to 'play' with your 'prize'.  Or to put it another way, you need to spend (or have spent) several hundred dollars if you want to play with your 'free' toy.  And to top it off, there's an 'age gate' because they tell you that you must be 13 or older to play — so any kid who would be young enough to maybe find this interesting are, at least in theory, locked out of it.

And Dollar Tree normally charges a buck and a quarter for this?  I certainly won't be buying any more....

-"BB"-

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

hairy bosoms, storage room, Svalbard And Jan Mayen, 16 hours ago
"Very great" is redundant. Improve your vocabulary.
This comment on a Daily Mail article which has 50+ upvotes and only 3 downvotes makes me want to weep for the state of appreciation of language.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Is British TV (and Irish and Welsh and Scottish TV) really that much better than USA TV, or am I just revealing my Anglophilia?

Granted the short list of best TV series of all time weighs heavily American made, but on the average I find UK productions are a step above.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

-"BB"-

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:38 am
Is British TV (and Irish and Welsh and Scottish TV) really that much better than USA TV, or am I just revealing my Anglophilia?

Granted the short list of best TV series of all time weighs heavily American made, but on the average I find UK productions are a step above.
Some of it is the format. The best U.S. shows are much shorter series than the typical selections which have 20+ episodes per year. For example, Mindhunters is vastly better than Criminal Minds; the so-called prestige series are able to focus all their best ideas, acting and writing into a relative handful of episodes, while the regular series have their best diluted by all the mediocre stuff. The British TV (and others like the best of Scandinavian TV, German, etc.) are more like the prestige series (vice versa actually). They also don't seem to get distracted with the filler and tangential personal stories, or sexual "tension" stuff that regular American shows include.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

When did CVS start selling… err… Marital aids.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Crackpot wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:08 am
When did CVS start selling… err… Marital aids.
They probably always did; they're just a little more open about advertising that sort of thing now.   In fact, I got a robo-spam email from Kohl's — the department store chain — hyping a line of piercing jewelry including a "Lila Moon 14k Gold Captive Bead Hoop Nipple Ring ".
At least they still have taste enough to display the item on its own against a white background, rather than being photographed in situ.

-"BB"-

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I only noticed them more recently

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Scientists can approximate the age of a blue whale by the rings the earwax makes.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Not only that but a person could make a whale of a candle out of its earwax.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I have no problem with people who are non-binary, but hexadecimal is a bit much.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God