Home for Random Thoughts

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: Home for Random Thoughts

Post by Econoline »

More Wordles than Random Thoughts??? :o Uh-oh!
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

We need more random thoughts.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I almost shared a random thought the other day but forgot to finish the post and it went randomly off into the internet ether - too many open windows.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I was just at Hannaford getting a few items before the big storm tonight and I suddenly got sick to my stomach thinking about our abundance and all the people who struggle to get something to eat.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Beer is made from grain — usually barley, corn, or wheat — and hops.  Whiskey is generally made from corn, rye, or other grains.  Vodka is made from potatoes.  Rum is made from sugar cane.  Brandy is made from wine, which itself is made from grapes.

These are all plants.   Therefore, drinking booze should count toward your daily allowance of fruits and vegetables.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I'll drink to that.

wesw

Post by wesw »

trump is serious

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Why is "naked" pronounced "naked" but "baked" pronounced "baked" instead of "baked"??? :shrug
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

The only thing I can think is that bake and baked are verb forms, while naked is an adjective. So you might say I baked the cake, and this form carries cover to using the word as an adjective. Naked, so far as I know, was never a verb form (possibly in the time of the Tudors but I really don't know), so the other pronunciation continued. Wicked is like this as well (yes, there is a word "to wick" having to do with candles and liquid flow, but nothing with evil or vileness, so I think they have two different roots--the past tense of wick would be pronounced much like baked, not two syllables).

Just a guess, though; maybe someone here really knows.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

This is the question for many modern observers of Christians. Why is the Sermon on The Mount usually quoted aloud as including a list of 'bless-ed' not 'blesst' I like Big RR's comment, but in this particular case I think we are dealing with verbs. Although the idea of doing 'nake' is an interesting exercise.

snailgate.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Tense. Past tense is "blest" - future is "bless-ed"

Sermon on the Mount deals with future - bless-yet-to-come.

Blessed are the ________ for they SHALL __________
Blessed are the ________ for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven (still future because the Kingdom of Heaven may be near but it is 'not yet')
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I'm not sure Meade, but in these statements the term blessed is used as an adjective, not something in the future; Jesus says these persons are blessed, and then describes how the blessing will manifest itself. The fact that the peacemakers will be called children of god in the future, means the peacemakers are now blessed. I think the pronunciation is carried over from King James time (and ties it in to sacred). Indeed, if Jesus said the peacemakers will be blessed by god in the future, I do not think the word would have two syllables.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

And of course you're not sure - that's the agnostic go-to :lol:
“Blessed” (often written “blessèd” in poetry) is almost always pronounced /ˈblɛsəd/ with two syllables when used as an adjective. The verb form “blessed” (past tense and past participle) is almost always pronounced /ˈblɛst/ with one syllable.
I found that but since I don't know a gerund from an infinitive. . . but then. . .
Rule 1. When blessed is used as a verb, it is pronounced with one syllable (blest).
Example: Before we ate, our uncle Tony blessed [blest] the meal.

Rule 2. When the word blessed is used as part of an adverb (blessedly) or a noun (blessedness), it is pronounced with two syllables (bles-id).
Examples:
She hugged him blessedly [bles-id-lee, adverb] upon learning he had quit his bad habit.
The Eucharist is revered for its blessedness [bles-id-nes, noun] within the Christian faith.

Rule 3. When blessed is used as an adjective, it is typically pronounced with two syllables (bles-id). However, in certain cases, it may be pronounced with only one syllable (blest) as an isolated instance of inflection developed through familiarity with American English.
Examples:
Annie’s baptism was a blessed [bles-id] moment, particularly for her devoted grandparents.
Blessed [bles-id] are the poor. But The poor are blessed [blest, adjective].

Rule 4. When the blessed is used as a noun meaning “blessed one,” “people who are blessed,” or “those whose souls are in heaven” (Collins Dictionary), either pronunciation blest or bles-id may be used.
en:

You surely cannot disagree that all 9 beatitudes declare that the blessing is actualized in the future?
5 "they will", 1 "they shall", 2 "kingdom of heaven" (which is clearly not yet realized) and 1 "reward in heaven". These blessings are anticipatory - I'm sure the poor didn't feel blessed by poverty or the mourning by death. But they could feel that their life was not a condemnation to eternal loss but that there was a promised gain.

Whatever we think of that idea, it's certainly what the beatitudes express. (And those who want to say "blest" are free to do so and those who say "blessid" are equally welcome) :ok

My own notion (afaik) is that Jesus was also drawing attention to how more fortunate people should regard those less fortunate and not to despise or take advantage of those who might be considered a bit naff - peaceful folks, merciful people (forgivers) and so on. Or something like that.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:27 am
Whatever we think of that idea, it's certainly what the beatitudes express. (And those who want to say "blest" are free to do so and those who say "blessid" are equally welcome) :ok

My own notion (afaik) is that Jesus was also drawing attention to how more fortunate people should regard those less fortunate and not to despise or take advantage of those who might be considered a bit naff - peaceful folks, merciful people (forgivers) and so on. Or something like that.
Well, if the King's English was good enough for Jesus, it should be good enough for you!
GAH!

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

As a full pedant, I will point out the list all are present tense: Blessed ARE the. . . The future is expressed in a subordinate clause. The trouble is that Schools not longer teach real grammar and sentence structure. We are all free to construct it what ever way we want, and that is so fun.

snailgate.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Sue U wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:52 pm
Well, if the King's English was good enough for Jesus, it should be good enough for you!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

TCM is running Gandhi tonight. I hadn’t seen it since it first hit HBO after its initial release back in the 80s so I’m watching it now.

And thinking about how Gandhi is no longer beloved in India, but rather there are now public celebrations of his assassin as India’s good son.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/comments ... ndia-modi/

What a funny old world it is.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Burning Petard wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:40 pm
and that is so fun.
You know I cannot. . . aargh, I can. . . not. . . must resist. . . :oops:

:lol: Sue!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:31 pm
Burning Petard wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:40 pm
and that is so fun.
You know I cannot. . . aargh, I can. . . not. . . must resist. . . :oops:
Too funny, I totally missed that until you highlighted it.

Very clever, snailgate!

Embrace the absurdity, people.
~ Carl Sagan

wesw

Post by wesw »

dr king is no longer revered....

what a shame

mandela?

much the same

gandhi was a great movie

we took a class field trip to watch it in junior high