Home for Random Thoughts

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
MajGenl.Meade

Re: Home for Random Thoughts

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I'm surprised to find the BBC has a website with news in pidgin. But I guess it's big in Nigeria
For one press conference, WHO Europe head Hans Klugetok say Europe fit see half a million more deaths by February.
E blame insufficient vaccine take-up for di increase.

"We must change our tactics, from reacting to surges of Covid-19 to preventing dem from happening in di first place," e tok.

Di rate of vaccination don slow across Europe in recent months. Oga Kluge also blame di relaxation of public health measures for rising infections for di WHO European region, wey cover 53 kontries including parts of Central Asia.
That Hans Klugetok be down wid it!

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

That's not pidgin ... not any more, anyway.   That's an attempt at legitimizing AAVE (Afro-American Vernacular English — or what used to be called 'Ebonics') by putting it into printed form.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

And before that:

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:11 pm
That's not pidgin ... not any more, anyway.   That's an attempt at legitimizing AAVE (Afro-American Vernacular English — or what used to be called 'Ebonics') by putting it into printed form.

er, no it isn't. They don't speak Ebonics in Nigeria
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:05 pm
Bicycle Bill wrote:

Then again, they're not Americans (at least for the majority of Nigerian citizens), nor do they speak American English (not sure about British English) in Nigeria.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Finally getting around to watching seasons 2-5 of The Wire. Season 4 episode 1 a street scene and in the background someone’s hawking product labeled ‘pandemic’. Lololol
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Big RR wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:34 pm
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:05 pm
Bicycle Bill wrote:

Then again, they're not Americans (at least for the majority of Nigerian citizens), nor do they speak American English (not sure about British English) in Nigeria.
I have heard Nigerians point out that they speak the British version of English, and English is the official language of Nigeria although definitely not the most spoken language there. I also have a terrible time getting past the accent which is decidedly not British in nature.

Gob

Post by Gob »

There is no British accent.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Quite. I am often asked where my accent is from. I invariably* reply "I'm not the one with the accent!" I make a lot of friends that way . . .

* OK, not invariably. I sometimes say "Well I'm not from this part of Kentucky."

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Gob wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:25 am
There is no British accent.
there are hundreds of them
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Gob

Post by Gob »

That's right, none are known as "British" though.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

They are if you don't live in Britain

Gob

Post by Gob »

Yeah, but what do they know?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

The same could be said of an American accent but ours don’t vary quite as rapidly
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Gob wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:00 pm
Yeah, but what do they know?
Why, they know one has an accent associated with the Isles of British, the Kingdom of Union and the garden sheds of England

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

How Americans see Britain...

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?