Home for Random Thoughts

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
TPFKA@W

Re: Home for Random Thoughts

Post by TPFKA@W »

So Jane Fonda has been making the news for being arrested for protesting for climate change. I have to wonder the size of her footprint jetting/driving about protesting. I've no idea really but it seems hers is probably bigger than mine.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Jane Fonda has been around long enough to witness the effects of humans on climate change. She's also been around long enough to experience the effects of surgeons on face change.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:Jane Fonda has been around long enough to witness the effects of humans on climate change. She's also been around long enough to experience the effects of surgeons on face change.
She's had a couple of hips replaced. She just keeps plugging along. Love her in Grace and Frankie.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

At 10:30 this a.m. it's 97F.

And I always thought F stood for Fahrenheit but now I know better

At least we have this to look forward to at 6 p.m. after all the dagbesoekers have left....

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Why do the media always call it a "space walk"? They're obviously not walking; they're floating.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

It can't be "space floating" because that's what they do all day. This is perhaps "going for a float outside"
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Why do people send 'praying hands' emojis on WhatsApp? Am I supposed to believe the cartoon hands are actually prayers? Or am I to be amazed at people's care for someone else? What's the point?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:Why do people send 'praying hands' emojis on WhatsApp? Am I supposed to believe the cartoon hands are actually prayers? Or am I to be amazed at people's care for someone else? What's the point?
Same as thoughts and prayers from Congress & WH after school/mass shootings?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Albrecht Dürer did it best:

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

"Same as thoughts and prayers from Congress & WH after school/mass shootings?"

You are exactly right, BSG.

snailgate

RayThom

Home for Random Thoughts

Post by RayThom »

Major prayer fail:

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
MajGenl.Meade wrote:Why do people send 'praying hands' emojis on WhatsApp? Am I supposed to believe the cartoon hands are actually prayers? Or am I to be amazed at people's care for someone else? What's the point?
Same as thoughts and prayers from Congress & WH after school/mass shootings?
Perhaps but those are pols and we expect grandstanding. I'm thinking more of closed WhatsApp groups where we all know each other. I won't post praying hands on such groups and I won't say "Happy Birthday" either.

I send the birthday greeting direct to the person's cell; keeping it private. (Mind, I'm glad for the first one to WhatsApp the "HB" because otherwise I probably wouldn't know there was one!

Am I grandstanding now by telling anyone that I'm so righteous? And modest? And meanly suspicious of my friend's motives?

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

It seems to me that at this point that national hotel/motel chains who advertise that their rooms have free wi-fi would be like for them to advertise that their rooms all have TV sets...

Are there any left that don't?
ImageImageImage

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

And doesn't "Free Wifi" really just mean that the fee isn't listed on your bill?

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Motel 6 still charges a $3 WiFi fee.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

And I've stayed in a lot of Marriotts that offer a slow "free" wifi with an upcharge for a wifi that has a more usable speed. It's offered for free to certain preferred status customers, but it's a way of nice and diming (kind of like heaping a resort fee on top of the room charge for use of the amenities).

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

When someone gets up later than usual, why is that called "sleeping in"? If you get up earlier than usual are you "sleeping out"?
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

At the listed prices of some hotels, you should not only have free wifi but a courtesy laptop and printer (with an ample supply of ink and paper) in the room to be able to use it.

Me, all I need is a room with a door that locks, a reasonably soft bed to sleep in, and a toilet to pee into in the morning.... and I can't see paying three-figure prices for something like that.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I also like a sink to wash my hands in after using the toilet and a shower. And, usually, a place to park my car, hopefully for free (well included in the price I pay).

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

We took a trip to the Smokies in November. It had just snowed and was quite a spectacular drive. There were a few "Jesus take the wheel" moments on the way down to Cherokee (thank Nissan for keeping us on the road). At one point, I think it was in or near Knoxville, we stayed at a Drury Inn and had free dinner and breakfast, fast wifi, a place to wash our hands after our shower (OCD much RR?) for just over $100. The dinner and breakfast was nothing to write home about, but we were pooped from driving, it was dark early and we just wanted to eat and go to bed so it was handy.
I also like a sink to wash my hands in after using the toilet
Your mama taught you well. If you don't see a future in the lawyering thing you could get fast food work.