Home for Random Thoughts

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
Big RR

Re: Home for Random Thoughts

Post by Big RR »

The biggest problem with the golden rule is that most people don't understand that it is a rule to exhort you to control your own conduct; it does not give you carte blanche to tell others what they should/must do. And this desire to control others is pretty common, whatever part of the political spectrum you are on. Christianity (and judaism as I understand it) commands followers to do good and avoid evil, but many see it as a charge to do "good" and demand others to do the same. Certainly we must definitely stand up for others and prevent harm to victims, but we have no right to try and force others to change their views/beliefs.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

You mean, people such as Putin?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Well, every rule does have its exceptions.

I recall Ralph Abernathy commenting on the "Turn the other cheek" admonition. He said, "But they don't tell you what to do when they hit you on that cheek too. That's when you turn around and kick the hell put of them".

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

:lol:

I just had two random thoughts and am now wondering if this one is a third?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

:lol:

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Burning Petard wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:19 pm
I hated the taste of ovaltine
You would have loved British radio :lol:

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I generally detested all chocolate milk; chocolate ice cream and shakes/malts were fine, but you couldn't get me to drink ovaltine (or bosco, or cocoa marsh, or hersheys, or PDQ...). Not sure why, but I just preferred nature's own milk.

Gob

Post by Gob »

I have a mug of Ovaltine most nights. Great way of getting off to sleep.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Try blending Ovaltine and Marmite

Then you can get off with Martine

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Another random thought, by someone else, brings me back to this previous random thought of my own...
Econoline wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:19 pm
The Golden Rule ("What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor") is now considered "being woke"...OK. I get that. I can accept that. But what I DON'T get and CANNOT accept is however the hell this came to be considered an INSULT.
I just found this. (Yes, this is the same Mike Godwin who originally promulgated Godwin's Law way back in 1990.)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I don’t usually comment on baby/parent resemblances because often I can’t see it until the kids get older.

But seriously did anyone’s baby ever resemble them more than George Clooney’s boy resembles him??

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

My mum said I was the spitting image of my dad.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Was your dad a bum?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

No butt he was cheeky

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I was thinking a plumber, but you guys are likely right.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Rumer Willis got her dad’s chin. Most unfortunately instead of looking like Demi.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:39 am
Rumer Willis got her dad’s chin. Most unfortunately instead of looking like Demi.
At least she didn't get her dad's hair.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:58 am
TPFKA@W wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:39 am
At least she didn't get her dad's hair.
Yet.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

When three people have sex, it's called a threesome.

When two people have sex, it's called a twosome.

Now I understand why people are always calling me handsome.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

"But what is one really to do in a situation like this? He is literally taking it one day and hour at a time," said Hlazo-Webster.
This seems a bit of a bizarre concept to me, taking things one day - even one hour - at a time. It's true that my experiments with skipping direct from Saturday to next Thursday have not been all that successful. On the other hand, the practise of putting clocks back and forth one hour twice a year seems to work for some.