Home for Random Thoughts

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
Crackpot

Re: Home for Random Thoughts

Post by Crackpot »

Well they canceled my moms Dr. appointment and didn’t tell her
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

The existence of Baby Yoda

also implies the existence of Sporty Yoda, Ginger Yoda, Scary Yoda, and Posh Yoda

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

There is no “i” in gaslight.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Econoline wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:25 pm
There is no “i” in gaslight.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

If that GIF signifies bewilderment...

Take a moment, and ponder the definition of "gaslighting". :loon 8-)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The joke escapes you, apparently.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Obviously. That's why it's such a good one.
God @The Tweet of God

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

We don't have a tall kitchen. So why do I keep buying the tall kitchen garbage bags?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:34 am
We don't have a tall kitchen. So why do I keep buying the tall kitchen garbage bags?
Social climbing?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Burning Petard

What is an insult?

Post by Burning Petard »

There has been an exchange of letters in the Washington Post about a story on the politics of West Virginia---it was written to be tribal.

Some have complained that this is a horrible insult to the people of West Virginia.

What is an insult? For me it seems to be a public statement (not something said one-on-one with no other witnesses). And it must be a statement that my behavior is in conflict with the image I am trying to project about myself to the rest of the world. But the degree of insult depends on the believability of the insulter, the importance that characteristic has for me, and if it is true.

If it is true, it hurts, independent of the other two factors. If it is not true at all and is clearly refutable, I don't feel any insult at all. Rather I feel a degree of superiority over the weakness of the source who by doing it, weakens their own public reliability.

I suspect the item about the tribes of West Virginia is objected because it is true.

snailgate

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

How do we know that toothpaste was invented in West Virginia?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:40 am
How do we know that toothpaste was invented in West Virginia?
If it had been invented anywhere else, it would have been called "teethpaste".
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Burning Petard

Ca Prop 65 Wood Workers?

Post by Burning Petard »

Anybody here have connections with lumber, carpentry, wood working in California?

I bought a new Case Sod Buster Jr knife over the week-end. The box has "WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov"

Which seems to me to less than useful information for a simple slip-lock pocket knife with one carbon steel blade, brass liners, handle of bone probably from beef slaughterhouses in South America. There was an information sheet in the box, 12x17in in printed on both sides with small print in six languages, but nothing about Prop 65. I am waiting for a call back from the customer information department at Case Cutlery. Meantime.

I printed out the complete CA Prop 65 list, as of the end of 2021. I was pleased to see that Chloramphenicol was delisted in 2013. Where I worked for 39 years, we used lots of that stuff and some intentionally ended up in the product.

But near the very end of the list is "Wood Dust" with no CAS number, and also no 'Safe Harbor' amount on another list of how much workers can safely be exposed to. I knew Walnut saw dust was on the list, but any kind of wood sawdust? What has that done to the industries, from cutting down trees to sanding a slab of wood before painting or sealing?

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Did you explore that link included in your post?

Prop 65 establishes a mandate to inform the public about substances known to cause cancer. If you go down the drop-down list to wood dust and read what’s there, it’s just information informing the public, which includes workers in any industry that involves exposure to wood dust, of the link between exposure to wood dust and cancers of the nose, throat and sinuses. There is also information regarding methods to reduce exposure to wood dust.

Industry where wood dust exposure is common would be governed by OSHA regulations for workplace safety. I suspect it is a requirement on paper at least that workers in said industries wear OSHA approved particulate filtration masks to reduce their exposure.

Presumably because some people will use a little pocket knife like the Case Sod Buster Jr. to whittle on wood thus creating wood dust, the warning is relevant.

I know folks like to make fun of the Prop 65 warnings but personally I think so long as they are based in sound science, the more information given to the public to encourage personal responsibility for health, the better. I’ve purchased several products over the years that included a Prop 65 warning and I’ve always looked up the warning and learned something from it. Now I’m a person who in general places a high value on continuing education, so maybe (definitely, from what I can tell in my day to day observation of my fellow humans) that puts me in a small subset of the population. Nevertheless I think having the information available is far better than not, even if the vast majority of people never bother to read the information or act on it.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Except with all of the warnings and notices, no one pays attention to any of them anymore. Be nice to have a system that ranks warnings and notices from actually important to no duh.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

LR is right. Prop 65 warnings are everywhere - what's more they're ubiquitous - to the extent that they are widely disregarded. It's the modern equivalent of the boy crying "Wolf!"

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

🙄
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I see the prop 65 warning so often here in California that I'm surprised when I see a product that doesn't have it. What's the point of telling us that there are cancer risks associated with products and then allowing them to be sold to you? Is it to protect us or is it to eliminate the liability of the vendor?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

When this Prop 65 first went into effect, it was assumed that it would be enforced without State involvement. It was to depend on 'bounty hunter' suits by citizens. Texas was not the first to do this tactic with their Anti-abortion law.

But back in California, many of these substances are 'known to the state to cause cancer or reproductive harm' but not in other states. One more reason to move to Arizona--to avoid cancer or weird kids.

snailgate

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Interesting.  Burning Petard posted with a question about a Proposition 65 warning on a pocketknife, and inside of 30 minutes BSG was weighing in with her personal style of femme-splaining, while once again off-handedly trying to show how much smarter she is than anyone else around here
Now I’m a person who in general places a high value on continuing education, so maybe (definitely, from what I can tell in my day to day observation of my fellow humans) that puts me in a small subset of the population.
Then, when a couple of other people made posts that questioned the efficacy of these nearly-ubiquitous and highly-unspecific warnings, she replied — not with any further cogent arguments, but only a sulky-face smiley.

I've also lost track of the number of times she has told people, not just myself but others as well, to just go get fucked or worse — see the sig line (excerpted from one of BSG's posts) that TPFKA@W uses, for instance.

But then, she calls me out and has supposedly "unfriended" me (blocked me) because I'll push back once in a while instead of just rolling over and playing dead for her.  Some people....
-"BB"-