oldr_n_wsr's alcoholic adventure

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
oldr_n_wsr

Re: oldr_n_wsr's alcoholic adventure

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

And yesterday was the 6th anniversary of the Medford Pharmacy Fathers day robbery where a drug addict shot and killed four people so he could feed his habit.
I think that put the heroin/pain killer addiction problem front and center. From my vantage point, I think it has only gotten worse. :o :cry: :(

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Oldr hasn't posted in almost a month. Has anyone heard from him lately?
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

It has been quite a while; I hope he's just taking a break.

RayThom

oldr_n_wsr's Alcoholic Adventure

Post by RayThom »

Big RR wrote:It has been quite a while; I hope he's just taking a break.
I think o_n_w mentioned something about an ATV vacation outing some time ago. I hope safety was his first priority.

I can't imagine him leaving the forum without a last word. Hopefully it is just a break.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I can't imagine him leaving the forum without a last word. Hopefully it is just a break.
I can't imagine that either...

I echo Guin's request for anyone here who might have had recent off-board communication with him to please let us know...
ImageImageImage

Gob

Post by Gob »

I'll email him when I get home.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Gob, did you hear anything? It's now been over a month since he posted.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

And this is a guy who just a month earlier posted to let everybody here know that he would be gone on vacation for a week... :?
Last edited by Lord Jim on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

I hope he didn't get in touch with his old grandad and ex-friend, Jim Beam for a reunion. They really like to mess with his head.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I have nothing to add other than my concern for oldr. I do recall that he had been in a heated discussion about health care in which he was obviously upset and was opposed by a few people. Maybe he needed to get away from here and cool off for a while.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I hope so, but I think he would have said something if that were the case.

I hope he just got busy at work, or with working on on his daughter's house or something else and just hasn't had the time to post.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Taff
Thanks for thinking of me. Still sober, just taking a break from planb.

Was seeing too much negativity so figured I would take a holiday for a bit.

I'll be back sooner or later.

Send my best to all, (you and Hen especially).
O-n-W
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

:ok
ImageImageImage

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Looks like I guessed that one right.

So, should I now give hints for who will be MIA next?

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Joe Guy wrote:... So, should I now give hints for who will be MIA next?
Yes, please do, the suspense is killing me. Regardless, I know it's not going to be me -- I'm too cynical to take anyone's opinion of me seriously. Plus ignorance is bliss, right?

If someone tries to ruffle my feathers I usually check the author, snort, chuckle, shrug, and move on. Bless their little hearts. Life is too short and cyberspace is too infinite to worry about such frivolities.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Joe Guy wrote:Looks like I guessed that one right.

So, should I now give hints for who will be MIA next?
Well, wesw has been on French leave for a while now.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Thanks Gob, glad to hear I was wrong and that he is just taking a break.

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Honnneeeeyyy, I'm Baaaaaaackkkk
Thanks for the concerns, I am still happily sober. Made it through some tragedies and same joys.
Didn't look around the forum other than this thread so don't know what has been going on with everyone. Hope you are all doing well. I guess my last post was in June/July so it has been a while. See if I can remember everything that went on. Some I will never forget. :(
Good things:
Went to Vegas to visit the son in May (I might have mentioned that already).

Continue to work with my sponsee. He just celebrated a year in early January.

Completed three years of sobriety on July 31,2017. Celebrated at my home group on the last Friday of August. Still sober today.

Went on a canoe/kayak trip down the Delaware river in august. IT's what dad wanted for his birthday (turned 85yo). The whole family from dad to my daughter, brothers family, sisters family and we all had great day. Bald eagle swooped down about 20 feet from us and snatched a fish. Happened so fast we didn't get pictures. The camera in my mind has it captured. Dads parkinsons has been getting worse as he is hunched over and shaking a lot. But I put him in the front of my canoe (no way he was able to do a kayak) and let him paddle a little. Mostly it was me paddling and the river current getting us downstream.

Took a vacation (holiday to gob) trip to Aruba with my wifes cousins. Forgot the name of the place but it was nice and relaxing. IT was a time share away from the big hotels. Made a couple of aa meetings. Little different there. The people show up "en-mass" at the exact start time. I got there about 10 minutes early and was wondering if there was a meeting. The aa triangle was on the door so that gave me a little comfort that I was in the right place. One guy showed up about 1 minute early and opened the place and as I sat down about 15 people all walked in together. Meeting was in broken English (broken with Danish/Spanish/caribean/etc).

Went ATV-ing in the eastern half of the island which is pretty much a desert. Cave exploring and shore excursion and some natural bridge (carved by the waves) that collapsed a few weeks before we were there. Jumped into a cave/water pool fed by the ocean. Got a jet-ski for a a couple of hours also. We were there when Maria was slamming into PR. Some people were saying not to go in the water as it was too rough. To me the waves looked like a calm day here on Long Islands south shore. And they were high enough to jump and get the jet ski up totally out of the water. So that was fun.

Son was able to come home for Christmas even if it was only 5 days.

Sucky Things:
Brother-in-law died in late September right before we went to Aruba. They were supposed to come with us but...... Only 65 and just retired a year ago. Some kind of stomach cancer. I was close to him and miss him.

My dad died on November 12 2017. Day after my moms birthday (she died in 1998). They found him in a dry creek about an acre from his house. A friend of his called my sister sunday morning saying he couldn't get in touch with him from Saturday night. 911 called and my brother in law went over and that's when they found him. It was 18°F that morning and he was out there in his Sunday church pants and a just a t-shirt. Looks like at some point he fell and hit his head as there was a cut on his head and blood on a rock. No autopsy but signs of a stroke (foam in mouth...). We figure he got disoriented and wondered around outside sans coat, hat and boots. Guess we'll never really know what happened. I get some solace in he didn't spend a week/month in the hospital/hospice that it was over relatively quick and it was in a place he loved.

One day wake and a service the next morning. We brought his Harley into the funeral parlor along with some of his R/C planes. Over 200 people came by to pay respects. He was cremated and is on the shelf with moms ashes. I made a new box so they can both be in the same ashes box. We are planning a Viking funeral that dad wanted. I'll make some kind of Viking long boat, put both their ashes in it, set it on fire on the lake.
I miss him terribly. So much left unsaid (nothing bad nor apologies, did that when I first got sober). I miss his council. Circle of life and all that. :shrug
Dealing with the estate. I get to be the executor so tracking down accounts and all that. Thankfully it is 1/3 for each of us (me, brother , sister) and no clashes bad feelings, etc. I took the hog, sister took the car and brother gets extra cash when all is split.

Getting a little depressed so I am signing off for now. Going on vacation to dominican republic Monday so be gone for a bit again.
Thanks again
:ok

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Glad to hear from you
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.