oldr_n_wsr's alcoholic adventure

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
Scooter

Re: oldr_n_wsr's alcoholic adventure

Post by Scooter »

Sorry about the losses. Good to see you're making time to be good to yourself and spend time with family.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

The best of times, the worst of times. Thanks for sharing. :hug:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

o-n-w, through good times and bad... life's long and winding road. Taking all into account, you seem to be in good spirits and you've handled it all with a clear mind, and best of all, soberly.

As an alcoholic my cynicism needle usually ticks in the red zone when it comes to other alcoholics. Early on in your absence I had posted my bad feeling that you probably relapsed and you needed the time-out to work on a new plan. I'm very glad to hear I was totally wrong, and I apologize for my lack of faith in something so important and life affirming to you. Congrats on your three years sobriety -- that's quite a step.

It appears you'll be gone again for awhile -- I wish I had the wherewithal to be so active. OK, and not to sound too pedestrian -- keep up the good work. Peace.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Nice to see you checking in oldr...

Deep condolences for your losses and congratulations on your successes...

(Looks like you're becoming quite the traveler; good for you)
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Sorry for your losses, but glad that you are enjoying life. I've had a couple of good visits to the D.R., have a good time and take in some of the amazing history of the island.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

It's good to see you back. There have been some worries on your behalf. I'm glad there was no need. Keep up the good work, and keep posting.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Welcome back oldr, you were missed. condolences on your losses, but glad to hear you're doing well. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Hey big fella, welcome back!!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Thanks for your condolences and well wishes. It means a lot to me.
Yes, I am enjoying life, even the bumps in the road. As my sponser says, we didn't get sober to be miserable. If I was miserable in sobriety, i might as well drink. And the last time I drank...well you know what happened.

The trip was great. Hanging out with people I met in high school and some even before that. Remained friends all these years. They knew about my alcoholism and were a bit worried. Even asked a few times if their drinking bothered me. The only thing that bothered me was how sweet the iced tea was, but found a few bartenders and waiters that made fresh brewed tea and poured it over ice for me. Of course a nice tip helped the process. :lol:

Went deep sea fishing one day and caught nothing. Saw a whale and a manate (sp?) and had a few baraccuda rip through the bait but not much else. Didn't help that there were 20 foot swells that day. Neither of us got sea sick but the people that went out that morning (we went out in the afternoon) three of the 5 were that special gray/green color that only the sea sick get. The one lady got off the boat and was begging us to take dramamine. We kindly declined and made it thorugh without wven a slight queasey feeling.

Snorkeled and went a on sunset booze cruise. Again, way too sweet iced tea and no teapot on the boat to make some fresh stuff. I am sure my sugar count went way up.

Other than that, jsut trying to get into the swing of regular life now that i am home. Taking care of some estate matters, but all is good or at least pointed in the right direction.
All for now.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

o_n_w, whenever I'm with alcohol drinkers (almost any social function) I find that I no longer need to keep up appearances by going through the motions of drinking. If it's a dinner, I will usually follow up with an espresso or coffee but that's the extent of it. I may drink nothing at all for hours at end.

You might be drinking the ice tea -- or other beverages -- so those around you won't feel uncomfortable. Do you really need that prop to fit in? If that's how you're thinking maybe you should change up the behavior. Don't worry about them -- it's not your job. Loosen up if you find yourself thinking about what others are thinking. Peace.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

RayThom wrote:o_n_w, whenever I'm with alcohol drinkers (almost any social function) I find that I no longer need to keep up appearances by going through the motions of drinking. If it's a dinner, I will usually follow up with an espresso or coffee but that's the extent of it. I may drink nothing at all for hours at end.

You might be drinking the ice tea -- or other beverages -- so those around you won't feel uncomfortable. Do you really need that prop to fit in? If that's how you're thinking maybe you should change up the behavior. Don't worry about them -- it's not your job. Loosen up if you find yourself thinking about what others are thinking. Peace.
I don't think I am drinking iced tea so others don't fel uncomfortable. :shrug Interesting question though. Maybe I'm drinking iced tea so I don't feel uncomfortable.
But I do like iced tea and it is my beverage of choice. Always have some fresh brewed in the fridge at home and a 1/2 gallon tagging along in the car. Not a big water drinker.
And the people I was with are old and very dear friends who I think were honestly seeing how I was doing. They have known (and been a part of) my story/recovery from the beginning of my struggles and suicide attempt and current/ongoing recovery. This group (and more) get together a few times a year either for dinner or bar-b-q or whatever. But those were/are singular events, not a week long affair.

But all is good. Even had one friend inquiring about aa as a whole (most only know the name aa and not what's behind it) and another has a son in aa/na who knows he can come and ask anything be it my help with him or the addiction side of the story.
Thanks for the perspective. I will be thinking about it. But not too hard 'cause I can still obsess about things which usually is not good for me.
:ok

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

But not too hard 'cause I can still obsess about things which usually is not good for me.
that just means you're human oldr; most of us do that at one time or another.

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Big RR wrote:
But not too hard 'cause I can still obsess about things which usually is not good for me.
that just means you're human oldr; most of us do that at one time or another.
Yeah, but my mind is a dangerous neighborhood. :lol: Gotta try and stay out of there. :mrgreen:

Still waiting for snow up in Pa so I can snowmobile. Need to ride some kind of machine. Not mc weather and no snow although we're supposed to get some this weekend here on the island (but that won't help, snowmobiles are in pa). Rather than the snow blower, I think I'll plow with the tractor. Not as much fun as a motorcycle or snowmobile, but it will have to do.
Wanted to jet ski down in DR but the resort (Secrets at Cap Cana if you want to look it up) didn't rent them. In fact I didn't see them anywhere. We went to Punta Cana for some deep sea fishing and another day went there for snorkling, and saw none.
Then we tried to take out a catamaran at the resort to do a little sailing, they said it was too windy!!?!?!?!? :o :shrug
My buddy has a catamaran he sails around long island and I have a sun fish so we have sailed but they still said no. Bummer, but such is life.

Built a nice box for my dad and moms ashes. forgive me if I have said this before, I don't feel like scrolling back and checking . Mom had her own box but was too small to fit dad in there also, so they will be together again. my brother and his one daughter/husband and their friends are going up this weekend so I gave him the box to put them in it. i told my wife if the storm tracks west and they get snow, I'm heading up there. She's ok with that. My daughter will probably come as she loves to snowmobile too. My wife is not a snowmobiler.

All for now
Later

wesw

Post by wesw »

hey man!

the rockfish are running, right about now.... my daffodils are up, so they are arriving....

...when the dogwoods bloom they will be thick in the rivers.

I haven t read the thread lately, I hope that you have been well....

I have been drinking way too much beer......

wesw

Post by wesw »

what happened to oldr?

wesw

Post by wesw »

fuck ya ll then....

...don t tell me.

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

wesw wrote:what happened to oldr?
wesw wrote:fuck ya ll then....

...don t tell me.
Be nice wesw. :)

Hi I'm oldr_n_wsr and I am an alcoholic and I have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. :mrgreen:

I'm still alive, just haven't been here in some time.
Was cleaning up some 'favorites' in explorer and saw the link for plan b and figured it's been a while so I popped in.
Thanks for thinking of me wesw. :ok
Don't remember the last time I was here and am too lazy to go look it up so if I repeat myself, well you can skip over those parts.

Still sober. Completed 4 sober orbits around the sun on july 31. Have 1.4 proteges/sponsees. One guy who i have been working with for the last year and a half (and is doing great) and 4 guys who say they want to get sober but never seem to want to do any kind of work in order to get sober. In and out, in and out, out and out. I can't do the work for them, all I can do is be there when they want to do the work.
Go to AA meetings all the time. Get asked to speak at a lot of meetings also. I've been accused of being an "AA Big Book Thumper", I like to say "I'm a Big Book Enthusiast". And that is the truth. The program in that book has gotten me in touch with a Higher Power that has gotten me sober and keeps me sober. I lead a spiritual life and life is great because of that. It may not be for everyone, but for me it is what got me where I am today. I have peace and serenity in my life now, something I didn't have when I was drinking nor even for some time after I stopped drinking. There are no voices in my head nor anxiety attacks nor fear. I honestly believe that "We are not human beings on a spiritual journey. We are spiritual beings on a human journey.

I miss my dad. Going to the lake house is not the same without him being there. But such is life and I still enjoy going there. Keeping the harley up there for now. it is so much nicer riding up there than down here on long island so for the forseeable future I'll keep both bikes.
Went up there over july 4th holiday and rode for a few hours every day and got spoiled. When I got back to LI, I didn't ride for a week. I was spoiled, but eventually I rode down here again and pretty much rode every day for the rest of the summer. Not riding anymore this year as the leaves are on the roads and one of my accidents (way back when) was on wet leaves. Going up this weekend and staying til monday 11/12/18. It will be a year monday since he died. Figured I'll go down to the creek where he passed away and spend some time there. Probably have to do some chores also. Leaves need to be picked up, snowmobiles need to be readied for the riding season, harley needs to be winterized, need to put the snowblower on the tractor. Dad did so much, now it's up to me and brother to look after the place/machines. And we are keeping the place. I told my siblings, my wife and kids, I am never selling it.
Almost all done with dad's estate. Everything split 3 ways. Just waiting for the state of Pa. to be done with whatever they do and say we paid enough inheritance taxes so we can take control of the remaining estate money.

Went to the outer banks, north carolina in late july with my brother and sister and families. My wife did not come. She was sick the week before and decided to stay home and get better. Had as good a time as I could without her. Son drove in from Las vegas to spend the week and that was great. Did some deep sea fishing. Caught a white marlin and about 30 mahi mahi. Catch and released the marlin but ate the mahi mahi. Good stuff. Even went to AA meetings down there. They do things a little different than up here on LI but the message is the same.

Aside from work, AA and loving my wife and kids, I do a lot of woodworking. Woodburning, small crafts like sleds and Christmas trees and wishing well planters and yard ornaments. Hope to start some kind of woodworking business after I retire, or at least try and sell some of the things I now give away. People keep saying I should go to craft fairs and try and sell the stuff, and my daughter wants to get my stuff on etsy (I think that's the name of the site) but for now it's a labor of love.

Hope everyone here is doing well. I can't say I missed the place and probably won't be staying long, but I do miss you guys and wish you all the best in your lives. Life is too short and I have too many roses to smell, things to do and people to help.
Take care everyone.
oldr_n_wsr

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

o_n_w... he's alive... he's alive...

It's nice hearing from you. Your update kind of reads like one of those often bittersweet yearly letters found inside holiday cards send to family and friends. Bottom line -- four years clean and sober. Good on you. Remember, sobriety always beats the alternative.

I will hit 37 years sober on November 15th... YAY! It was the best decision I ever made. Life is good.

Be good and be safe. Peace.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I appreciate the update and glad to hear you are doing well oldr!

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Nice to hear from you oldr :ok
ImageImageImage