Over the summer Congressional recess . . .

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Guinevere

Over the summer Congressional recess . . .

Post by Guinevere »

the Trumpanzee fires Sessions and replaces him with Cruz.

What else do you think might happen?
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Lord Jim

Re: Over the summer Congressional recess . . .

Post by Lord Jim »

Cruz has already shot that down...

No way is he stupid enough to give up what he's got to take that no-win thankless gig...
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Definitely a problem that, if in the beginning there were at least a few competent people who might take a spot in the administration, the number keeps dwindling. If ever there was a person who needed good help . . .

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

How 'bout Brian A. Benczkowski as the POTUS replacement for Sessions as Attny Genl. He is already in the pipeline as nominee to head the criminal division of the Justice Department. He clearly meets some of Trump's casting requirements--he once was the legal rep for Alfa Bank, one of Russia's largest banks.

snailgate.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I think of the job were actually available and offered to Cruz he would have a very difficult time turning it down. But still to be determined.

In other news, strong tough privileged white male Rex Tillerson can't hack the SOS job and is taking some kind of leave of absence. A job that weak sickly 70-year-old female did masterfully for four solid years. :roll: :roll: :roll:
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

If ever there was a person who needed good help . ..
Hard to get good help when you publicly beat and humiliate the current help...
ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Even though I was strongly opposed to Sessions' appointment, at this point I hope he hangs in and forces Trump to fire him, despite all the public humiliation he's being forced to endure...

I see a one-two punch here being set-up with Trump's end goal to further obstruct justice by firing Mueller...

Punch one is to have his minions and his legal team (backed up by his own tweets) seek to discredit and smear Mueller and the first-class team he has assembled in order to set up a phony basis for firing him...

Punch two is to have someone more pliant replace Rosenstein as the Justice Department official overseeing Mueller, (a new acting AG that replaces Sessions, or a new recess appointment AG) who will then use the trumped-up (pun intended) "conflict of interest" crap as justification for firing Mueller, and shutting down the Special Counsel investigation...

One thing is becoming more and more apparent from his words and behavior with every passing day...

Trump is very afraid that the Russiagate investigation is going to turn up evidence that will bring down his presidency, and he is desperate to stop that from happening...
ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

What we've been seeing unfolding over the past week or so is truly remarkable, (and not in a good way) even in light of all the not in a good way truly remarkable things we have seen from Trump...

We have a President of the United States, publicly and repeatedly admitting that he is furious with the Attorney General of the United States for daring to choose following the requirements of the law, over protecting him from the law...

And in the past couple of days, he has compounded this outrage by now also publicly excoriating the Attorney General for not misusing the Justice Department by launching a politically motivated investigation into his political opponents:
President Trump is keeping up pressure on Atty. Gen. Jeff Sessions, taking to Twitter at daybreak Tuesday to accuse the former senator and campaign ally and advisor of taking a "VERY weak" position at the Justice Department on "Hillary Clinton crimes."

In a post shortly after 6 a.m. EDT, the president also said: "Ukrainian efforts to sabotage Trump campaign — quietly working to boost Clinton. So where is the investigation A.G." He also tweeted: "Attorney General Jeff Sessions has taken a VERY weak position on Hillary Clinton crimes (where are E-mails & DNC server) & Intel leakers!"
http://www.latimes.com/politics/washing ... story.html

But what's even worse then having a President of the United States publicly and repeatedly attacking the chief law enforcement officer of the United States for refusing to break the law, is the fact that there are apparently millions of Americans who aren't the slightest bit bothered by it...

Can a republic survive if 1/3 of its population doesn't give a shit about its survival? :shrug
ImageImageImage

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

That's what happens when you allow your need to be right overrides the search for truth.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

The good news about this is that Trump's attacks on Sessions seem to be getting him in trouble even with the hard-right and the alt-right...

That might help drive down his poll numbers:
GOP backlash to Trump attacks on Attorney General Jeff Sessions signals political danger

WASHINGTON — President Trump’s firing of former FBI director James Comey set in motion a chain of events that’s proven politically devastating to his White House. The same could happen if he fires or forces out U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

“It’s stunning to me that he looks at what happened over the firing of Comey and his idea is to fire Sessions,” said Rob Jesmer, a longtime Republican strategist who is also a former executive director of the Republican Senatorial Campaign Committee.

“That firing’s been a disaster” that led to the appointment of special prosecutor Robert Mueller, said Jesmer. It also raised questions about potential obstruction of justice, since Trump later acknowledged he fired Comey because of the Russia investigation. “It’s made his life worse,” said Jesmer.

Signaling the potential political danger ahead, the diversity of conservatives rallying behind Sessions is significant. It ranges from the alt-right Breitbart News and conservative talk host Rush Limbaugh to family values and anti-immigration groups.

Sessions’ tenure as attorney general has been controversial among Democrats. Yet among Republicans, he’s seen as the president’s most loyal and early supporter. He gave up a safe seat representing the GOP-dominated state of Alabama in the Senate to support Trump’s agenda.

And he’s been among the Cabinet members who’ve most reliably delivered on Trump’s agenda, including tougher enforcement of immigration laws. In addition to incensing GOP members of Congress, Sessions’ departure could have a chilling effect on Trump’s other Cabinet appointees and senior advisers who may “head for the hills” after seeing Trump turn on one of his most loyal backers, said Jesmer.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 509182001/
Already, some news reports indicate Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is troubled by Trump’s public berating of Sessions. “It would definitely have a chilling effect” on the Cabinet, said Doug Heye, a Republican strategist who’s worked at the Republican National Committee and in the George W. Bush administration.

On the Hill, the "reverberations would be that this is a White House that thinks it's above the law," said Heye.

“What I don’t understand is what he thinks the end game is,” said Jesmer. “Russia is not going away.”
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 509182001/
ImageImageImage

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

And that's where Cruz comes in. I think he is the type who would cut a deal to be a lapdog AG, fire Mueller, take responsibility away from Rosenstein, and take over the Russian investigation and make it go away quickly. Perhaps in exchange for a different even more important job with lifetime tenure, down the road.....

The big if, of course, is the Trumpanzee in Chief. No one can rely on him, so Cruz (or anyone) would be taking a chance he won't turn on them, eventually. I can see that deal being talked about behind the scenes, and I also think Cruz is the type to gamble if the payoff could be huge.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

And that's where Cruz comes in. I think he is the type who would cut a deal to be a lapdog AG, fire Mueller, take responsibility away from Rosenstein, and take over the Russian investigation and make it go away quickly. Perhaps in exchange for a different even more important job with lifetime tenure, down the road.....
do you think the Senate would still improve him for such a position after all those shenanigans (including firing Sessions as part of the plan)? My guess is that it would be doubtful, and since Trump has shown that loyalty means nothing to him Cruz would have to be a bigger ass than I think he is to accept such a deal.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

The big if, of course, is the Trumpanzee in Chief. No one can rely on him, so Cruz (or anyone) would be taking a chance he won't turn on them, eventually.
And if anyone knows what it means to have Donald Trump turn on them, it's Ted Cruz, (completely unfounded allegations that his father was involved in the Kennedy assassination, completely unfounded allegations that he had five extra-marital affairs, etc.)
Perhaps in exchange for a different even more important job with lifetime tenure, down the road.....
And I'm sure that Cruz well understands what a promise from Il Boobce is worth...(Besides, Cruz wants to be President, not a SC Justice)

I don't think there's one chance in a thousand that Cruz would agree to give up a very likely (unless there's a Tsunami level wave election) re-election to the Senate, in exchange for taking this no job security position, especially not knowing where all the investigating is going to lead...

It's a complete no win for Cruz. Cruz is uber ambitious, and he's a young guy, who in his mind I'm sure sees lots of opportunity for another Presidential run. There's nothing about Cruz that suggests that he's stupid enough to jump into the cluster fuck of the Trump Administration, particularly into that hot seat job...

Ted Cruz has proven himself to be quite cunning and quite shrewd, and you'd have to be neither to take that on...

I'm sure if Trump had offered him the VP slot he would have taken it, but as for anything else, especially at this point, I don't see it...

He's just too personally ambitious and savvy a political operator to sign up for duty on the SS Trumptanic...
ImageImageImage

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Besides, Cruz wants to be President, not a SC Justice
Perhaps, but he is also a zealot, and might see a seat on the Supreme Court as a good way to advance his agenda well into the future. I think he'd seriously consider it.

But I don't think he is stupid enough to believe any promises of Trump, nor do I think he'd expect to breeze through confirmation after the services he provided to Trump.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Perhaps, but he is also a zealot
I disagree...

Rand Paul is a zealot...

Cruz is a cynical opportunist who got on the Tea Party bandwagon because he saw it as useful way to advance his own personal ambitions.
ImageImageImage

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I guess he could be an opportunist; but his embracing of the religious right (and theirs of him) seems to be genuine to me. I think he would like nothing better than to advance his theocratically based social conservative agenda, and leave it as his legacy.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Lord Jim wrote: Rand Paul is a zealot...
You spelled "idiot" wrong.
GAH!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

There's a difference?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

rubato

Post by rubato »

Big RR wrote:"...

do you think the Senate would still improve him for such a position after all those shenanigans (including firing Sessions as part of the plan)? My guess is that it would be doubtful, and since Trump has shown that loyalty means nothing to him Cruz would have to be a bigger ass than I think he is to accept such a deal.
The only thing that matters is whether Cruz believes he can be approved by the Senate and whether he believes he is such a master of communication that Trump will be his adoring Master to the end.

Cruz's belief in his own wonderfulness goes far beyond the boundaries which check the expansive egos of most Senators.

yrs,
rubato

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Crackpot wrote:There's a difference?
sure, it's what you are a zealot about.