The Reverend Jeff

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
RayThom

The Reverend Jeff

Post by RayThom »

Jeff Sessions Cites Biblical Example Of King Herod To Defend Family Separation Policy
https://babylonbee.com/news/jeff-sessio ... on-policy/

Hallelujah! Praise Jesus!
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Lord Jim

Re: The Reverend Jeff

Post by Lord Jim »

Hey Ray, what's the matter with you dude?

Why haven't you posted about how nobody here cares about the future of mankind because there haven't been any follow ups posted in this thread?
ImageImageImage

RayThom

The Reverend Jeff

Post by RayThom »

Lord Jim wrote:Hey Ray, what's the matter with you dude?
Why haven't you posted about how nobody here cares about the future of mankind because there haven't been any follow ups posted in this thread?
I suspect nearly everybody is so fed up with Sessions and the whole White House gang that there's very little left to add.

Almost all of what I post gets viewed by quite a few people and that is what works for me. I am not so important that I expect any approval by the amount of responses I get, I leave that as merely an option.

Fortunately, I know the future of mankind will survive -- with or without my screed.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

MG McAnick

Post by MG McAnick »

Don't worry. God has his eye on Jeff sessions. He's preparing a special chain link cage for him right below where president Drumpf's throne flushes.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:funee:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

MG McAnick

Post by MG McAnick »

I'm curious what translation that is from Scooter. Do you know?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

New International Version.

KJV says:
And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not vex him. But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.
NRSV:
When an alien resides with you in your land, you shall not oppress the alien. The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.

-- Author unknown

MG McAnick

Post by MG McAnick »

I'm not disagreeing with the text or verse, just curious what translation it is. It's obviously not KJV or NRSV as posted.

And where is Emma Lazarus when we need her?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The New International Version (NIV) is an English translation of the Bible first published in 1978 by Biblica (formerly the International Bible Society). The NIV was published to meet the need for a modern translation done by Bible scholars using the earliest, highest quality manuscripts available. Of equal importance was that the Bible be expressed in broadly understood modern English.

A team of 15 biblical scholars, representing a variety of denominations, worked from the oldest copies of reliable texts, variously written in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. Each section was subjected to multiple translations and revisions, and those assessed in detail to produce the best option. Everyday Bible readers were used to provide feedback on ease of understanding and comprehensibility. Finally, plans were made to continue revision of the Bible as new discoveries were made and as changes in the use of the English language occurred.

The NIV is published by Zondervan in the United States and Hodder & Stoughton in the UK. The NIV was updated in 1984 and 2011, and has become one of the most popular and best selling modern translations.

-- Author unknown

MG McAnick

Post by MG McAnick »

Ahh, there it is Leviticus 19:33-34.

I prefer the NIV and have had it installed on my phone for a couple-three years. Unfortunately the app doesn't have a search function.

Thanks for posting that Scooter. I think I can get some good mileage out of it.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Personally, I prefer the KJV, but for modern translations, the NIV is very well respected.