Fear Not, Trumpettes. If He Gets Sick or Disabled, There Will Still Be...

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Joe Guy

Fear Not, Trumpettes. If He Gets Sick or Disabled, There Will Still Be...

Post by Joe Guy »

....Vice President Pence to keep us entertained....

BoSoxGal

Re: Fear Not, Trumpettes. If He Gets Sick or Disabled, There Will Still Be...

Post by BoSoxGal »

Pence defies Mayo Clinic rule that ALL visitors, patients and staff wear masks.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Post by Darren »

I did that today. I went to Walmart. Halfway there I remembered the edict. "Must wear a mask" Hmmm. Nothing in the truck.

I noticed people coming out w/o masks as I parked. Screw it. In and out along with a few others w/o a mask. No one commented.

Toilet paper is still in short supply.
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Darren wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:41 am
.....Toilet paper is still in short supply.

That's because all those people you saw without masks have TP shoved up their noses

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I have to say that little sign in the picture in the OP looks photo shopped to me...
ImageImageImage

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Lord Jim wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:12 am
I have to say that little sign in the picture in the OP looks photo shopped to me...
Are you trying to make us believe that critical space flight hardware wouldn't have a warning sign taped to it?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

No, it’s real and it actually happened. But NASA said it was okay.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnew ... ncna780576
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

liberty

Post by liberty »

I remember that liberal posters here who said in effect that it is stupid to wearing a mask when I started making my masks. I was wearing a mask long before government advised it. I didn’t need the government to tell it was a good idea to wear a mask. All I needed was the ability to reason; something is better than nothing. When I go around people I wear a mask, gloves and a face shield I made.

Wearing a mask or Face covering should be mandatory for everyone that goes among people. Liberal philosophy made us a permissive society and now we are going to pay for it.

And you guys still say we could raise conscript army if we needed to; I say open your eyes and look and look around.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

From what I've heard from the experts, the mask does more to protect others from you, not the opposite. Where I live here in liberal California, I'm not allowed to go into any store without wearing a mask. Also, people can get a citation and/or be arrested for having a gathering of people who don't live in your home, even if you're in your own backyard. I don't think the police are enforcing it much though. But they do give warnings.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:03 am
No, it’s real and it actually happened. But NASA said it was okay.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnew ... ncna780576
What made me laugh about the story was this, from NASA:
NASA said the “Do Not Touch” signs in the vicinity at the Kennedy Space Flight Center “are there as a day-to-day reminder,” but the “Critical Space Flight Hardware” in question was “absolutely okay” to touch.
A 'day to day reminder'? What for? You put a 'Do Not Touch' sign on a critical piece of hardware as a 'day to day reminder' to employees that they must wash their hands after using the toilet?

From the Trumpian School of Logical Thought, Department of Applied Sarcasm.

Gob

Post by Gob »

If Pence gets the top job, we'll go back to laughing at you, rather than pitying you. Deal?

Mind you, he's got a hard act to follow...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I have to say I think that this "Pence wasn't wearing a mask" story is consuming waaaay too much of the media's time and attention...

Yes it was bad optics, and disrespectful of the Mayo Clinic, but think of how much better a world this would be if this was the most egregious blunder made by this Administration in respect to this crisis...

Tens of thousands of people who are now dead would still be alive...

Moreover, focusing on this relatively minor side event plays into Trump's hands...

Over the past couple of days I've seen more coverage of this Pence mask business than I've seen of the revelation that the seriousness of the crisis was repeatedly presented to Trump in his Daily Presidential Briefing book more than two months ago; warnings which he either willfully ignored, or was too lazy and incompetent to have noticed...

Far more important, serious, and worthy of focus by the independent press.
ImageImageImage

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I don't disagree Jim. But it does reinforce the ignorance and arrogance of this administration. Every president ever AFAIK has happily worn a hard hat in a construction zone.

Until now I've been inclined to give Pence a 'better than expected' grade for his alleged chairmanship of the administration's CoV response. Now that's not a very high bar. But the "I don't have CoV because I've been tested" thing is sheer ignorance. Assuming that the test is good, it means simply that he did not have it when he was last tested: nothing more and nothing less.

I revert to my prior opinion of Pence.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Hey look at it this way:
By doing what he did he may now be a disease vector straight into the White House.

If that were to end up being the case I might actually start believing that he is actually acting as “the hand of God”
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Darren wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:41 am
I did that today. I went to Walmart. Halfway there I remembered the edict. "Must wear a mask" Hmmm. Nothing in the truck.

I noticed people coming out w/o masks as I parked. Screw it. In and out along with a few others w/o a mask. No one commented.

Toilet paper is still in short supply.
Why do you need a mask when your head is jammed up your ass on a minute to minute basis?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Lord Jim wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:58 am
I have to say I think that this "Pence wasn't wearing a mask" story is consuming waaaay too much of the media's time and attention...

Yes it was bad optics, and disrespectful of the Mayo Clinic,
If you enlarge the picture you can see he is holding his mask in his left hand. Why he has it in his hand at that point rather than on his face, I don't know. But apparently reporting on the non-stop important events of The Story of a Lifetime is not interesting enough for a significant portion of the media.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Joe Guy wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:40 am
From what I've heard from the experts, the mask does more to protect others from you, not the opposite. Where I live here in liberal California, I'm not allowed to go into any store without wearing a mask. Also, people can get a citation and/or be arrested for having a gathering of people who don't live in your home, even if you're in your own backyard. I don't think the police are enforcing it much though. But they do give warnings.
Well, I have to give it to liberal California because the truth is that wearing a mask or a face covering is what needs to happen. And anyone who doesn’t do it needs some motivation to do the right thing.

No one on this forum loves liberty more than I do but during a national emergency, we do whatever has to be done to ensure freedom endures for all times. Nothing is more dangerous to liberty than anarchy.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Most masks function only to keep virus in, not to keep virus out - the virus is so tiny it can only be seen with an electron microscope, which means it can easily pass through the typical cloth mask. Even N95 masks are not 100% effective in protecting from aerosolized virus.

So, the key to reducing transmission dramatically is to keep the fucking virus close to the carrier’s face. Note the first in this series of images:

~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I have trouble believing the 70% for a unmasked carrier and a masked recipient. It would help if this poster had a figure for unmasked --> unmasked and stated some assumptions about the closeness and nature of the interaction.

The bottom two panels imply that the recipient's risk is reduced by a factor of around 70% (from 5% down to 1.5%) when s/he wears a mask. Using that number the unmasked recipient with an unmasked carrier would have a (5 / 1.5 ) x 70 = 233% chance of being infected. Obviously impossible.

The basic point is accurate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I have no doubt that the maths are incorrect as I am aware that there is no scientific consensus on the degree to which masks reduce transmission.

But yes, the very basic premise that the person carrying the virus is the one who most needs to be masked and since this virus has an established high rate of asymptomatic infection and thus very likely transmission, everyone needs to assume infection and to be masked. Just because you were tested on Monday doesn’t mean you aren’t infected and shedding virus on Wednesday. The fact that Pence isn’t grasping this basic concept gives me zero confidence in his contributions to the covid19 task force.
~ Carl Sagan