Now we know what caused to Jan 6th insurrection

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
MGMcAnick

Now we know what caused to Jan 6th insurrection

Post by MGMcAnick »

It was Foxitis
This article appeared in my local paper, taken from The WAPO
Original link.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... itol-riot/

By
Jaclyn Peiser
Reporter
May 7, 2021 at 4:49 a.m. CDT
In the six months leading up to the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, Anthony Antonio spent his days watching Fox News — a habit that actually made him ill, his attorney told a D.C. federal magistrate judge on Thursday.

His ailment? “Foxitis,” his attorney said, the HuffPost reported. “He became hooked with what I call … ‘Foxmania.’ ”

In the virtual hearing, which went awry when another alleged Capitol rioter interrupted with obscenities, Antonio’s attorney, Joseph Hurley, claimed that Fox News’s decision to regularly air then-President Donald Trump’s false claims of mass election fraud contributed to Antonio’s decision to participate in the insurrection.

Antonio “started believing what was being fed to him,” Hurley said, according to HuffPost.

Critics have targeted Fox for giving a platform for Trump and his allies to elevate baseless claims about the election, many of which were later echoed by Trump supporters who invaded the Capitol. Fox News also faces billion-dollar lawsuits from voting technology companies Dominion Voting Systems and Smartmatic, which allege the network knowingly aired false claims that the voting machines were rigged.

The Post obtained hours of video footage, some exclusively, and placed it within a digital 3-D model of the building. (TWP)
Fox News sued by Dominion in $1.6 billion defamation case that could set new guardrails for broadcasters

Fox News did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Washington Post on Hurley’s claims.

Antonio, 27, who turned himself in to police on April 20, is charged with unlawful and violent entry of the Capitol, police obstruction and destruction of government property, according to an arrest warrant.

During his hearing Thursday, Hurley told U.S. Magistrate Judge Robin M. Meriweather that Antonio had lost his job thanks to the pandemic and moved in with new roommates in Chicago. It was only then that he began watching Fox News religiously, according to Hurley, because his roommates frequently watched the network.

Antonio’s hearing grew increasingly chaotic Thursday when another alleged rioter, who was waiting for his own hearing, interjected repeatedly and spoke over Hurley. Landon Copeland, 33, who is charged with several federal offenses including assaulting officers and throwing a metal fence at law enforcement, went on several obscene and belligerent tirades.

When Hurley mentioned “Foxitis,” Copeland yelled, “I object.” The Utah native later said, “F--- all of you,” “I don’t like you people” and “You can’t come get me if I don’t want you to,” according to the Daily Beast. The judge ordered Copeland evaluated for mental competency.

Antonio’s case includes footage from Jan. 6 that showed him wearing a bulletproof vest with a patch representing the Three Percenters, an anti-government extremist group, prosecutors said. He is seen shouting at officers holding off the crowd: “You want war? We got war. 1776 all over again,” according to an affidavit.

Later, Antonio was captured on video being handed a riot shield, which was seemingly stolen from law enforcement. He eventually used the shield to push his way to the front of the crowd, investigators said.

Footage also showed Antonio squirting water at an officer who was dragged into the crowd and then throwing the bottle in his direction. Law enforcement body-camera footage showed Antonio getting close to an officer and telling him: “I’ll be honest, this isn’t against you personally. This is against our country,” according to the affidavit.

“We will not back down,” he added.

He eventually took a police officer’s gas mask and made his way into the Capitol by jumping through a broken window, according to court documents.

In an interview with the FBI in February, Antonio told investigators that he observed six men drag a police officer down the steps of the Capitol — apparently a reference to D.C. police officer Michael Fanone, who suffered a heart attack during the incident. He said that he saw the officer beg for help and could see “death in the man’s eyes,” according to the affidavit, adding that he should have helped.

missed my judgment, I didn’t help him when I should [have],” he told investigators.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

dales

Re: Now we know what caused to Jan 6th insurrection

Post by dales »

Now we know what caused to Jan 6th insurrection.

Huh?

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Foxitis!

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

We've always been told it's not a crime to be stupid.  Now we're learning that it's a sickness – "Foxitis" or "Foxmania"; whatever they decide they want to call it is unimportant.  And I'm inclined to agree.

Now, if the JAMA, the American Psychiatric Association, or some other reputable group/medical journal would officially determine and confirm that It's a form of mental illness or disorder, then maybe Fox News themselves can be held responsible for exploiting the mental disabled in much the same way persons can be criminally charged for financially exploiting the elderly or other adults with disabilities.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

I can offer therapy for "Foxitis", $240 ph, cash in advance only.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

dales

Post by dales »

Until I see it in the DSM-V, I won't buy it.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Speaking of the 'insurrection' ....

Does anyone else find it interesting that the GOP-controlled Congress spent TWO WHOLE FUCKING YEARS investigating what went on at the American Embassy in Benghazi in 2012 while Hillary was SecState, but aren't willing to investigate an attack on the US Senate and Capitol Building during the waning days of Trump and his Repugnicunt administration ??
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Stole that (minus the expletives)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

"Does anyone else find it interesting that the GOP-controlled Congress spent TWO WHOLE FUCKING YEARS investigating what went on at the American Embassy in Benghazi in 2012 while Hillary was SecState, but aren't willing to investigate an attack on the US Senate and Capitol Building during the waning days of Trump and his Repugnicunt administration ??"

What interests me in all this is that the mob on Jan 6 included people shouting about killing the Veep, Mike Pence, and carrying the equipment to lynch him. Yet the GOP senators still there in the Senate prefer to officially not know anything more about it. I can only conclude the GOP has become a personality cult just like that of the Dear Leader in North Korea.

snailgate

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Of course we all know it was Antifa who did the Jan 6 thing. You would think that Trump and his poodle McConnell would want an independent enquiry to confirm that.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 7:22 am
Does anyone else find it interesting that the GOP-controlled Congress spent TWO WHOLE FUCKING YEARS investigating what went on at the American Embassy in Benghazi in 2012 while Hillary was SecState, but aren't willing to investigate an attack on the US Senate and Capitol Building during the waning days of Trump and his Repugnicunt administration ??
Clearly because one is absolutely nothing like the other:

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

move on from Civil War.jpg
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God