Discourse 2

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
MajGenl.Meade

Discourse 2

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Abraham Lincoln 1837 - The Lyceum, Springfield

"In such an atmosphere, there might arise a man of boundless ambition eagerly taking advantage of disturbances and disorder to claim the mantle of savior. 'Towering genius disdains a beaten path'. It seeks regions hitherto unexplored. It sees no distinction in adding story to story, upon monuments of fame, erected to the memory of others. It denies that it is glory enough to serve under any chief. It scorns to tread in the footprints of any predecessor, however illustrious. It thirsts and burns for distinction; and if possible, will have it. . . ."
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Burning Petard

Re: Discourse 2

Post by Burning Petard »

Mr. Lincoln could well have been speaking of Jos. Smith Jr, leader of 'the Mormons" who were active in anti-slavery politics Smith later became a serious national candidate for US President Honest Abe's wife was present at one of the criminal trials where Smith was the defendant. At his death Smith became the first Presidential candidate to be assassinated. It is well to remember, that at that time there was no secret ballot and you had to be a white male to vote.

snailgate

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

It's not likely, snail, at least not directly. Smith did not leave Kirtland, OH until 1838, after Lincoln spoke. He only became an issue in Illinois in 1840 and after. Old Joe was against abolition until he ran for office in 1844. Bless! He changed his mind. While he became serious about winning the Presidency, he was not really a serious threat to succeed. He was shot a good 20 years too late for it to be truly beneficial*.

It's certainly applicable to Smith in the sense that Lincoln was speaking of any dictatorial maniac such as Smith or Trump).

*Although we wouldn't have had Ancestry.com, Drybar, and Sound of Freedom :?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 3:50 pm
It's not likely, snail, at least not directly. Smith did not leave Kirtland, OH until 1838, after Lincoln spoke. He only became an issue in Illinois in 1840 and after. Old Joe was against abolition until he ran for office in 1844. Bless! He changed his mind. While he became serious about winning the Presidency, he was not really a serious threat to succeed. He was shot a good 20 years too late for it to be truly beneficial*.

It's certainly applicable to Smith in the sense that Lincoln was speaking of any dictatorial maniac such as Smith or Trump).

*Although we wouldn't have had Ancestry.com, Drybar, and Sound of Freedom :?
I'm confused.   How does a hair salon chain have any relationship to Lincoln, Joseph Smith, Trump or any other politicians, living or dead?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:34 pm
I'm confused.   How does a hair salon chain have any relationship to Lincoln, Joseph Smith, Trump or any other politicians, living or dead?
-"BB"-
Ah. I see your confusion and raise you 1 video. Welcome to Provo

See, if Joseph Smith had been shot 20 years earlier than he was, there wouldn't be a Mormon Utah and hence . . .

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:01 pm
Bicycle Bill wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:34 pm
-"BB"-
Ah. I see your confusion and raise you 1 video. Welcome to Provo

See, if Joseph Smith had been shot 20 years earlier than he was, there wouldn't be a Mormon Utah and hence . . .
I’m confused how the video you linked relates to your post content, but I really enjoyed most of the jokes so I’m not complaining.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 11:30 pm
I’m confused how the video you linked relates to your post content, but I really enjoyed most of the jokes so I’m not complaining.
I was suggesting that if Smith had croaked a lot earlier, we wouldn't have Mormon created stuff such as the three items identified. Actually, I quite enjoy Drybar (by an outfit in Provo). And (sigh) I use Ancestry.com and its tentacles (such as Fold3). Could do without that Jim Caviezel movie about sex trafficking tho'.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I have always looked at it as a miracle that Smith did not get knocked down by malaria or something similar in that Mississippi swamp in Illinois.

snailgate.