To Shut Down Or Not To Shut Down...

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

Re: To Shut Down Or Not To Shut Down...

Post by Scooter »

ANN COULTER CALLS DONALD TRUMP 'BIGGEST WIMP EVER TO SERVE AS PRESIDENT' AS CONSERVATIVE MEDIA BLASTS ‘CAVE’ OVER WALL

Conservative media hammered President Donald Trump for his surprising announcement on Friday afternoon that he has agreed to reopen the federal government for three weeks while continuing to negotiate with Democrats to secure the southern border. The agreement came without funding for his border wall.

Conservative political commentator and author Ann Coulter roasted Trump on Twitter without explicitly naming him.

“Good news for George Herbert Walker Bush: As of today, he is no longer the biggest wimp ever to serve as President of the United States,” Coulter tweeted.

The homepage of conservative website The Daily Caller featured the headline "TRUMP CAVES: President Will Temporarily Reopen Government With Zero Funding For The Wall,” calling the move “a serious reversal.”

Breitbart News’s headline was simple: “GOVERNMENT OPEN” and “NO WALL.”

Drudge Report led with an all-caps “SHUTDOWN AGREEMENT REACHED, GOVT TO REOPEN TEMPORARILY,” below which was written in eye-grabbing red, “NO WALL FUNDS.”
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Conservative political commentator and author Ann Coulter roasted Trump on Twitter without explicitly naming him.

“Good news for George Herbert Walker Bush: As of today, he is no longer the biggest wimp ever to serve as President of the United States,” Coulter tweeted.
Trump can put "Biggest Wimp Ever to Serve as POTUS" on his Wikipedia bio, right under "Biggest Asshole Ever to Serve as POTUS".
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I laughed yesterday when I saw Trump saying that although he didn't have the 60 votes required to pass the bill that he supported he "won" because because it received more yes votes than no votes.

Yet more proof that it's more important for him to win (in his own head) than it is to accomplish anything helpful for the country.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

And the bill put forward by the Dems got more votes (52) including six Republicans. Which probably scared the crap out of him.

-- Author unknown

RayThom

To Shut Down Or Not To Shut Down...

Post by RayThom »

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

You realize it's only a matter of a day or so before someone posts a cartoon or a meme of Nancy Pelosi's office with a scrotum labeled "Trump's Balls" hanging on the wall — and a caption along the lines of "This Pussy Grabs Back".
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

My favourite line about the deal so far: "The only way Trump could have surrendered more would be to personally detail Nancy Pelosi's car for free".

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I've got to say that all the current gloating is making me a bit uncomfortable. Not only is it unseemly and unnecessary (nobody likes a sore winner)...but in the long run I think it'll do more harm than good, politically.

(But yeah, it *IS* quite some fun!)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I feel the same. Though I’ll give it the weekend. Anything past that i’ll Be called by them fuckwits. (Out loud after Monday)
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Everybody was complaining that Trump wouldn't compromise and people were unable to eat and they were starving and crawling to food banks for crumbs. Then he agreed to reopening the government and everybody is now making fun of him. Poor little Trumpy. Give him a break...

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Econoline wrote:I've got to say that all the current gloating is making me a bit uncomfortable. Not only is it unseemly and unnecessary (nobody likes a sore winner)...but in the long run I think it'll do more harm than good, politically.

(But yeah, it *IS* quite some fun!)
Well, if you ain't allowed to kick a guy when he's down, when else are you gonna do it?
-"BB"-

liberty

Post by liberty »

What do we get from this experience? What we get from this is confirmation that the Democrat party is the party of fascist. The Democrats were willing or even eager to sacrifice the lives of untold numbers of Americans in airline crashes just to make Donald Trump look bad. Don’t you think that is fascist?
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

liberty wrote:....The Democrats were willing or even eager to sacrifice the lives of untold numbers of Americans in airline crashes just to make Donald Trump look bad. Don’t you think that is fascist?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The Village Idiot wrote:What do we get from this experience? What we get from this is confirmation that the Democrat party is the party of fascist. The Democrats were willing or even eager to sacrifice the lives of untold numbers of Americans in airline crashes just to make Donald Trump look bad. Don’t you think that is fascist?
Who was putting lives at risk, those who before the shutdown even started put forward a close to identical version of the deal that was signed yesterday, or the buffoon who waited 35 days before agreeing to it? Tough call (not)
The sign that is encountered by every rational thought that attempts to form itself within the village idiot's brain.

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

just to make Donald Trump look bad.
Lord knows Il Boobce desperately needs a lot of help in a lot of areas, but when it comes to making him look bad, Donald Trump has that completely covered all by his lonesome...

Trump knew that since despite all his deflection and disinformation efforts the broad majority of the public continued (quite rightly) to blame him for the shutdown, and if there had been an air tragedy (a crash or a terrorist attack) while he was forcing stressed-out TSA agents and air traffic controllers to work without pay he would (again, quite rightly) get the blame for that as well. On top of all his other completely self-inflicted problems, that would have totally destroyed him politically.

He understood this, (and make no mistake; Trump's only consideration regarding this was how it would have affected him, not any concern for the potential loss of life. He has proven over and over again that he is utterly bereft of the slightest empathy or compassion for other human beings) so it no doubt factored prominently in his decision.

That having been said, I'm not going to criticize him for finally doing the right thing, no matter what his motives for doing it. Yes, he could have had the same "deal" 35 days ago without having caused all the pain he has caused, (in fact the same deal he actually agreed to until he pussied-out when Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter got all up in his grill...the only difference I see is that the agreement he signed onto originally was for six weeks rather than for three )

Or he could have had the exact same deal two weeks ago, when Lindsey Graham proposed a three week CR. (At that time he rejected it on the grounds that if he re-opened the government he would lose all of his "leverage"...yeah Donald, how'd that work out for you?)

He bought into Rush Limbaugh's assurances that if he just held out long enough eventually the public would come over to his side, until he finally saw that no matter how much mouth-frothing fear mongering and disinformation dissembling he engaged in, he could not move the poll numbers one inch. (From the very beginning, only about 1/3 of the public give-or-take blamed the Dems while a clear majority blamed him and that never improved for him, no matter what he did.)
Last edited by Lord Jim on Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

liberty wrote:What we get from this is confirmation that the Democrat party is the party of fascist.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God