Change You Can Believe In!

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Rick

Re: Change You Can Believe In!

Post by Rick »

I purchase gas from Murphy Oil (Arkansas based) currently the price ranges from 3.66 to 3.77 depending on where you are (i.e. Monticello 3.66, Pine Bluff 3.77) cash or charge.

However if you have a Wally World charge card it's .03 cheaper.

Mine's a Cabelas...
Sometimes it seems as though one has to cross the line just to figger out where it is

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Sue U wrote:Oldr: Yesterday (Sunday) I filled up at $3.75, credit price (Lukoil). If you get off the Turnpike at Exit 7 (Route 206 South) there's a Valero station rght there that's usually got a pretty good price; from there you can get right on to I-295 south and continue on to MD without the Turnpike tolls.
Thanks for the info Sue U.

And most gas staions around here have the same price for cash and credit.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Full service" meant that a service attendant would come out, pump the gas, clean the windows, check the oil, and add air to tires if necessary.... by the time I was driving as a teenager in the 70's the gas stations were charging a hefty per gallon premium for this and nobody under the age of 70 was opting for it....
Yeah, you got to pay a premium for a stoned HS dropout to scratch the paint with the gas cap, pump a tank of the wrong grade gas, dribble the last quart or so down the side of the quarter panel, smear the windows to the point of dangerously-bad visibility, open the hood and add a quart of overpriced oil you don't need (and maybe give a heater hose a swipe with his razor), and set all 4 tires to the wrong pressure. No thanks...I will pay more to NOT use full-serve gas.

New Jersey & Oregon think their residents are too stupid to run a gas pump, they do not allow self-serve.
Treat Gaza like Carthage.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

On the plus side, 54.1MPG from the last tank in Liz's Metro.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Lord Jim wrote:In the past few years most gas stations have eliminated the "full service" option entirely. (A few months ago the subject came up and I had the pleasure of explaining to Tait what "full service" was about...she had never seen it...)
Jarlaxle wrote:New Jersey & Oregon think their residents are too stupid to run a gas pump, they do not allow self-serve.
While I am pefectly capable of pumping my own gas, I am quite happy to never have to do it. My time is much better spent stting in the car making phone calls or just listening to the radio or CD player. If I wanted to pump gas, I could have gotten a job at a gas station -- or, I could travel to any of our neighboring states and pay a whole lot more per gallon for the "privilege."
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

While I am pefectly capable of pumping my own gas, I am quite happy to never have to do it. My time is much better spent stting in the car making phone calls or just listening to the radio or CD player. If I wanted to pump gas, I could have gotten a job at a gas station
I'd much rather pump my own gas than wait for the single attendant serving 8 or more pumps (the usual case in NJ) get around to me after he finishes his phone call. My time is better spent getting in and out of the gas station quickly, I wait enough in traffic on the road.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Never had anyone put gas in my car for me, always been self serve here.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

alice

Post by alice »

Lord Jim wrote:For a number of years in this country, after the first "gas shock" in '73, gas stations offered two tier pricing for "self service" and "full service"...

Prior to that there was no such thing as "self-service"...nobody ever pumped the gas at Wally's Service Station except Gomer and Goober..."full service" was the only service...and if they did a good job, they got a tip...I remember those days as a kid; my parents never got out of the car to pump the gas.

"Full service" meant that a service attendant would come out, pump the gas, clean the windows, check the oil, and add air to tires if necessary.... by the time I was driving as a teenager in the 70's the gas stations were charging a hefty per gallon premium for this and nobody under the age of 70 was opting for it....

In the past few years most gas stations have eliminated the "full service" option entirely. (A few months ago the subject came up and I had the pleasure of explaining to Tait what "full service" was about...she had never seen it...)

Well not see his like pass this way again.... :cry:
We used to have 'full service' all those years ago as well. When self-serve was being introduced, I used to drive the extra distance to go to the service station that still let you sit in your car and did everything for you. It finally reached a point when I had to start doing all that for myself, but even now, I would drive further and pay extra for the service, if there were any around that still did it.
Yeah, you got to pay a premium for a stoned HS dropout to scratch the paint with the gas cap, pump a tank of the wrong grade gas, dribble the last quart or so down the side of the quarter panel, smear the windows to the point of dangerously-bad visibility, open the hood and add a quart of overpriced oil you don't need (and maybe give a heater hose a swipe with his razor), and set all 4 tires to the wrong pressure. No thanks...I will pay more to NOT use full-serve gas.
:D :D That's the way I do it - it's why I would prefer having someone do it for me.
Life is like photography. You use the negative to develop.

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

There used to be a market in continuing the driveway service.

My aunt was a greater user of such facilities.

However people who haven't had such 'niceties' in their lives will not pay the extra it will cost to provide the service. I know I wouldn't.
Bah!

dales

Post by dales »

Twenty five cent per gallon gas and full service when I started to drive in the 1960's.

:ok

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Timster

Post by Timster »

I remember when me and me mates would all throw in a buck, fill the tank, and go on a road trip for the entire weekend!@

*sigh*
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer-

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Big RR wrote:
While I am pefectly capable of pumping my own gas, I am quite happy to never have to do it. My time is much better spent stting in the car making phone calls or just listening to the radio or CD player. If I wanted to pump gas, I could have gotten a job at a gas station
I'd much rather pump my own gas than wait for the single attendant serving 8 or more pumps (the usual case in NJ) get around to me after he finishes his phone call. My time is better spent getting in and out of the gas station quickly, I wait enough in traffic on the road.
You forgot getting the wrong grade of gas, and the gas dribbling down the quarter panel when the stoned HS dropout yanks the nozzle out of the tank filler.

Then there's other hazards: my friend made the mistake of stopping for gas in Jersey in his motorhome a few years ago, and was about ten seconds away from a tank of diesel fuel!