The United Police States of America

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
BoSoxGal

Re: The United Police States of America

Post by BoSoxGal »

Gob wrote:
BoSoxGal wrote:And now protests across the country and the one in Dallas ends up broken up by a sniper shooting at cops.

What a fuckingworld. country
FTFY.
You're right, I apologize for the unfair extrapolation.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Three LEOs dead in Dallas, and another seven injured.  Ambushed by at least two gunmen occupying an elevated position, possibly a multi-story parking garage.  The shooters are still at large, although a photo of one "person of interest" is being circulated.

Anyone with information is asked to contact authorities.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/three-officer-fatally-shot-during-000000452.html
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

He's been cleared by video showing him at ground level when the snipers started shooting.

11 cops shot, 4 dead. :cry:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I hope whoever was pulling the trigger realizes that all this is going to do is make a LEO — any LEO, from uniformed SWAT team members all the way down to meter maids — even more likely to fear for their life (and more apt to use force) anytime someone makes an untoward movement.  Mark my words, it's going to get much worse before it gets better.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Reports put LEO dead now at five (as of 2:00 AM CDT).  Police now estimate that there may have been as many as six shooters in what seems to have been a carefully calculated ambush.  Three people (two males and a female) are in custody and are being questioned with regard to their possible involvement in the attack, and a fourth person is currently in a parking garage and engaged in a stand-off with police; according to Dallas police chief David Brown this person claims that "the end is coming" and "he’s going to hurt and kill more of us — and that there are bombs all over the place in this garage and in downtown".
-"BB"-

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the shooter(s) will turn out to be from the Tim McVeigh school of thought, wanting to start a race war. Whatever the source, we have five more people who did not go home to their families because of the asinine gun laws in this country.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Scooter wrote:(a couple of cartoons)
And the troll is here, right on time.
-"BB"-

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

If that's what you believe I am doing, then what does it say about you that you can't help yourself from jumping to take the bait, every single time?

And if you're going to reflexively label every post I make as trolling without even taking ten seconds to consider the message, then you're a lot less intelligent than I ever gave you credit for.

And that's a bar that was set pretty low to begin with.

Now, do you want to continue sniping at me for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with the serious discussion that is going on in this thread, or do you want to pretend to be an adult and confine it to where it belongs?

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Suspect who was holed-up and involved in stand-off with police is confirmed dead.  Police sent in a robot with an explosive device when all other options to end the stand-off peaceably failed.  Subject has been identified as Micah Zavier Johnson, age 25, a former member of the US Army Reserve (images are from his Facebook account).

-"BB"-

RayThom

The United Police States Of America

Post by RayThom »

... Micah Zavier Johnson, age 25, a former member of the US Army Reserve...
Skillfully trained in the Art of War -- to protect and serve.

So to end mass shootings all we have to do is ban assault-style rifles, and those in the military trained to use them, and then everyone with a grudge against society will behave themselves. My guess is the answer lies deeper than that.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I let this thread go dormant because I found it too depressing - but it seemed like the right time to resurrect it.
(CNN)When police stopped a Texas man for an alleged traffic violation, the confrontation turned tense, videos of the incident show.

Midland police officers stopped Tye Anders, 21, on May 16 for running a stop sign, the department said in a statement.

What happened next left a family shaken, a young man on the ground and his grandma attempting to intervene in the tense confrontation that followed.

Anders, who is black, had been driving in a way that aroused suspicion, "making several extreme attempts to elude and avoid me," a Midland police officer wrote in an affidavit obtained by CNN affiliate KWES and other media. CNN has put in a public records request for the affidavit.

The Midland Police Department released footage on Facebook from an officer's dash cam video and a 36-minute bodycam video on May 22, six days after the incident. The video does not show the alleged traffic violation; police say it "occurred prior to activation of the video system."
In the dashcam video, officers say Anders drove for two blocks after the cruiser's lights went on. Anders then can be seen pulling into his grandmother's driveway.

Anders was charged with evading in a motor vehicle while police were attempting to detain him, according to a statement from Midland police.

Justin Moore, an attorney for Anders, says his client was racially profiled, and that there was no justification for his arrest.

Anders' grandmother tried to defuse the situation
Midland police released four versions of the bodycam video on the department's Facebook page: Full-length front camera footage, full-length body camera footage, full-length back seat footage and a shortened video with captions.

After Anders pulls into the driveway of his grandmother's home, police can be seen and heard on bodycam video asking Anders to get out of his car, but he initially refused. He stayed in the car for over five minutes before exiting, according to timestamped police bodycam video.

When Anders did leave the vehicle, an officer can be seen on video drawing their gun and pointing it at him, according to police bodycam footage.

"I do not fault the officers for drawing their weapons," James A. Gagliano, CNN law enforcement analyst, said. "When he (Anders) wasn't compliant they (police) had to be suspicious that there was something more there because he was running away from a ticket for running a stop sign. That's not normal behavior."

Police said they asked Anders to walk toward them to be detained, but Anders refused and can be heard in body cam video asking, "Why'd you stop me?" with his hands in the air.

Moments later, Anders can be seen on bodycam video dropping to his knees to lie down on the front lawn.
"We're not going to shoot you," an officer can be heard saying to Anders.

The incident happened over a week before the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis after being held down by police while being arrested. Video shows Floyd pleading that he is in pain and can't breathe. Then, his eyes shut and the pleas stop. He was pronounced dead shortly after.
Gagliano called Anders' arrest the "exact antithesis" of the Floyd case.

"This was a case of police officers not just doing their job," he said of Anders' arrest, "but going above and beyond to be patient and to let this play out when this young man put his hands down by his waist and refused to comply."

In the police video and in one from a bystander provided to CNN by Anders' attorney, Anders shouts, over and over, "I'm scared, I'm scared, I'm scared," and, "Put your guns down" while he's lying down on his stomach in the front lawn parallel to the driveway he stopped his car in.

As the confrontation between Anders and police continues, bystanders can be heard gathering around and screaming at both Anders and police.

"Hey dude, just stand up, stand up man," an officer can be heard saying to Anders. "All we need you to do is stand up."
At one point, Anders' 90-year-old grandmother appears in police bodycam video in an attempt to defuse the situation. Officers approached the elderly woman, and moments later she appeared to fall across her grandson.
It's not clear from the footage how the woman fell. Midland police say she "appeared to lose balance and fall."
Moore claims she was "forced to the ground by overly aggressive Midland PD officers."

At least five police cruisers and five other officers can be seen in police bodycam video.

In the affidavit, the officer writes about calling for backup when Anders refused to get out of his car. The officer called for "additional units to assist" when "Anders family members now began driving up to the scene and exiting the residence."

Claims of racial profiling

In the bystander video, a woman nearby is also screaming at the officers: "He's scared. Y'all have guns on him." And later, "We're black. They shoot black people."
Moore claims the police stopped Anders with no justification.

"Racial profiling and pretext stops have been at pandemic levels in this country for generations," Moore said in a statement. "This incident falls within this age-old trend of following black men and arresting them for fabricated reasons."

After helping the elderly woman get up, the officers were able to arrest Anders. After he was handcuffed and in the back of a squad car, Moore claims Anders was "struck multiple times in the face."

In police bodycam video, officers can be seen and heard telling Anders to place his legs in the car while explaining why he was pulled over. However, Anders kicks his legs out the door while screaming several times, "I did not run no stop sign."

Police say a sergeant grabbed Anders around the head to "lay him flat and control his movements" and used "physical strength to pull his (Anders') body back in the vehicle. No strikes were thrown."
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

1) Why is it that, whenever an African-American is detained for any reason, whether it's running a stop sign or rioting, setting a police station on fire, and looting a department store under the guise of "protesting police behavior", the first thing out of their mouths is "I dindu nuffin!" ?

2) Why is that people like BSG are always willing to believe that they in fact "dindu nuffin", despite visual evidence to the contrary?
-"BB"-

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Go fuck yourself you racist piece of shit.
~ Carl Sagan

dales

Post by dales »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:06 pm
Clever.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

dales wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:17 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
Clever.
It was geared to the level of intellect displayed by the preceding poster, a person who refers to black people as porch monkeys. I'm done being kindly toward racists.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 7:39 am
... the first thing out of their mouths is "I dindu nuffin!"?
BB, my guess is the quality of a better education was not readily available in that person's impoverished neighborhood during their developmental years, like it probably was in your predominately white, middle class, neighborhood.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Pretty much the response I expected from you, BSG.  Thank you for being so dependable — or is it predictable?

But consider this:  this cycle of violence, rioting, and looting by this segment of the citizenry is why nothing will change in most people's minds.  Los Angeles CA, Baltimore MD, Milwaukee WI, Ferguson MO, Minneapolis MN, it makes no difference where or what triggers things.  The rioters, vandals, and looters continue to prove, over and over, that they are the threat that they are perceived to be.

You can choose to incorrectly call it racism if it makes you feel better about yourself.  I prefer to look upon it as a learned response based upon data acquired after repetitive testing and observations.
-"BB"-

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

It won't fail if it follows the example of every successful violent revolution that preceded it - keeping the pressure on until those in power either exhaust their resources or decide that continuing their repression is no longer worth it. Don't preach about the futility of violence to effect change when violence has been the way that your country has been built from its colonial foundations right up to the present.

What you are saying is that it was ok for white people to use violence to achieve their aims, but it's not ok for blacks. Gee, I wonder what to call that...oh yeah, it's racism.

-- Author unknown

RayThom

Post by RayThom »