The United Police States of America

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
dales

Re: The United Police States of America

Post by dales »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:24 am
There are no good cops. Yes, it's that simple.
Simple minded statements from the simple-minded.

To say that there is no good in a particular group only expresses the person's lack of understanding and lack of critical thinking skills.

Kind of like saying all Democrats or Republicans are bad.

Silly.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

You're supposed to LICK the jackboot, not deep-throat it.

dales

Post by dales »

What a silly little man.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:24 am
There are no good cops. Yes, it's that simple.
There are bad cops, and there are former cops. Every once in a while, for just a little while, a good cop slips through the fine crack between those two options. When that happens, this is what happens to the good cop:

It's hard to see anything good about this, but....well, Officer Horne did make it through 19 years on the force before being fired, just a year short of qualifying for a pension. Plus—and this is a massively big PLUS—despite having her life ruined, she's able to accept that as the price of having a clear conscience and being able to live with herself. I hope this late too-late re-investigation gives her back her pension.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I read that story last night and was so infuriated I couldn’t even collect myself to post it here. Thanks for doing so, Econo.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

She got off easier than Donna Jane Watts.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:38 pm
Why was he driving at 120 miles an hour was he responding to a call? And did she need to pull her gun on him?
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Am I missing something? Sounds like Watts was harassed by Miami police - but did she lose her job and pension with 5 kids to support?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I found this article, which while it doesn’t seem to establish that Watts suffered the equivalent of loss of job and pension, sure does establish that most cops are fucking scum. I’d encourage anyone on the fence on that point to read it in full.

A plague of ‘professional courtesy’

By the way, Radley Balko - who wrote The Rise of the Warrior Cop - does excellent reporting on policing issues for WashPo.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:38 am
Jarlaxle wrote:
Am I missing something? Sounds like Watts was harassed by Miami police - but did she lose her job and pension with 5 kids to support?
She was the target of an organized campaign of terror...she still opens her mailbox with a broom because she was worried about a bomb, hasn't slept a full night in years, and had to flee her home.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

DCC09B16-EB90-48EE-8DA7-98314448B374.jpeg
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:22 pm
DCC09B16-EB90-48EE-8DA7-98314448B374.jpeg
Well, I see your mind is like concrete.  Mixed up and fully set.

Didn't you see the same video of the Blake incident that I did?  He had been engaged with law enforcement; and then, instead of obeying their (lawful) commands to stay still or to stop (red flag #1) ... and even after being Tased (red flag #2) (although the video does not show that, enough people are confirming the fact that I have no reason to doubt it) ... he walks away from the officers (red flag #3), who have their guns already drawn (red flag #4), proceeds to go entirely around the vehicle to the driver's door while a cop tries to restrain him by pulling on his shirt (red flag #5), and opens it and reaches in (red flags #6 thru 10, plus alarm bells, warning sirens, and the robot from "Lost in Space" repeating "Danger, Will Robinson!").  Now he may have just been going for his ID, he may have been going to talk to his kids, he might even have just been going to grab a pack of cigarettes ... or he might have been reaching under the seat for a fully-loaded 9-mm semiautomatic pistol with a round already in the chamber and ready to fire.  I don't know; you don't know; and most definitely the cop didn't know — but he does know to expect shit like that.

So put yourself in the cop's shoes — YOU want to go home safe and in one piece also.  Are you going to wait until the guy turns around and fires at you before returning fire?  That makes about as much sense as if I were to say that you can't condemn a pit bull — or any other dog, for that matter — until it has bitten/maimed/killed at least one person.  But you, on the other hand, feel you are perfectly justified in consigning all pit bulls to the ninth level of Dante's Inferno just because they are 'dangerous animals' and you fear for your life around them.

How about the cop?  Doesn't he get to act to protect himself before taking the first round in his chest?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I'd wait to see if he reached for a gun and then shoot it out of his hand....

dales

Post by dales »

Should've called Kenosha social service workers.

yrs,
rubato

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Joe Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:36 pm
I'd wait to see if he reached for a gun and then shoot it out of his hand....
So you think that every cop is Annie Oakley, Dead-Eye Dick, and Wild Bill Hickock combined?  You've been watching too many re-runs of "Gunsmoke", "The Lone Ranger", and "Roy Rogers" over there.
-"BB"-

Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

No, I watched Tombstone again the other night. Doc Holliday's my hero.

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Joe Guy wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:04 am
No, I watched Tombstone again the other night. Doc Holliday's my hero.
A doctor — well, dentist, actually — who drank, gambled, developed a reputation as a gunfighter, was frequently seen in the presence of women of 'negotiable virtue', was addicted to opium (laudanum), and died of tuberculosis at age 36.
Other than the 'dying young' part, sorta sounds like you all right. :D
-"BB"-

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Nobody's perfect...