The United Police States of America

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Crackpot

Re: The United Police States of America

Post by Crackpot »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:And if my aunt had testicles he'd be my uncle
He? That just raises more questions.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

RayThom

MGM. THAT'S CLEVER

Post by RayThom »

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The proscutor who charged this murderous bastard pig with murder determined (logically) that the vehicle 'took off' due to the intertia of the poor dead driver's weight on the gas peddle after he'd been summarily executed for not displaying his front license plate and a) forgetting to carry his license or b) driving suspended.

Now the prosecutor needs to charge the lying piece of crap pigs who were colluding with the murdeous pig to cover up the crime by fabricating an assault on the officer which never took place.

As for the cops in this country? Fire every single one of them. Start over. Hire back the few who are reliable and leave the 3/4 who are scumbag bullies to collect unemployment.

Pigs! :evil:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

rubato

Post by rubato »

bigskygal wrote:"...

Now the prosecutor needs to charge the lying piece of crap pigs who were colluding with the murdeous pig to cover up the crime by fabricating an assault on the officer which never took place.
..."

The other officer present lied and supported the murderers lies. In every case where there was no video evidence they would have gotten away with it.

He should be fired too.

Yrs,
Rubato

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

How about applying the "broken windows" theory of combating crime...to police misconduct???

A modest proposal: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hector-vi ... 08034.html
Police departments have adopted a zero tolerance, broken windows approach to combating crime. The theory is that preventing small or low-level crimes such as vandalism creates an atmosphere of order and vigilance that discourages more serious crimes. The theory and its benefits certainly have been questioned.

But what's clear is the broken windows approach has never been brought to policing itself. As video proliferates, often disputing officers' accounts of incidents, there is a growing sense of a police culture that is out of control and that has escaped meaningful scrutiny. If preventing low-level offenses sends the message that more serious offenses will not be tolerated, what's the message when officers are virtually never charged let alone convicted for their misconduct?
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Re: MGM. THAT'S CLEVER

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

RayThom wrote:I wonder where you saw that?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10933&p=139327&hili ... es#p139327
Actually it's so old we both saw it somewhere else. Often it goes "If my uncle had tits he'd be my aunt". I prefer my version but using "he" instead of "she" to make it more modernly gender-confused.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Another variation I heard growing up: "And if my aunt had wheels she'd be a trolley car."
GAH!

rubato

Post by rubato »

It's an old expression.

The subjunctive is just endless fun.

Yrs,
Rubato

wesw

Post by wesw »

wish in one hand and shit in the other. see which one gets full first.....

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

:lol: :funee:
ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I suspect I will be chastised for posting this story in this thread...

Since even though it's certainly relevant to the topic, it dares to deviate from the approved narrative:

Pistol-whipped detective says he didn't shoot attacker because of headlines

CNN)A Birmingham, Alabama, police detective who was pistol-whipped unconscious said Friday that he hesitated to use force because he didn't want to be accused of needlessly killing an unarmed man.

"A lot of officers are being too cautious because of what's going on in the media," said the officer, who asked to remain anonymous for the safety of his family. "I hesitated because I didn't want to be in the media like I am right now."

Details of last week's incident in the Birmingham enclave of Roebuck remain sketchy -- such as how did the suspect get the officer's weapon -- but the six-year police veteran said he didn't shoot the man who attacked him during a traffic stop because of the outcry surrounding a spate of police shootings nationally.

"We don't want to be in the media," he said. "It's hard times right now for us."

Heath Boackle, a sergeant with the Birmingham Police Department and president of the city's Fraternal Order of Police, said Thursday that cops are "walking on eggshells because of how they're scrutinized in the media."

"We should be thanking the good Lord because he could be dead right now.," Boackle said of the detective who was beaten.

Police Chief A.C. Roper sees the episode -- as well as the reaction, including celebratory and vitriolic comments posted online alongside images of the wounded officer -- as symptomatic of a larger problem, in which some don't respect law enforcement.

"The nobility and integrity of policing has been challenged," Roper said. "As a profession, we have allowed popular culture to draft a narrative which is contrary to the amazing work that so many officers are doing everyday across this nation."

The incident occurred last Friday when the detective was on his way to interview a robbery witness and saw a car that was carrying at least two people traveling erratically on the interstate, according to police.

"He calls for backup and tells the man to stay in the car, but he didn't," Boackle told CNN in a phone interview. "The last thing the officer remembers is getting sucker-punched in a parking lot. The next thing, he's waking up in a hospital bed with staples in his head."

According to Boackle, the detective spoke to Janard Cunningham, who was sitting the car. The detective decided to call for backup so that he could continue his robbery investigation while another officer handled the traffic stop.

While he was calling for backup, Cunningham allegedly exited the car and became aggressive, approaching the detective and repeatedly questioned why he'd been pulled over, the union chief said. The detective considered using force but thought better of it and continued his call when Cunningham hit him, Boackle said.

Cunningham is accused of then "pistol whipping" the officer with his own service weapon, Boackle said.

The officer suffered multiple lacerations to his head and face but is expected to recover from his injuries, according to Boackle. The University of Alabama-Birmingham treated and released him the same day. He's recovering at home and has not yet returned to duty, Boackle said.

Adding insult to injury: several bystanders, instead of helping, took pictures of the bloodied officer as he was facedown on the concrete and posted the images on social media, where the officer was mocked.

Many people rose to the officer's defense, but the detective's colleagues were outraged by a collection of posts that seemed to revel in the beating.

"Pistol whipped his ass to sleep," one user wrote, employing the hashtag #FckDaPolice. Another mockingly offered the officer milk and cookies for his "nap time."

Roper, the Birmingham police chief, called the fact bystanders would take pictures of an officer being beaten rather than help him, then proceed to post them, "absolutely inhumane." The online commenters only made it worse.

"It really speaks to the lack of their morality and humanity," the chief said. "People commented on the pictures in a celebratory fashion ... disregarding that this public servant has a family and is committed to serve in some of our most challenging communities."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/13/us/alabam ... l-whipped/
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

It's too bad that the actions of murderous cops have an effect on how the citizenry feel about cops in general. Maybe the thin blue line needs to quit lying for and covering up for the murderers among them; that would probably be a good first step.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

wesw

Post by wesw »

you must ve read that in the paper jim. fox news is the only place that I ve seen it reported on tv.....

RayThom

GREAT SPIN

Post by RayThom »

It appears this cop forgot his many weeks of training and allowed the perp to get the drop on him. Trying to save face he uses today's problems with the cop culture for his inability to follow proper procedures. Let's hope it works in his favor and saves his job.

Police work is risky business. Many of them quit way before retirement because of that very risk. It's not for everyone. A paradigm shift in police training will produce better results.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

It's been all over the news, wesw. Online, TV (saw it while traveling), in the papers too.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

wesw wrote:you must ve read that in the paper jim. fox news is the only place that I ve seen it reported on tv.....
If you looked at my link wes, you would know that the article I posted comes from CNN...

And as BSG said, this story is being widely reported...

As it should be...

(Though I disagree with her interpretation of its meaning...)
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

You don't agree that cops committing murder has turned much of the citizenry to distrust and disrespect of police?

You don't agree that good cops should not be covering for bad cops?

:shrug
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

bigskygal wrote:You don't agree that cops committing murder has turned much of the citizenry to distrust and disrespect of police?

You don't agree that good cops should not be covering for bad cops?

:shrug
I think there's so much simplistic hyperbole loaded in those questions, that they can't possibly serve as the basis for a civil, rational debate about law enforcement....

Do I think that "good cops should not be covering for bad cops"?

Well, there are a lot of double negatives involved in that, 8-) but let me be quite clear where I stand on this:

Good cops should not cover up for bad cops. And if they do, they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law...

In fact a "dirty" cop who has violated the trust society has granted him (or her) should be treated more harshly than an average citizen in similar circumstances, (I've made this point before)...

On the other hand, there should not be a presumption of wrong doing, "guilty till proven innocent" as you seem to suggest...

The vast majority of police officers, the vast majority of the time, comport themselves with exceptional professionalism, day in and day out...

This may not make it on to YouTube, but it's the fact...

Are you willing to admit that?
ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

And regardless of highly publicized cases of inappropriate behavior by police officers, (and some incidents that were presented as inappropriate but turned out not to be, like the Michael Brown case) the behavior of the on lookers around this stricken officer was despicable and inexcusable , as were the social media comments celebrating the savagery visited upon him.

Don't you agree?
ImageImageImage