The United Police States of America

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
BoSoxGal

Re: The United Police States of America

Post by BoSoxGal »

Is there a jurisdiction in the USA where trespassing isn’t an arrestable, removeable criminal offense?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I see that in the USA it is a criminal trespass. Even if you are allowed to enter a place that’s open to the public (such as a store or park), you can still be convicted of criminal trespass if you stay after the space closes or fail to leave after you’re ordered to do so.

I guess the wannabes were in a public place and did not fail to leave after ordered to do so.

As to guessing why a cop would toss a bottle of water to some guys in military get-up and with guns - because they were thirsty?

As to guessing why the cops didn't arrest or forcibly remove them - (a) (guess) because they were not breaking a law which seems to be some kind of requirement?; (b) because there was no need for force since they removed themselves;(c) because they were told to move south - away from trouble?(guess); (d) because the cops had more important trouble to deal with than a group of cop-friendly douche-bags; (e) because it's all a deep-state plot organized by Obama - no, wait, that's the other guys :D
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

liberty

Post by liberty »

Why didn’t you have a problem with it when the Black Panthers were just a few years ago marching with their shotguns.
And this situation was not like a school shooting; the boy shot no one who was not trying to attack him. Just because most school shooters are white boys doesn’t mean that all white boys are school shooters. Don’t be a racist.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

We're going thru a UPSA period here in SA. Six days ago:
Nathaniel Julius, a 16-year-old boy with Down syndrome, was shot close to his home in a Johannesburg township Wednesday evening on his return from a nearby store, his mother and community members told South African media.

One of Nathaniel’s friends, who said she was with him at the time of the shooting, told broadcaster ENCA that officers in a police van shouted at the boy. Nathaniel, appearing excited, then shouted back and approached the van, the friend said.
Nat was armed with a packet of his favorite biscuits and was seen to be dancing to the flashing blue lights. It appears that when challenged by a cop, he was unable to respond clearly as to his intentions. What with being a Down syndrome youngster 'n all.

After the cops drove off with the boy's body, another returned and cleaned up the spent cartridge cases and other evidence and then drove away. I believe that two cops have been charged with the shooting and one with obstruction of justice. There have been riots, rubber bullets and all that - everyone involved is non-Caucasian so I suppose that's a small ray of positivity; racism is not involved.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

liberty wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:47 pm
[...] this situation was not like a school shooting; the boy shot no one who was not trying to attack him.
In any situation in which there should be NO ONE except the police carrying weapons (especially an assault-rifle-style weapon) ANYONE walking around with one (especially a teenager, who already shouldn't be in possession of a firearm) can and should be suspected of criminal intent and disarmed ASAP. If one of the BLM protesters was carrying and somebody else tried to disarm him before he caused trouble, would you think the armed protester would be justified in shooting and killing that person?
liberty wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:47 pm
Just because most school shooters are white boys doesn’t mean that all white boys are school shooters. Don’t be a racist.
I'm not; you're the one who just brought up the subject of race for no reason, and you're the one who just assumed that "some dude [...] armed with an AR-15" was white. The tweet I posted a screenshot of said
Imagine a school shooting. Some dude shows up to a school armed with an AR-15 & roams the halls. Someone tries to throw a bag at him to stop him, the dude kills him. Students run out to stop the killer. He kills another
The right wants us to believe this killer is now the victim.
See?...no mention of race at all.

P.S. :loon Would it make any difference if (1) all the people in this hypothetical situation were white? (2) All were black? (3) The shooter was black and the students he shot were white? (4) The shooter was white and the students he shot were black? (5) The shooter was Inuit and the students he shot were Cherokee? (6) ?????
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:23 pm
ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:06 pm
And the 'child-rapist' Jarlaxle talks about apparently, when he was 18, had sex with a 15-year-olld girl. The circumstances are obscure and he spent time in jail and was a registered sex offender.
So, they were two teenagers getting frisky where the age of consent is 16 or 17 or 18 and if their parents all got along and approved of the pairing it would never even come to attention of law enforcement - but because somebody’s father got pissed off a teenager starts life as a sex offender with a record of serving some time?

That’s one scenario, anyway - one that happens all over the country far too often.

If on the other hand it was not a Romeo case, and she didn’t consent due to state of mind (intoxication) or actual forcible rape, then ok he is a rapist. But with that age disparity, “child rapist” is a real stretch.
No, it's not...multiple victims, oldest was 11.

https://scontent-bos3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5F7836A8

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Prosecutor resigns from Trump law enforcement commission, calls it 'intent on providing cover for a predetermined agenda'
By Christina Carrega

(CNN)One of the four leading prosecutors chosen to be on President Donald Trump's law enforcement commission resigned last week after expressing "serious" concerns that the intention of the commission was not to bridge the gap between communities of color and law enforcement.

Ramsey County, Minnesota, District Attorney John Choi submitted his letter of resignation on September 3 to Attorney General William Barr after his concerns about the work of the Presidential Commission on Law Enforcement and the Administration of Justice had not been not addressed since May.

Choi, a Democrat, said in his resignation letter that "it is now patently obvious ... that this process had no intention of engaging in a thoughtful and open analysis, but was intent on providing cover for a predetermined agenda that ignores the lessons of the past, furthering failed tough-on-crime policies that led to our current mass incarceration crisis and fueling divisions between our communities and our police officers."

The Justice Department did not return CNN's request for comment. HuffPost was first to report on Choi's resignation.

On May 29, Choi sent a letter -- along with Wyandotte County District Attorney Mark Dupree -- to the commission after hearing concerns raised by the NAACP and a host of other organizations about the "Commission's process, inclusiveness and transparency, and whether the Commission's processes conform to applicable federal law."
The letter was sent four days after George Floyd's death in Minneapolis at the hands of police.

Choi and Dupree agreed with the community leaders that not having the community involved with the commission's process was "deepening divides and fractured bonds of trust between law enforcement and communities of color."

The prosecutors made three recommendations to the commission, including, making the "working groups" of the 15 other members, specifically the "Respect for Law Enforcement" group, available to all members.
"Most concerning, as prosecutors, is language in the President's Executive Order as well as the charge of the Respect for Law Enforcement working group suggesting there may be language in the Commission's final report that would seek to erode local prosecutorial discretion," the district attorneys wrote in the two-page letter.

Four months later, their recommendations have not been addressed, and Choi quit.
"To date, I have yet to receive any response to the issues I raised and have grown increasingly concerned that the final report will only widen the divisions in our nation," Choi wrote.

Choi also took issue with the commission inviting US Attorney William McSwain to testify after he said in July that "so-called progressive prosecutors have ... little regard for the public safety," and as a result, "[c]riminals bank on the fact that certain progressive policies ... give them ... breathing room to ply their trade."

"While we did have some respectful and substantive conversations in my work group, I have little confidence that the concerns and perspectives of those who are peacefully taking to the streets right now, who have been advocating that over-policing disproportionately impacts people of color and those in under-resourced communities, are included in the Commission's recommendations to you," Choi wrote.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

119238599_1674047769438928_4605459566828809432_n.jpg
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

We've unplugged it. We're hoping to plug it back in on November 3rd.

liberty

Post by liberty »

It could be your country also Gob. All you need is the right kind of people. But you all do have an advantage we don’t have; you are still for the most part one nation. Something we don’t have we are not a nation but just a collection interested groups.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Gob wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:04 am
119238599_1674047769438928_4605459566828809432_n.jpg
Presently there is a percussive maintenance effort afoot.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

In this thread there have been many declarations that the police and prosecutors should be concerned only with the facts and the law. (Porsecutors should not dismiss misconduct charges against a particular LEO just because it might mean reexamination of many convictions where that LEO was key.)

" have grown increasingly concerned that the final report will only widen the divisions in our nation," Choi wrote."

That looks to me like a similar political preference.

As for the cliche about the rotten apples in the barrel, I am convinced the problem is not the apples, but that the barrel is rotten.

snailgate.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

SG:
As for the cliche about the rotten apples in the barrel, I am convinced the problem is not the apples, but that the barrel is rotten.
I'm not there yet; but I do think that if you are next to a rotten apple you should scream and shout until it is removed.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Right, and because there is no screaming or shouting - in the vast majority of cases nobody’s even whispering - the whole barrel is rotten.
~ Carl Sagan

liberty

Post by liberty »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:17 pm
Right, and because there is no screaming or shouting - in the vast majority of cases nobody’s even whispering - the whole barrel is rotten.
If that is the case what is your solution; everyone carries their gun? In a world without police, what do you about thugs? Some people enjoy raping, murdering, and abusing people. Perhaps you have heard of Dennis Paris, he was a man who in the 1990s charmed, adducted, and enslaved girls and women and used them as prostitutes. In a world without police, a man like that would not have to bother with Charming girls; he could kidnap them right of the school ground. Do want a world without police?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

How about a world where the police don't imitate the bloodthirsty thugs they are supposed to be protecting us from, and where their peers refuse to stand for it when they do? Is that too much to ask?
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

liberty wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:36 am
BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:17 pm
If that is the case what is your solution; everyone carries their gun? In a world without police, what do you about thugs? Some people enjoy raping, murdering, and abusing people. Perhaps you have heard of Dennis Paris, he was a man who in the 1990s charmed, adducted, and enslaved girls and women and used them as prostitutes. In a world without police, a man like that would not have to bother with Charming girls; he could kidnap them right of the school ground. Do want a world without police?
Nobody actually wants that. (Well, OK, a few kookburgers might, but they don't count.)

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

At a minimum I want a federal protocol universally followed that requires thorough psychological pre-screening and at bare minimum 2 years full time education AND skills training on top of it. In depth training in criminology including extensive deescalation tools via exposure to the wide range of human condition - race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, neuro atypical, mental health conditions, DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, etc. And instilling a strong attitude of treating ‘perpetrators’ with respect - they are citizens too, and PRESUMED INNOCENT until convicted.

Most Western European countries have very much higher standards for police (who often don’t even carry guns) than we do, and then we train them to be militarized and hair triggered and set them loose amongst us with near total authority over us in any situation they - often arbitrarily - decide is under their authority. That’s nuts.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

The Onion hasn't gone out of business...not quite yet, anyway:
Do You Know Why I’m Pulling You Over, Being Wildly Aggressive, And Charging You With Assault Today, Sir?

Good afternoon, sir. Go ahead and roll your window all the way down for me. My name is Officer Daniel McEwen from the Greene County Police Department. Now, do you know why I’m pulling you over today, being overly aggressive, and charging you with a felony count of assaulting a police officer?

I’m going to need to see your driver’s license, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance. Thank you, sir. Now, just sit tight in your car while I take a look here and grow increasingly hostile. I’m just going to start addressing you in an unmistakably threatening tone that is specifically meant to intimidate and provoke, and then drastically escalate the situation so that it quickly gets out of hand.

Are you aware of the speed limit on this road, sir? It’s 35. I had you clocked at 52 miles per hour, which is why I had to stop you and exhibit a nakedly confrontational, antagonistic, and condescending attitude, practically daring you to challenge my authority in any way whatsoever. You can’t be driving that fast around here, so I’m going to have to write you a ticket and then violently place you under arrest the moment you do or say anything that isn’t in complete and utter compliance—or which could even be remotely construed as noncompliant—with every single instruction I give to you.

Do you understand all that, sir?

If you have any questions about this ticket, I’d be happy to wildly overreact to anything you say that shows the slightest hint of resentment, annoyance, or resistance. Really, while you have me here, I can easily interpret any snide remark or frustrated comment as a potential threat to my safety—even so much as an angry look—and respond in a disproportionately combative way by erupting in unwarranted rage, taking out either my 50,000-volt Taser or my handgun, and pointing it directly at you through the driver’s side window.

Now, I have to head back to my patrol car real quick, so please bear with me here for a few minutes. Then you can be on your way to jail in no time as soon as I come back and forcibly remove you from your vehicle, slam you into the asphalt, cuff you, and jam my knee into your back as I radio in that I need backup right away because you’re resisting arrest—all the while both outright ignoring your vocalized concerns for your safety and directing my own petty, barbed insults at you. Just so we’re on the same page here, you’ll be getting three points on your license for speeding and also assault charges that carry a minimum sentence of one year in prison, but you’ll be assumed guilty of both while I automatically receive the benefit of the doubt despite any and all evidence to the contrary.

You know what, why don’t you step out of the car, sir? And put that goddamn cell phone away.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God