trump is serious!!!!!

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

Re: trump is serious!!!!!

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Scooter wrote:"What swamp?  These are federally protected wetlands!"
Love it, Scooter.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

ETA:

God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

This is just the 10,000th lie that we KNOW about; the actual tally is certainly much higher.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Absolutely, it would be much better to count the times he tells the truth--one day that may happen.

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

I know this thread is not (anymore) a place for serious posts, but, speaking of Trump's lies, I thought this analysis was excellent, and explains not just Trump and his supporters in general, but also a couple of posters on this board.

From Robyn Pennacchia at Wonkette:
  • Trump Has Told 10,000 Lies And The Truth Will Not Set Us Free

If there is one thing I know for sure about people, it is that most of them assume that other people think and act like they do. Everyone who has ever dated anyone knows that 9 out of 10 times, the person who is extremely jealous and paranoid about you cheating on them is definitely cheating on you. People who lie all the time assume everyone else is lying all the time as well. Gossips assume everyone is talking about them behind their backs. This goes for good or completely neutral qualities as well. If you are not a manipulative person, it may not occur to you that someone is messing with your head.

This is something we do in politics a whole lot, especially when it comes to Trump. We assume that the things we find repulsive about him are things other people will find repulsive about him as well. We think, for instance, that those people are going to read that Trump told his 10,000th lie this week and begin to question whether or not they should support someone who lies that much. We get mad, rightfully, when the New York Times refers to an obvious lie as "repeating an inaccurate refrain."

We think "How on earth could you trust someone who lies that much? Or, at the very least, not think there is a little something wrong with them? DO YOU NOT KNOW HE IS LYING?" If someone lied to us that much, we would find that insulting.

We assume they must not know that he is lying, that somehow they believe everything he is saying is true. We believe, on some level, that if they knew he was lying, they would realize that he is terrible.

The truth is, they know and they do not care. They are not going to care. Take the hope that they may someday care and throw it right out the damn window because it is not happening. There is no bridge too far.

This is because Trump's supporters view his lies in an entirely different light than we do. They know he lies, and it's not just that they don't care, it's that they see his lies as either compliments designed to make them feel good about themselves or as Trump doing some incredible 4D chess move to manipulate the media -- which they like, because they see the media as not just out to get Trump, but also, by extension, out to get them.

Over on the AskTrumpSupporters subreddit, one of the most common responses to someone asking how they Trump supporters feel about whatever Trump recently lied about is "he just wants to energize his base!" They often see the lies he tells as something more akin to a coach revving up his team before a game -- by saying how bad the other team is and how great they are. It doesn't matter if those things are true, because that is beside the point.

When I was growing up in Rochester, we used to have this injury lawyer named Jim "The Hammer" Shapiro. And Jim "The Hammer" Shapiro would do these completely batshit commercials where he would just scream about severed heads while standing next to a screen showing a bunch of explosions or Satan's head or whatever.

His tagline in many of these commercials was "I may be an S.O.B., but I'm your S.O.B.," and if you want to know how Trump's supporters think of his lies and all the terrible things he does, that phrase just about sums it up. The way they see it, all politicians lie to them, the media lies to them, but Trump lies for them. And for those who dig the whole strongman thing, the very act of Trump telling a lie and "getting away with it" by suffering no consequences is a power move. It only makes them love him more. Coming up with explanations for why his lies are either actually true or do not matter is a game they actually enjoy playing.

I am not suggesting that we stop pointing out when he lies, but we are not going to win whatever the hell this war is with Snopes, with facts, or even with headlines with the word "lie" in them, and we should not expect to.
    The truth will not set us free. We're not just fighting dishonesty, we're fighting solipsism, cruelty and weaponized low self-esteem, and we are going to have to tailor our approach accordingly.

The same may or may not go for Bill Barr, we have no idea. But Trump? Yes. They love that.
God @The Tweet of God

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

And to those who say, run the country like a business. I have spent the last 40 years working for various businesses, for the most part very ethical. I have once been asked to do something illegal, which I refused to do. (In defense of my boss I didn't know it was illegal and I suspect that maybe he didn't either: I just thought it was scientifically invalid and fucking stupid and I told him so.)

Where this syndrome - refusal to see the truth - plays out in even the most ethical companies is in the hiring process. Some idiot pulls the wool over the Senior VP's eyes and gets hired and it's apparent to the rest of us that he's a passenger. That competent and ethical VP often refuses to see the folly of his decision, and because the rest of us don't want to see the company go down the tubes (we'd all be out of work) we clean up after the idiot.

Offhand I can think of a dozen or so major instances of this over the last 40 years. Trumpism is the same syndrome.

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Your truck, wes?
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

A billionaire, a Russian spy, and a sexual predator walk into a bar.
The bartender says, "What can I get you, Mr. Trump?"
-"BB"-

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

What about the billionaire?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

:ok

wesw

Post by wesw »

but what if you all are wrong?

what if you were fooled?

will you be able to change your views , if you learn new facts?

I wonder.

I am not confident.

it takes a very wise person to admit that they have been fooled.

humility is hard.

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

wesw wrote:it takes a very wise person to admit that they have been fooled.
I think the word you're searching for is "conned".  Trump is one of the biggest grifters to ever come down the Beltway.

So the question is still valid, but I pose it to you thusly — will YOU be able to change your views, if you learn new facts?
-"BB"-

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

could be, but, he has a demonstrated ability to resist learning anything.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

wesw

Post by wesw »

I certainly hope so, but the facts, which you seem to be able to ignore or remain ignorant of, present a picture of deceit corruption,sedition...., and yes...., treason.

clapper brennan Clinton lynch strok page yates powers, and others seem to be the epitome of a pit of vipers.

just my view of it.......

heilemann scarbro mica brehznef and others in the media are equally implicated, I think.

fake neww is the enemy of liberty.

you are the press, speak freely, you are the govt, think freely.

we are the news.

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

God @The Tweet of God