trump is serious!!!!!

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
BoSoxGal

Re: trump is serious!!!!!

Post by BoSoxGal »

This should go in that thread titled ‘Shit you can’t make up’ or whatever, but I was too lazy to look for it.

HRH Donald J Trump has apparently insisted that his name be included on coronavirus stimulus paper checks that are distributed to citizens who don’t have direct deposit banking information on file with IRS.

This is the first time in history that a treasury check has gone out with the president’s name on it - his will be in the memo line. As in: don’t forget to vote for me in November!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/politics ... index.html
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Deaths vs positive cases? No - replies vs. views of this thread. Shorely some kind of record? And we have wesw to thank for it?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

dales

Post by dales »

Let us not forget this:

"The Treasury Department has ordered President Donald Trump's name be printed on stimulus checks the Internal Revenue Service is rushing to send to tens of millions of Americans, a process that is expected to slow their delivery by several days, senior agency officials said."

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:25 am
This should go in that thread titled ‘Shit you can’t make up’ or whatever, but I was too lazy to look for it.

HRH Donald J Trump has apparently insisted that his name be included on coronavirus stimulus paper checks that are distributed to citizens who don’t have direct deposit banking information on file with IRS.

This is the first time in history that a treasury check has gone out with the president’s name on it - his will be in the memo line. As in: don’t forget to vote for me in November!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/politics ... index.html
Grudgingly, I've got to give Trump credit for this.  Only a first-class con-man would be able to make people believe he is being so caring and generous in giving us this, when all he is really doing is giving back some of the money he's already screwed us out of.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Headline of the day from the Grauniad:
Pandemic shines harsh light on Trump's failure to protect pangolins
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:07 am
I have to admit that I thought this was a little piece of Meade satire - and quite a good one. But what did I find when I settled back for my daily perusal of all the best news but this. Being the Graun of course they have to be even-handed so a couple of paragraphs in there is this (my emphasis added):
Although there is still much uncertainty about the nature of the disease’s emergence, the unwillingness of the Trump administration, and the Obama administration before it, to provide legal protections to pangolins, and other species, has intensified scrutiny of America’s faltering role in international wildlife conservation efforts. Scientists and advocates say these are essential to preventing the kind of pandemic currently sweeping the globe.
One thing Americans don't understand about the British newspaper industry is this. In Louisville if want a newspaper I get the Courier-Journal or pay $$$ for a WSJ or NYT. If I live in Buffalo I get the Buffalo News. Every newsagent in the UK stocks the same national choices - The Guardian, the Express, the Sun, the Telegraph and so on. Some places have additionally a more locally oriented paper such as the Western Mail in Wales. So the Telegraph can have a right wing slant and the Guardian a more leftist take on the news, and get away with it. Most US newspapers, except in those few cities where there is more than one, have to be all things to all people and thus, in my view, a little blander. I'm not saying one model is better than the other but geography makes a difference.

RayThom

Trump Is Serious!!!!!

Post by RayThom »

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Andy, it is worse than that in the US now. There used to be some wonderful local newspapers. (Hemingway reported the Spanish Civil War for the Kansas City Star) the Miami Herald, Detroit Free Press, Toledo Blade. . . now most of the ones that are left are part of a national conglomerate that puts out the news in mass and there is a bit of local re-arrangement of the placement within the paper, to make room for the local grocery store coupons, which is the main selling point for the local paper.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Trump is suing a Wisconsin TV station for running this ad:

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

dales

Post by dales »

Sorry BSG, I didn't mean to steal your thunder with this post.

I failed to notice that you had previously posted the same thing.

dales wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:31 am
Let us not forget this:

"The Treasury Department has ordered President Donald Trump's name be printed on stimulus checks the Internal Revenue Service is rushing to send to tens of millions of Americans, a process that is expected to slow their delivery by several days, senior agency officials said."

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Tell me more about this law suit. I guess it is a civil matter, Trump personally, not the Fed Justice Dept or the FCC?

What are the rules about this sort of thing in Wisconsin? Is there big court costs or posted bond to discourage frivolous actions?

Does the loser have to pay the costs for the other side? Any hope that this will require Trump to appear in court?

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Burning Petard wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:59 am
Tell me more about this law suit. I guess it is a civil matter, Trump personally, not the Fed Justice Dept or the FCC?

What are the rules about this sort of thing in Wisconsin? Is there big court costs or posted bond to discourage frivolous actions?

Does the loser have to pay the costs for the other side? Any hope that this will require Trump to appear in court?

snailgate
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.co ... c-ad%3Famp
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

dales wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:56 am
Sorry BSG, I didn't mean to steal your thunder with this post.

I failed to notice that you had previously posted the same thing.

dales wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:31 am
Let us not forget this:

No worries, I assumed you’d just not seen mine. It’s an outrageous story worth hammering home more than once, anyway!
~ Carl Sagan

dales

Post by dales »

I just read in the SF Chronicle that Trump DENIES even doing this.

It was his underlings fault.

Can't wait until the orange turd becomes a one-term POTUS!

yrs,
rubato

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:59 pm
Trump is suing bullying a Wisconsin TV station for running this ad:

Fixed it for you, BSG.
And technically, it's not Trump himself, but his re-election campaign committee.... not that there's all that much difference.

So who's the focus of the hate?  No, not a major station in a big-market city, but a station in Rhinelander, WI (population around 20,000). The lawsuit follows a series of cease-and-desist letters sent to various stations that have also threatened the stations' licenses as well, saying that by running the ads they could “put your station’s license in jeopardy.”

Basically, the committee is doing something patently illegal, but fighting it all the way along the line in court is going to be beyond the financial resources of this station — and Trump's committee knows damned good and well that they don't the ability to contest it, so they push the suit anyway.  And to me, that's a classic case of the big guy bullying the little guy into silence — or at least trying to.

Here's hoping some big law firm from Milwaukee or Madison gets behind this station on a pro bono basis, and ends up slapping Trump and his minions right upside their smug, smirking, lying faces.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:07 am
To be a perfect Grauniad headline it should read; "Pandemic shines harsh light on Trump's failure to protect BAME, gay, disabled, refugee, pangolins from domestic violence, by refusing them Universal credit, says Labour spokesperson."
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Gob

Post by Gob »

While stitching a cut on the hand of a 75 year old farmer, the doctor struck up a conversation with the old man. Eventually the topic got around to Donald Trump and his role as the Republican Nominee for President.

The old farmer said, ” Well, as I see it, Donald Trump is like a ‘Post Tortoise’.”

Not being familiar with the term, the doctor asked him what a ‘post tortoise’ was.

The old farmer said, “When you’re driving down a country road and you come across a fence post with a tortoise balanced on top, that’s a post tortoise.”

The old farmer saw the puzzled look on the doctor’s face so he continued to explain. “You know he didn’t get up there by himself, he doesn’t belong up there, he doesn’t know what to do while he’s up there, he’s elevated beyond his ability to function, and you just wonder what kind of dumb ass put him up there to begin with.”
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

"And technically, it's not Trump himself, but his re-election campaign committee.... not that there's all that much difference" Seems to me there is a world of difference. The case is a "defamation of character" for unspecified damages. Can I sue or defamation because I think Biden gets a bad rap in some of the GOP ads? What are the Wisconsin rules about SLAPP? If this ever does come to trial, (long after th election is over) I can imagine the defense stipulating that Trump did not exactly say the virus was a hoax, but trump stated so many lies daily that what is the harm?

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

~ Carl Sagan