trump is serious!!!!!

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

Re: trump is serious!!!!!

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

RayThom

Trump Is Serious!!!!!

Post by RayThom »

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Fake News, Ray!!!!!

Spicy told us, almost three years ago now, that Trump doesn't own a bathrobe.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Not surprising; from the size of his hands, we can see there isn't much for a robe to cover up.

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

God @The Tweet of God

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

RayThom

Trump Is Serious!!!!!

Post by RayThom »

Stalin used to do this a lot, but he used more than a Sharpie.

When 'ol Joe ghosted you, you were literally ghosted. Gone forever.

I'm sure our Grifter-in-Chief would also do this but he has not yet achieved despotic rule. Not yet.

Four more years, that should do it.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

In his next term he’ll figure out how to get the Republicunts on board with a constitutional change allowing him to serve forever, just like Putin. He’s going to be the Republicunts’ answer to FDR.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

He may well try, but I doubt he could get the amendment passed by Congress and then ratified by 38 states in the 4 years he'd serve. Thankfully our process is long.

but it's a reason why our congressional and senate votes are just as crucial as the presidential one--maybe even more critical.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

It only took 4 years the first time, so :shrug
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

True, but then even 4 years is too long to let him run again; we'd probably need the amendment passed, ratified, and entered in around 3 years so he could start a campaign. Impossible? No, but I still think unlikely.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I hope you are right. The thing is, stuff is happening right now that I would’ve thought impossible just a few years ago. We are finding out things about the profound divisions in our country, and the character of many of our politicians and fellow citizens, that a very great many of us would have thought impossible just a few years ago. Our country is slipping into something other than democracy. What happens with this impeachment trial isn’t just about Trump being removed or not - it’s whether we will allow our presidents to behave like Banana republic dictators - because whatever Trump gets away with now becomes standard practice down the road. The balance of powers is out of balance with a rogue political party promoting that agenda.

Frankly, it’s all terrifying and I don’t think anything is impossible anymore. I would not be surprised by anything anymore, because what has already happened is so insane that I now realize there is a very fine line between democracy and fascism.

Interesting related piece: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... rders.html
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

That I have no doubt about, and it is scary; the most scary thing, however, is how many people are just ignoring what's going on. there was a slight roll back of presidential power after Nixon, but for the most part people are more than happy to let the president rule in the absence of Congressional action, looking at Congress as an institut6ion that does not work so we have to rely on the president to get things done. Of course, that has been the mantra of every despot who seizes more any more power; and even if it is benevolent, a dictator is a dictator. That's where I see us moving steadily since the 70s--back to an imperial presidency. And if an ass like Trump isn't enough to scare people away from that, I honestly don't know what is.

RayThom

Trump Is Serious!!!!!

Post by RayThom »

Complacency will be our undoing as a democracy.

Too many people say we will survive the Big Grifter as a nation even if the Giant Hemorrhoid gets four more years -- plus or minus. I'm not so sure.

Every day I feel we're moving closer and closer to revolution, and that's not going to be pretty.

"God bless America" will be replace by "God bless Trump."

Bigly sad.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

personally, I think we will survive even another term of him, but we will continue on our downhill slide to dictatorship. Trump doesn't have the skills to fill that role, but I do think we will eventually welcome a dictator with shouts of acclamation as a man (or woman) who can get the things we need done, done; someone who will break the stalemate of congress because congress is irrelevant. Oh, (s)he'll be (or at least appear to be) benevolent at first, but give him/her time--and then we'll have nothing to fall back on. if Trump doesn't move the people to action, I fear nothing will.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sorry, please ignore.

RayThom

Trump Is Serious!!!!!

Post by RayThom »

Big RR wrote:Sorry, please ignore.
RR, are you OK?

You could have just deleted that post rather than apologize for it.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I guess so, but didn't think of it.

But I won't apologize again! :lol: