And so it begins...

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

And so it begins...

Post by Scooter »

Gay man attacked by Trump supporters on US election night

A gay man was reportedly attacked by Donald Trump supporters on US election night, leaving him with a bloody gash on the top of his head.

Chris Ball, from Calgary, spent the evening in a Santa Monica bar watching poll results come in.

As it grew more likely the Republican ticket would win, attitudes became more heated on both sides of the campaign.

‘People started launching homophobic slurs at me from afar,’ he told Metro. ‘I mean, I kind of got into it, but I didn’t want to provoke them.’

‘They were saying things like, “We got a new president you fucking faggots.’

Later, when Ball was leaving the bar alone, he walked through an alley when he was jumped by a group of men.

One smashed a bottle over his head, creating a huge gash. He fell back, his head smashing against the concrete, where he blacked out.

‘When I came to, I remember waking up and wiping the blood from my eyes. I called some friends, they picked me up and I went right to the hospital,’ he said.

Ball said he was stitched up at the hospital, had five staples put in his head, but he’s feeling fine and it looked a lot worse than it felt.
Pride flags are being burned in Rochester

A possible attack against the local LGBTQ community happened this week - less than 24 hours after Election Day.

There have been reports of rainbow pride flags being burned outside homes in Rochester. News 8 spoke with two people, locally, who had flags that were burned.

One of the homes that was targeted was on Marion Street. The other was on Atlantic Avenue - just a few blocks away from each other.

The victims, Greg Ventura and Lois Graham, say that they are shocked and believe that this was a hate crime.

"They sent out police and firemen to investigate," said Ventura. "As soon as the word hate crime was used, I realized the severity of the message behind the burning of my flag."

Ventura's flag was set on fire while still attached to his house - and fire officials told him that because of the flammable vinyl siding on his porch, the fire could have easily been worse.

"It's ok to hate now," said Graham. "That's the message that's being spread now, and I know a lot of people that are scared."

Police are working with the Rochester Fire Department to investigate the incidents as arson. No suspects are currently in custody.

Police also say they are working in conjunction with the Gay Alliance on these two incidents. Anyone with information is being asked to call 911.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Re: And so it begins...

Post by BoSoxGal »

I've seen stories being shared all over Facebook of really racist shit - kindergartners being told by classmates that they're going to be deported now, high school students harassing other students of color and saying Seig Heil! Trump!, storefronts and vehicles being spray-painted with swastikas and 'build that wall', etc.

The HS incident took place in PA and the Principal sent letters home acknowledging it - though claims it was 'only a few' students.

Any other incidents were fabricated by BLM and liberal scum to make Trump and his followers look bad - of course. :roll:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Pence Promises Supporters That LGBTQ Rights Will Be FIRST To Go

Just before the nation began holding its breath in collective terror of living in the America that Trump promised to give us, and just before Trump supporters and privileged cis folks felt the need to tell minorities to calm down and accept a Trump presidency, the nation’s new vice president gave a speech promising that the first rights to be taken away under a Trump/Pence administration are the rights of LGBTQ citizens. Barely anyone seemed to notice.

During an interview with James Dobson, host of the wildly homophobic Focus on the Family, Mike Pence assured his interviewer and his supporters that any progress made toward protecting LGBTQ rights under President Obama will be swiftly undone under President Trump. Issue by issue, he asserted over and over again a plan to marginalize and invalidate an entire group of citizens whom he is about to lead as vice-president.
We barely escaped being herded into concentration camps during the Reagan era, when almost no one spoke up to defend us. Who will speak out to defend us if the Trump/Pence agenda sets us back down that path?

-- Author unknown

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

I will.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Really?

You could have started with your vote. Didn't you know that Pence was a homophobe who has a history of infringing on LGBTQ rights whenever possible?

You should have, it's all over the public record.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

wesw

Post by wesw »

I will too....

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

But only if you think it "counts"
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Hmm...wasn't Trump at Elton Johns wedding?

rubato

Post by rubato »

Trump has been on both sides of every issue and changes whenever it suits his interests of the moment, not a 'loyal' friend of any principle.

yrs,
rubato

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Donald Trump's one guiding principle, which he has consistently followed throughout his whole life, is to make sure that whatever he does benefits Donald Trump first and foremost. So far as I can tell he has never violated this principle.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Florida’s New Anti-Gay, Anti-Woman Bill May Be the Most Malicious Yet

By Mark Joseph Stern

There are very few feminist homophobes in the world, which makes sense: Those who seek to deprive gay people of their fundamental rights are rarely eager to enact laws respecting women’s dignity and autonomy. That near-truism is playing out in Florida—where, not content to debase just gays, the legislature is now considering a bill that demeans both gays and women in creative and innovative ways.

Florida’s new “religious freedom” bill, just introduced but already gaining traction, begins with an Indiana-esque guarantee that most businesses and corporations may legally turn away gay couples if doing so “would be contrary to [their] religious or moral convictions.” Similarly, the bill allows private adoption agencies to refuse to place children with same-sex couples if such placement goes against “the religious or moral convictions or policies of the agency.” In other words, an adoption agency needn’t even articulate a specific religious reason why it would rather keep a child orphaned than place her with a loving gay couple. The agency need only state that its “policies” mandate such homophobia, and it is protected by the bill. (Florida’s legislature considered a similar anti-gay adoption bill in April, but it died after one courageous Republican denounced it from the Senate floor.)

So far, so familiar. But here’s where things get odd—and grim for the women of Florida. The bill states that “a health care facility,” “an ambulatory surgery center,” “a nursing home,” “an assisted living facility,” “a hospice … operated by a religious institution,” and any “health care provider” can refuse to treat a patient or administer a medication if doing so would be contrary to its “religious or moral convictions or policies.” The implications for women here are obvious: Pharmacists could refuse to provide birth control or Plan B; doctors could refuse to place IUDs; nurses could refuse to assist in medically necessary abortions.

For LGBTQ people, this provision of the bill should be equally chilling. Despite the fact that gay and trans people face unique health challenges, LGBTQ-friendly health care is terribly deficient. The Florida bill would compound this problem by permitting doctors to turn away LGBTQ patients if treating them—or treating ailments they perceive to be LGBTQ-specific—would violate their “convictions.” Doctors could refuse to perform surgery on LGBTQ people, unless that refusal “places the patient in imminent danger of loss of life or serious bodily injury.” Cleverly, the bill doesn’t just shield doctors from liability suits from would-be patients: It also shields them from disciplinary actions by their hospital or medical association. So much for the Hippocratic Oath.

The remainder of the bill—the portions allowing elder care facilities and many hospices to turn away gay people—are almost comically evil. In fact, they are so ridiculously malevolent that I must wonder if Rep. Julio Gonzalez, the bill’s sponsor, a physician who was endorsed by Sen. Marco Rubio, doesn’t have an ulterior motive here. A narrower anti-gay discrimination bill (inanely dubbed the Pastor Protection Act) has already sailed through a subcommittee and looks likely to get a floor vote. Perhaps Gonzalez’s bill is designed to make the other, somewhat less odious bill appear moderate by comparison. That is pretty much the only rational reason I can imagine a putative representative of the people would even consider such a plainly malicious, proudly discriminatory, profoundly malefic measure.

-- Author unknown

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I absolutely will Scooter.

And bullfuckingshit wes and oldr, you've already proved that you don't give a crap with your votes.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

wesw

Post by wesw »

don t join the haters guin.....

its all bullshit and false victimhood

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Don't condescend to me wes. I'm not and never have been a hater. You should look inside your own self and your own history here before you cast stones at me.

The hate that Trump gave voice and face to is just beginning. Here's a sampling of more:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buzzfe ... ent=safari

I'm only getting started to fight this crap and thankfully there are many of us who will do the same.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

wesw

Post by wesw »

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

wesw wrote:its all bullshit and false victimhood
Is this what false victimhood looks like, wes?

At least now you've shown your true colours and proven that you side with those who did this.

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Jarlaxle wrote:Hmm...wasn't Trump at Elton Johns wedding?
I have no idea whether he was there because I wasn't invited. I do know that while he was campaigning for the presidency of the United States, he explicitly promised to appoint judges who would overturn the SCOTUS rulings on same-sex marriage.

-- Author unknown

wesw

Post by wesw »

scooter , you are a known liar and I doubt that many folks here trust the veracity of anything you post.

I know that I don t.

you don t define me.

a scribbled note with no context or verification, a nasty photo with no context or verification.

you are a sick nasty hateful little man and I pity you.
Last edited by wesw on Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Oh ok, that guy is lying, he was never attacked.

I guess that's the version of "reality" we will come to expect in the next four years.

No one has to define you, wes. You defined yourself by siding with the monsters who would perpetrate such an attack.
Last edited by Scooter on Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-- Author unknown