And so it begins...

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

Re: And so it begins...

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I can understand keeping transgender people out of the military if they're undergoing treatment, just like they should keep out anyone undergoing any other type of major medical treatment, but not based only on the fact they are transgender. Sometimes I think the world has gone nuts. Other times I know the world has gone nuts.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: And So It Begins...

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
RayThom wrote:According to FUXNews:

Such a despicable thing for them to do - I doubt very much it wasn’t intentional. :arg
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.  Just about every major news organ — TV, radio, print, whatever — has a certain number of pre-written obits that are continually updated and on standby, cued up or typeset and ready to roll should someone like Ginsberg or Pence or Putin or Queen Lizzie or Trump croak, and it should come as no surprise to anyone that second-tier news sources like Faux News would have them too.  And there have been multiple instances before where one of these has made it into print or out on the airwaves in error.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

This "error", coinciding as is did with a period when Ginsburg is facing a serious health challenge, was clearly a "we wish she would just hurry up and die" message being sent to their viewer base.

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Joe Guy wrote:I can understand keeping transgender people out of the military if they're undergoing treatment, just like they should keep out anyone undergoing any other type of major medical treatment, but not based only on the fact they are transgender. Sometimes I think the world has gone nuts. Other times I know the world has gone nuts.
... or nutless.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

MajGenl.Meade wrote: ... or nutless.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

(Post moved to correct thread.)
Last edited by Lord Jim on Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Joe Guy wrote:I can understand keeping transgender people out of the military if they're undergoing treatment, just like they should keep out anyone undergoing any other type of major medical treatment, but not based only on the fact they are transgender. Sometimes I think the world has gone nuts. Other times I know the world has gone nuts.
If I understand correctly, there is a prolonged period of hormonal treatment followed, if the individual so chooses, by surgical reassignment. I don't think that hormonal treatment requires any sort of military redeployment or undeployment; whereas I assume that surgical intervention would require some recovery period. I presume that the military has procedures for when a service member is temporarily incapacitated by surgical recovery (e.g., C-section, appendicitis, heart bypass) which does not include dismissal from the force but which may have a combination of rest and perhaps light duties. A process of gender reassignment should be treated no differently.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Scooter wrote:Image
And just as importantly, none of the soldiers who came to Tammy Duckworth's rescue cared if she was gay, straight, transgender, black, white, male or female. All that mattered was that there was another American soldier who needed their aid.
GAH!

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Certainly not at the same level, but I'm a volunteer fire fighter working with the fire police. A neighboring company has a transgender female working with them. When we work together, she's just another officer. She's not "that transgender officer". She does her job and does it well.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

More fake news, KKKwes?
School Closed After Parents Declare ‘Hunting Season’ on 12-Year-Old Transgender Student: ‘A Good Sharp Knife Will Do the Job’

A middle school in Achille, Oklahoma is closed following violent threats by parents on social media against Maddie, a 12-year-old transgender student who identifies as female and used the girls’ bathroom.

Maddie had been using the staff bathroom at her old school but used the girls’ bathroom at the new school because she wasn’t sure where the staff bathroom was. She was then accused of peeping under a bathroom stall. Her mother said it was probably because she “leans very far forward to use the bathroom.”

Then the threats began on a private parents’ Facebook group for the school. The parents called Maddie “it” and “thing”, suggested that her genitalia be mutilated to make her female (“a good sharp knife will do the job real quick”). One said it was “hunting season on them kind” and said there was “no bag limit.”

See the screenshots:

Maddie’s mother Brandy Rose said she fears for her life: “These are adults making threats– I don’t understand it. She’s an awesome kid. To see any fear in her, I can’t explain how bad that hurts me for them to hurt her.”

KXII reports: “The sheriff said the mother filed a protective order against one parent but no other arrests have been made, however several agencies including the FBI are stepping in to see if any comments constitute a hate crime.”

Protestors duct taped their mouths to represent how they wanted to speak using actions and not words. They wore red to stand together in unity.

“We’re not gonna tolerate any threats.”

Sheriff Johnny Christian said Bryan County is working with several agencies including the FBI to see if any comments constitute a hate crime.

He emphasized that a few comments do not represent Achille as a whole, and that many people who commented on Facebook weren’t even from the county.

“Our communities in Bryan County are amazing. They are quiet and take good care of our children. The schools are amazing.”

Police had an area set up for counter-protesters but nobody showed up.

Rick Beene, the superintendent of Achille Public Schools, which have about 360 students, said in an interview on Tuesday that he had held a staff meeting after receiving hundreds of messages about the episode.

“What we decided is that we need to be more educated,” Mr. Beene said. “Not so much for anything that we did as a staff but for what we didn’t do.”

Mr. Beene has hired a hall monitor, he said, to help ensure that students aren’t being bullied. The school district has a no-tolerance policy for bullying, according to its website.

“Let’s go back to the basics here — did Jesus want to protect children?” Mr. Beene said. “Absolutely.”
KKKwes, is this what making America great again looks like?

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Trump smirks as Brazil’s far right president says they are united against LGBTQ people

President Jair Bolsonaro said that the U.S. and Brazil are united in their efforts to undermine and erase LGBTQ people while Donald Trump stood beside him.

Bolsonaro and Trump delivered joint statements at the White House yesterday to kick off the Brazilian president’s visit to the U.S.

At the end of his statement, Bolsonaro said, “In conclusion, may I say that Brazil and the United States stand side by side in their efforts to ensure liberties and respect to the traditional family lifestyles and respect to God, our creator, against the gender ideology and the politically correct attitudes and against fake news.”

“May I voice my admiration and recognition to president Donald Trump on this beautiful day where we seal the promising alliance between the two most promising and largest democracies in the Western hemisphere,” he added.

Trump did not respond to those comments, but he smirked when Bolsonaro mentioned “fake news.” The two went on to take questions on unrelated matters from the press.

olsonaro is staunchly opposed to LGBTQ equality. He has said that he would never love his son if he came out as gay.

On television in 2017, he said that he would never have a gay son because his family has “a good education.”

He also promised to ban any references to LGBTQ people at school, saying that it’s a threat to the country’s Christian values.

Bolsonaro tweeted a video two weeks ago of a man peeing on another man, saying that the video “exposes the truth” about gay people.

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Hate crimes increased 226% in places Trump held a campaign rally in 2016, study claims

US counties where President Donald Trump held a campaign rally saw a 226% increase in reported hate crimes over similar counties that did not hold a rally, political scientists at the University of North Texas said in an analysis published in The Washington Post.

According to a study done by University of North Texas professors Regina Branton and Valerie Martinez-Ebers, and PhD candidate Ayal Feinberg, the scientists found that Trump's statements during the 2016 campaign "may encourage hate crimes" in the respective counties.

The study measured the correlation between counties that hosted a 2016 campaign rally and the crime rates in the months that followed. The scientists used the Anti-Defamation League's map that measures acts of violence and compared the counties that hosted a rally with others that had similar characteristics, including minority population, location, and active hate groups.

"We examined this question, given that so many politicians and pundits accuse Trump of emboldening white nationalists," the analysis said in The Post.

Branton, Martinez-Ebers, and Feinberg noted that their study "cannot be certain" that the marked increase was solely attributed to Trump's rhetoric. But they also shut down the suggestion that the reported hate crimes were fake.

"In fact, this charge is frequently used as a political tool to dismiss concerns about hate crimes," the analysis said. "Research shows it is far more likely that hate crime statistics are considerably lower because of underreporting."

"Additionally, it is hard to discount a 'Trump effect' when a considerable number of these reported hate crimes reference Trump," they continued. "According to the ADL's 2016 data, these incidents included vandalism, intimidation and assault."

Hate crimes in the US reportedly increased 17% in 2017 compared to the previous year, according to an annual FBI report published in November 2018.

Democrats have widely cited Trump's rhetoric in emboldening hate groups, however, he has brushed off these suggestions.

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Mike Huckabee: LGBTQ Rights Are 'Biggest Threat' to U.S.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee told a Christian news outlet that tolerance of LGBTQ individuals poses a threat to America’s “moral fiber.”

“The biggest threat to biblical principles today is the failure to apply a biblical standard of maleness and femaleness,” Huckabee told The Christian Post.

He suggested to the outlet religious people have been too accepting of individuals.

“We are creating this illusion that there is no gender, there is no identity, and I'm blaming the Christian Church.”

Huckabee served as governor of Arkansas from 1996 through 2007. But today’s he’s best known as a twice-failed presidential candidate and the father to Sarah Huckabee Sanders, mouthpiece for the Trump White House.

In his interview with the Post, Huckabee outlined how the disintegration of traditional marriage led to such terrible things as marriage equality and, in some areas of the country, non-discrimination laws.

He suggested the church created problems by allowing unhappy heterosexual and cisgender couples to get divorced. That’s not something God intended, he said.

When California allowed America’s first “no-fault divorces” in 1970, it marked the beginning of the end, he asserted.

“That’s when we first started losing that sense of sacredness of what marriage meant,” he argued. “So I'm not really that surprised that same sex-marriage has become in vogue because the Christian Church were the ones who essentially abdicated a strict responsibility about what biblical marriage should look like.

“Once you've destroyed that, why can't you have any and everything?”

He draws a straight line from dissolving unhappy marriages to letting gay people have happy ones. From there, trans rights came next. He also blames a rise in single parents for He even cites a Bible verse.

“The gender dysphoria we're seeing today is largely due to the fact that the Church has failed to present very clearly the words of Jesus and Genesis 5:2: ‘Male and female He created them.’”

Huckabee of course has postured himself in the fight against equality before, positioning himself to the right of Ted Cruz. He has previously suggested same-sex marriage will lead to bisexual polygamy.

Before suggesting LGBTQ rights were a greater threat than any other facing America, he accused President Obama of prioritizing commemorating Pride Month over fighting ISIS.

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

When California allowed America’s first “no-fault divorces” in 1970, it marked the beginning of the end, he asserted.

“That’s when we first started losing that sense of sacredness of what marriage meant,” he argued. “So I'm not really that surprised that same sex-marriage has become in vogue because the Christian Church were the ones who essentially abdicated a strict responsibility about what biblical marriage should look like.
This does not of course dissuade Huckabee from supporting the thrice-divorced philandering (e.g., Stormy, Karen McD) Trump.

I did like Buttagieg's response to Pence: "your quarrel, sir, is with my creator."

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

More of wes's fellow brownshirts in action:
Colorado Trans Man Assaulted on Front Porch for 'Acting Gay'

A Colorado Springs trans man is recuperating after he says three men hopped over his fence, screamed slurs at him and his partner, and physically assaulted him.

The attack occurred Saturday in the city of Colorado Springs, a bastion of conservatism in increasingly liberal Colorado. Emmit Davis says he was simply sitting on his front porch with his partner when a group of men began yelling homophobic slurs at them, ostensibly believing they were a same-sex couple.

When Davis responded to the epithets, the men jumped over his fence and punched him several times while screaming more slurs.

"For it to happen in our own front yard, it was pretty terrifying," Davis told KRDO-TV, a local ABC affiliate.

"I never in my life thought for being who I am, I would be assaulted," said Davis, who was recently named Mr. Trans of Colorado Springs.

"We're not seen as humans by some people," he added.

The Colorado Springs Police Department is searching for the three suspects, last seen walking in the southeast section of the city. Anyone with information related to the crime can contact its tip line.

Colorado Springs has seen a rise of hate crimes lately, with eight confirmed in 2017 and 12 confirmed last year. Hate crimes across the country jumped 17 percent in 2017, according to a report from the FBI.

-- Author unknown

rubato

Post by rubato »

Oh Mike-y guess who has the highest divorce rate in the nation? G'wan and guess!

State Divorced People per 1,000 Married Individuals
Arkansas ******************** 17.14
Alabama ******************** 15.15
Kentucky ******************** 14.99
Oklahoma ******************** 14.89
Idaho ******************** 14.5
West Virginia ******************** 14.15
Georgia ******************** 14.11
Tennessee ******************** 14.09
South Dakota ******************** 13.59
Colorado ******************** 13.52

Your state, prick.

yrs,
rubato

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Trump Announces 'Conscience Rule' That Threatens LGBTQ Health Care

The Department of Health and Human Services today announced its final “conscience rule” excusing health care personnel from participating in procedures to which they have religious or moral objections.

Activists have warned that the rule could jeopardize health care for LGBTQ people, such as those seeking gender-confirmation procedures or HIV treatment and prevention services, as well as women seeking contraception or abortion.

A draft of the rule was released in January 2018 so that HHS’s Office for Civil Rights could receive comments from the public on it. Donald Trump announced the finalization of the rule during a Rose Garden speech this morning for the National Day of Prayer, and HHS published the final rule on its website.

“To protect this [religious] heritage my administration has strongly defended religious liberty… just today we finalized new protections of conscience rights of physicians, pharmacists, nurses, teachers, students, and faith-based charities. We’ve been wanting to do that for a long time, right, Mike [Pence]?” Trump said at the event. (Video of his speech is below; his remarks about the conscience rule come at about the 31-minute mark.)

“This final rule replaces a 2011 rule that has proven inadequate, and ensures that HHS implements the full set of tools appropriate for enforcing the conscience protections passed by Congress,” says an HHS press release. “These federal laws protect providers, individuals, and other health care entities from having to provide, participate in, pay for, provide coverage of, or refer for, services such as abortion, sterilization, or assisted suicide. It also includes conscience protections with respect to advance directives.” Notably, the Office for Civil Rights is run by Roger Severino, who has a history of anti-LGBTQ activism.

Civil rights advocates have feared that the new rule will allow even those marginally involved in providing health care to opt out because of religious objections, therefore making it more difficult for patients to receive care. This rule could severely affect LGBTQ people living in rural areas where there are few health care options.

“In an attempt to justify more discrimination against transgender people, HHS minimizes the very real pain exemptions like these have caused transgender people,” Gillian Branstetter, media relations manager at the National Center for Transgender Equality, told The Advocate via email.

“I would note the case of Evan Minton, a transgender man who was denied a hysterectomy shortly before the surgery after the religiously affiliated hospital at hand canceled the treatment,” she said. “Notably, the doctors and surgeons actually performing the procedure had no issue with doing so. A very similar case was just filed in California last March and another was filed in New Jersey in January.

“We’re confident this rule will make the lives of transgender people across this country harder. No one should have to check the religious affiliation of a hospital in order to make sure they can get the care their doctors have prescribed them. Religious liberty is a bedrock principle for all Americans — including transgender people — but this regulation is a perversion of that principle.”

Equality California, the nation’s largest statewide LGBTQ rights organization, quickly issued a statement denouncing the rule. “For two years, the Trump-Pence administration has relentlessly attacked LGBTQ people — including transgender service members, children and workers, said Executive Director Rick Zbur. “But today’s attack is one of their most heartless and dangerous yet. President Trump just stood in front of the White House and told millions of LGBTQ Americans that they should be denied lifesaving health care simply because of who they are or whom they love. That is immoral; it is heartless; it is un-American. Someone else’s personal beliefs should never be used as a license to discriminate. Period.”

“The Trump-Pence administration’s latest attack threatens LGBTQ people by permitting medical providers to deny critical care based on personal beliefs,” David Stacy, government affairs director at the Human Rights Campaign, said in a press release. “The administration’s decision puts LGBTQ people at greater risk of being denied necessary and appropriate health care solely based on their sexual orientation or gender identity. Everyone deserves access to medically necessary care and should never be turned away because of who they are or who they love.”

The HRC release noted that “in practice, the broad reach of the rule could allow health care providers to refuse to provide not only abortion and sterilization procedures, but also to deny treatment or preventative care for AIDS or HIV, hormone therapy treatment and transition related care and in-vitro fertilization for lesbians, single women or interfaith couples.”

Louise Melling, deputy legal director at the American Civil Liberties Union, issued a statement as well: “Once again, this administration shows itself to be determined to use religious liberty to harm communities it deems less worthy of equal treatment under the law. This rule threatens to prevent people from accessing critical medical care and may endanger people’s lives. Religious liberty is a fundamental right, but it doesn’t include the right to discriminate or harm others. Denying patients health care is not religious liberty. Discriminating against patients based on their gender or gender expression is not religious liberty. Medical standards, not religious belief, should guide medical care.”

“Access to health care can be life-or-death,” said a statement sent by Lucas Acosta and Elizabeth Renda of the Democratic National Committee. “But rather than seek to improve our health care system, the Trump-Pence administration is determined to strip away access to health care from women, people with HIV/AIDS, and LGBTQ people, particularly transgender and gender-nonconforming individuals. This license to discriminate is unethical and dangerously undermines the health of some of the most vulnerable among us.

“Every individual deserves access to quality health care and lifesaving emergency services. No one should ever be refused medical care because of who they are. It’s clear Republicans still haven’t learned what the 2018 midterm elections mandated — the American people want more access to health care, not less.”

And this from Mary Alice Carter, executive director of Equity Forward: “Religious freedom doesn’t mean carte blanche to discriminate, especially in a health care setting. People should never fear that they’re going to be denied care because of their gender, who they love or their past medical decisions. Today’s rule codifies discrimination and it will result in deep harm to patient care. [HHS Secretary] Alex Azar and Roger Severino should be ashamed. This is exactly the opposite of what our health department should stand for.”

The administration is also expected to soon release the draft of a separate rule that is likely to undermine a portion of the Affordable Care Act providing antidiscrimination protections for transgender people seeking health care. Additionally, the Trump administration Wednesday filed a brief in a federal appeals court arguing that the entire ACA is unconstitutional and should be struck down.

-- Author unknown