Bill Of Impeachment: Article I, Obstruction Of Justice

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

Re: Bill Of Impeachment: Article I, Obstruction Of Justice

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

wesw

Post by wesw »

alm0st, j0e....

it wasn t biden s day in the barrel...., yet.

the dems spent a l0t 0f time 0n biden, d0ing trump s w0rk f0r him.....

f0r s0me0ne they say isn t relevant they sure spent a l0t 0f time 0n him....

I think that the defense sh0uld at least spend an h0ur destrying biden, sh0uldn t take m0re than 15 minutes, but give the devil his due and spend an h0ur f0r the g00d fight.

if there are witnesses, j0hn Kerry and his steps0n sh0uld certainly be there , in the d0ck, with the biden s....

many ther witnesses t0 c0rr0b0rate the massive c0rruptin regarding Ukraine, and energy.

it is all ab0ut energy..., m0ney..., familial p0wer.

a l0t 0f w0rms in that can.

there w0n t be witnesses.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

wesw wrote:I can't point to a single solitary thing the defense said that even weakens, let alone refutes, the House managers' case.

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Take her out!

Treat her to a nice dinner and a movie! Maybe some flowers or chocolate!

Take her out!

To the ball game! Take her out with the crowd!

Buy her some peanuts and Cracker Jack!

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

ex-khobar Andy on January 1 wrote:Chief Justice John Roberts will preside at the impeachment trial. It's unclear to me how much he runs it and how much McConnell is in charge (e.g., rules about calling witnesses) so we'll see how it goes.

. . .

I disagree with a lot of what Roberts has done. (I think that Citizens United - for which Kennedy wrote the opinion and Roberts, as Chief Justice, assented, will be a long term misshaper of the country's politics.) But I think he will be fair at the impeachment trial.
There is a piece in today's NYT which basically says that Roberts can call witnesses and it would take a 2/3 majority to overrule him. I want to believe this but I'm not sure if it's correct. So the Democratic House Managers can ask him to subpoena witnesses and he could rule to do so. It seems to me that if 'preside' - the word used in the Constitution - means anything he has that authority. So far he has done little, as far as I can tell, beyond calling on my senior senator to kick things off.

ETA - this of course is all the more important in the light of the revelations about Bolton's book.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

"The President has every right to have the person he wants serving as Ambassador"

Yep. They all 'serve at the president's pleasure.' However, this guy in the oval office now seems unable to fire anybody. He made his popular reputation by staging elaborate drama that culminated with his pronouncement "You're Fired!" Can anybody name ONE person he has fired as president.?
He never confronts them, he tweets, he talks on Faux News. This time he tells people who have no official connection with the federal governemt to remove the Ambassador. Why did he not least tell his Secretary of State to fire her--that would have been the chain of command.

POTUS needs those silicone testicles.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

andy--I didn't read the NYT article (I am not an electronic subscriber) so I will not comment on whetehr Roberts can choose to call witnesses, but my understanding is that the Senate can overrule any of Roberts"' rulings/orders by a simple majority vote--not 2/3.

wesw

Post by wesw »

y0u l0t may remember that I am n0 fan 0f cheney, b0lt0n , 0r any warm0ngering p0litician.

n0t clint0n, n0t biden, n0t bush, n0r Kerry.

I d0n t like dems and I d0n t like repubs.

I have been c0nsistent in my disdain f0r 0ur ruling class.

they reek 0f aristocracy, all 0f them.

and I hate me a c0mmie.

I am c0nsistent.

they are all cr00ked.

I am 0f the mind that 0ur rulers are n0t f the pe0ple.

theref0re they are n0t legit.

take fr0m that what y0u may.

t0 qu0te the great Aretha franklin.

y0u better think.

is trump w0rth the demise 0f this great experiment?

he is t0 me.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

So leaders who garnered a majority of the popular vote are not "of the people" while a guy who significantly lost the popular vote and only became president because of our undemocratic electoral college system is? And a guy who was raised in an affluent family and who shows disdain for the working people by screwing them through the bankruptcy laws and only paying pennies on the dollar to them is not part of the aristocracy? I just don't get your point.

Is he worth the "demise of this great experiment?" He isn't worth a bucket of warm piss.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

wesw wrote:I still can't point to a single solitary thing the defense said that even weakens, let alone refutes, the House managers' case.

-- Author unknown

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I have to say that I haven't been following the impeachment 'process' as much as I could have over the last few days. I don't think (didn't think) that things could get much lower or that I could change my opinions. The result seems like a foregone conclusion: like Djokovic being a set and a break up on Raonic and you really have better things to do with your time and you'll just check the score when you next get a chance.

I was listening to it on the radio yesterday on the way back from the gym and Pam Bondi came on to defend Trump. Where have I heard that name before? There was no commentary, just the sound from the Senate but it was bugging me. Nothing she said sounded at all new so I admit I tuned her out.

Pam Bondi was the Florida AG who got a $25,000 donation from Trump in 2013 just before she coincidentally decided not to join NYS in a lawsuit against Trump University - so Florida presumably missed out on a $25 million payday. Actually the donation was from the 'Trump Foundation' and so was, like most of the activities of that organization, against all charity and ethics rules. They paid a $2500 penalty.

Why is it that this level of corruption - let's see what we can get away with and pay the fines - which is so obvious to most of us seems to be ignored by so many? They don't even bother to hide it.

wesw

Post by wesw »

pam b0ndi was brilliant...

...and her 0utfit perfectly suited the st0ne in the backgr0und.

shades 0f grey.....

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Whether or not she was brilliant is a matter of opinion, wes. I didn't know about her outfit because it didn't show up on the radio. If I'd known I might have changed my opinion.

However, the $25,000 campaign contribution illegally made by the Trump Foundation - you know, his charity - just prior to her announcing that Fla would not join the Trump University lawsuit is not a matter of opinion - it's a fact. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Edited to correct a typo.
Last edited by ex-khobar Andy on Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

wesw wrote:And yet, I am still completely incapable of pointing to a single solitary thing the defense said that even weakens, let alone refutes, the House managers' case.

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

As someone said in a NYT comment: when you pin your hopes on Bolton and Romney to do the right thing, you know you've hit rock bottom.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I said something similar here, to LJ, too. At least about Bolton. Don't get me started on Mittens the flipper . . .
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

God @The Tweet of God