You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
ex-khobar Andy

Re: You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Trump of course couldn't contain himself after the Derby disqualification and sent a tweet blaming it on political correctness.

Idiotic enough; but there was a wonderful comment on the Slate story about the tweet:
P_HunkyKeen_Nelson

Well, after all, he is a stable genius.
I thought that comment deserved wider circulation.

RayThom

You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Post by RayThom »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:Trump of course couldn't contain himself after the Derby disqualification and sent a tweet blaming it on political correctness... Idiotic enough...
As the world's biggest horse's ass I think Lord Dampnut is more than qualified to make such al call.

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

So now Trump can add "centaur" to his list of accomplishments — a horse's ass with the body of a human (and if you check the mythology of what centaurs do to human females, you'll see he's got that part down pat too).  Honestly, even a third-grader could have come up with the metaphor that the cartoonist did, designating the POTUS as a horse's ass. Didn't anybody else see that coming?

Seriously, doesn't ANYBODY in this administration have any kind of control on the Psychopath-in-Chief?  Doesn't ANYBODY there have any kind of a filter or a leash on this guy?  I know Trump never thinks before posting, but isn't there SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE in the chain of command who can decide to quash something like that "P.C" tweet, realizing that letting it go out was tantamount to lighting a match in a gunpowder factory?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

True Biil, but that's what the core of his base loves, the more asinine he is, the more they cheer. I thought this behavior might drive some of his sane supporters away, but it doesn't seem like that's happening all that much--pretty sad.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I thought this behavior might drive some of his sane supporters away
It's the strong economy that's been keeping most of those folks on board...

Re his idiotic Derby comments...

I liked what I heard somebody on the tube say this morning:

"Gee, you'd think he'd be able to relate to a horse that came in second but still got declared the winner"...
ImageImageImage

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

LJ, I still don't think the economy is all that great, and even if it is I think that it was going to do whatever it did with or without Trump's help.  Sure he claims to have created more than a million jobs, but if most of those are Uber drivers or part-time workers in the so-called 'gig ecnomy', that hardly makes up for the full-time jobs — like those at Carrier, Harley-Davidson, and (most recently) the 1300 jobs that are going away what with Chrysler shutting down their Belvidere (IL) assembly plant, just to name a few — that have been lost or gone overseas.

Sure the economy looks good on the corporate bottom lines, and the stock market keeps rising — but fuck the stock market and the corporate tally books.  How about the bottom line that really matters?  I'm talking about the bottom line you get after you take your monthly income and subtract your monthly expenses.

Fifty-odd years ago my dad had a full-time, 40-hour-a-week job that allowed him to 1) buy a house (I think it was a 20-year mortgage); 2) raise a family; 3) put food — good food and enough of it — on the table; 4) and generally have some money left over at the end of the month to set aside for the proverbial 'rainy day' — all on a single working-man's paycheck (unlike today, where it is now almost mandatory that the wife must also be in the workforce, like it or not).  Now granted it was an older house (and once it was paid for we kept on living in it for another 30 years), and as a kid I never knew what "new-car smell" was, nor did we take high-buck vacations to places like Disneyland, cruises to the Caribbean, or jet off to Europe.  We lived WITHIN OUR INCOME, and still had an enjoyable life.

Now if Trump wants to truly Make America Great Again, then THAT'S the America he needs to be promoting ...
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

RayThom

You really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Post by RayThom »

Bicycle Bill wrote:...Now if Trump wants to truly Make America Great Again, then THAT'S the America he needs to be promoting ...
So who should be the single income "breadwinner"... the wife or the husband?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill

Re: You really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Post by Bicycle Bill »

RayThom wrote:
Bicycle Bill wrote:...Now if Trump wants to truly Make America Great Again, then THAT'S the America he needs to be promoting ...
So who should be the single income "breadwinner"... the wife or the husband?
Screw you, Ray ... I know better than to go down THAT rabbit hole!! :lol:
-"BB"-

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

We need a realignment of capitalism - probably involving UBI, higher living wages, and a much shorter workweek, allowing both parents to work AND spend a number of quality hours with family, community, and taking care of physical health and mental well being.

That’s the America we should all be working toward.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

TWO MORE YEARS!!! TWO MORE YEARS!!! TWO MORE YEARS!!!

At least that's Jerry Falwell Jr's thinking, according to a tweet of his.  
Donald Trump has appeared to claim he should receive an additional two years as president in “reparations” for the Mueller investigation.

The US president shared on Sunday a tweet by Jerry Falwell Jr, president of evangelical Christian university Liberty University and a prominent supporter of Mr Trump.

“After the best week ever for @realDonaldTrump - no obstruction, no collusion, NYT admits @BarackObama did spy on his campaign, & the economy is soaring,” Mr Falwell falsely claimed.

In fact there is no evidence to suggest former president Barack Obama had any role in probing the Trump campaign (emphasis mine), and special counsel Robert Mueller has provided multiple instances in which Mr Trump attempted to impede his investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

“I now support reparations,” Mr Falwell added in the tweet the president shared on his account.  “Trump should have 2 yrs added to his 1st term as pay back for time stolen by this corrupt failed coup.”
While Trump did not explicitly endorse the tweet, he DID re-tweet the message on his own account; and he is known for re-tweeting those messages with which he agrees.  He followed up the retweet with posts of his own bemoaning two years “stollen” (sic) by the special counsel’s probe, which was launched in May 2017 and concluded with Mr Mueller’s 448-page report, which was published last month.
('Stollen', by the way, is a traditonal German fruit bread of nuts, spices, and dried or candied fruit, coated with powdered sugar or icing sugar, primarily consumed during the Christmas season....   I bet it goes well with 'hamberders' and 'covfefe')
-"BB"-

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

That’s brilliant, Econo! :ok
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Sarah Sanders hopes people remember her as being 'transparent and honest'

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said on Tuesday that she hopes to be remembered as being “transparent and honest” when her tenure in the role comes to an end.

Sanders's remarks came while speaking at Politico’s "Women Rule" event on Tuesday with reporter Eliana Johnson about what she wanted her legacy to be.

“I hope that it will be that I showed up every day and I did the very best job that I could to put forward the president’s message,” as well as “to do the best job that I could to answer questions,” Sanders said.

“To be transparent and honest throughout that process and do everything I could to make America a little better that day than it was the day before,” she continued.

Sanders said earlier this year that it “bothers” her that people think she misleads the media.

Sanders told The New York Times in May that she tries to deliver the “best and most accurate information at the time that I can” and feels a responsibility to be truthful in her role as chief White House spokeswoman.

“One of the few things you have are your integrity and reputation,” Sanders, who was once fact-checked live by CNN during a press briefing, said in the interview.

“There’s a difference between misspeaking or not knowing something than maliciously lying," she added.
I can imagine other installments in this series:

Adolph Hitler: I hope the world remembers me as a lover of the Jewish people"

Osama bin Laden: I expect to be remembered as a man of peace.

Joseph Stalin: The world will remember me as a defender of democracy, personal liberty and freedom of conscience.

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Sarah Sanders hopes people remember her as being 'transparent and honest'
Okay, please tell me that she said that when she first started speaking, the intent being to open her speech with a joke...
ImageImageImage

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

The scary thing (OK there are a myriad of scary things going around) is that by her own lights she isn't lying. I think that she sincerely believes that she is telling the truth. Where can I get a job at $175K per year that depends on my being so monumentally thick that I can be told, and believe, and repeat, that black is white?

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I think that she sincerely believes that she is telling the truth.
I'm not willing to cut her that slack...

We know from the Mueller Report, that when the time came for Baghdad Sarah to repeat some of her lies under oath, (and risk jail time for perjury) she changed her tune...

That shows clear consciousness of guilt...
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

An author based out of Washington is now facing the prospect of losing her book deal after sparking an intense wave of anger Friday when she tweeted out a photo of a black Metro employee eating her breakfast.

“When you’re on your morning commute & see @wmata employee in UNIFORM eating on the train,” Natasha Tynes, who is also a World Bank employee, tweeted out at 9 a.m. on Friday. “I thought we were not allowed to eat on the train. This is unacceptable. Hope @wmata responds. When I asked the employee about this, her response was, ‘worry about yourself.”

Popular in News & Politics
A Georgia State Senator Explains the New Law That Would Imprison Women Who Get Abortions
Georgia Just Criminalized Abortion. Women Who Terminate Their Pregnancies Would Be Subject to Life in Prison.
Joe Biden Has Turned the Narrative Around the 2020 Democratic Primary Totally Upside Down
The Root Cause of Global Poverty Isn’t a Lack of Food or Education

The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority account, tagged in Tynes’ tweet, responded within an hour. “Good morning Natasha. Thank you for catching this and helping us to make sure all Metro employees are held accountable. Can you confirm the time you were on the train, the direction you were headed and what line you were on?”

Tynes replied with the time and location. “Thank you for responding,” she added. “Appreciate it.”

The anger on social media came immediately. “Eating while Black,” the University of New Hampshire professor Chanda Prescod-Weinstein commented. “That’s literally someone’s life. That’s their job you’re messing with.” The writer Roxane Gay replied to Tynes’ tweet, which has since been deleted. “We all complain on social media but you… don’t identify the person you’re complaining about, in a photo no less, and try to get them fired,” she wrote. “What on earth?” Others jumped in to warn Metro against taking action against the employee. Metro does ban smoking, drinking, and eating on the trains.

And still others went to the Goodreads page for Tynes’ upcoming novel, They Called Me Wyatt, to give it a one-star rating. “I didn’t actually read the book” one user wrote. “I just came here to let any potential buyers know that Natasha Tynes, the author, attempted to have a black woman fired from her job….” Another wrote, “worry about yourself snitch.”

Many accused Tynes of participating in the kind of racism that has compelled a number of people—mostly white—to report black people for napping, canvassing, babysitting, grilling, mowing, staying in an Airbnb, and hanging out in a Starbucks. Tynes, who is Jordanian-American and has described herself as a “minority writer,” has not addressed the race elements of the criticism, but by Friday afternoon she had tweeted out a short apology. “I apologize for a tweet I posted earlier today, which I have since deleted,” she wrote on Twitter. “I am truly sorry.”

Her critics on Twitter were not appeased. “Natasha, what you did was so horrible you need to explain why you did it in paragraphs/pages,” the journalist Yashar Ali wrote. “Not bullet points and certainly not a tweet.”

The writer Nichole Perkins also suggested Tynes’ apology didn’t suggest she understood why people were upset. “Do you understand that you wanted her disciplined for not catering to your demands?” she wrote. “Some WOC solidarity you got there.”

Rare Birds Books, the publishing house that was set to distribute Tynes’s upcoming novel, announced by the evening that it had decided not to do so after all. “Black women face a constant barrage of this kind of inappropriate behavior directed toward them and a constant policing of their bodies,” the company wrote in a statement. “We think this is unacceptable and have no desire to be involved with anyone who thinks it’s acceptable to jeopardize a person’s safety and employment in this way. We are currently taking appropriate actions to cancel Ms. Tynes’ novel They Call Me Wyatt, within our distribution network, and are strongly urging Tynes’ publisher, California Coldblood, to consider other appropriate actions.”

California Coldblood also said in a statement it was aware of the incident. “We do not condone her actions and hope Natasha learns from this experience that black women feel the effects of systemic racism the most and that we all have to be allies, not oppressors,” the company said in a statement. “As for the book’s publication, we are working with our distributor to take appropriate next steps.”

It remains unclear if the employee in the photo has faced any disciplinary actions from Metro
Is it just me, or is this ludicrous?!

Metro bans smoking, drinking and eating on the train. Metro employee IN UNIFORM is eating on the train in view of passengers who are held to that standard and in some cases cited by Metro police for violating it.

What am I missing here?
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Absolutely nothing. The people attacking her are a bunch of entitled nutcases.

-- Author unknown