You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
ex-khobar Andy

Re: You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Apparently the judge in the Trump case gave $35 to Democrats in the 2020 elections - $15 to the Biden campaign and $10 each to two liberal-ish groups.

And of course Republicans are up in arms because that $35 is evidence that he cannot be impartial and he should be replaced.

Meanwhile Clarence Thomas has taken major vacations with his dearest friend Harlan Crow, one of which - a boat trip to Indonesia - would have cost him $500,000 had he booked it like the rest of us. Apparently they have been besties since they were little chaps running around the playground during recess at play school Thomas became a SCOTUS, but of course this would never impact his judicial activities.

You can't make this up.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:58 pm
a boat trip to Indonesia - would have cost him $500,000 had he booked it like the rest of us.
Not just a "boat trip": it was nine days of island-hopping in Indonesia on a 162-ft. superyacht.

And to get there and back the Thomases flew ~10,000 mi.* each way on Crow’s private (~$50,000,000) Bombardier Global 5000 bizjet.

Which Thomas and his wife have apparently used for their personal travel many other times over the years.

:arg :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

* (which is way beyond the [~5900-mi.] range of the Global 5000, so presumably there were stopovers in Hawai'i?)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Can we go back to the abortion post Rob v Wade situation? I really do not understand how a single federal judge in Texas can stop the sale and prescription of a drug for the whole nation. Particularly when this 'chemical aborition' has a 20 year track record of legal use.

snailgate.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I blame Abraham Lincoln. Couldn't have happened before 1865
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

BP--I doubt he can; once the appeal is heard I'll bet he is reversed (based on any of a number of reasons). I'd be shocked if it isn't stayed pending the completion of the appeal, but the courts have sprprised me at time.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Clarence Thomas has a new book coming out:

Uncle Tom’s Guide to Indonesia

Okay, I made that shit up.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Congressman Ritchie Torres has caught Jim Jordan in a major lie and has called him out. The House Judiciary is hard at work trying to INTIMIDATE Alvin Bragg over his investigation of Donald Trump. In a tweet, the Committee posted a video of New York City councilman Robert Holden saying he’s never seen “crime this bad” in the 71 years he’s lived in New York City.

The House Judiciary describes Holden as a Democrat. Only one problem: He’s a Republican.

“Fact Check,” Torres wrote. “Robert Holden won as a Republican in the 2017 General Election.” Also, he added, “New York City had 2000 more murders in 1993 than in 2022.”

“Nice try Jim Jordan,” Torres said.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I am severely factually challenged by several of the current hot political issues. I am not skilled at internet searches to sort through sources and do my own fact checking, particularly on the actual impact of proposed legislation at the state level and court holdings below the Supremes.

For example, I have heard and read in the NY Times and other mainstream news media that the rulings by different federal lower court judges will prohibit or restrict in varied ways, sending a particular Rx drug to individuals by mail. So what exactly does 'mail' mean? Is 'mail' a generic term, or does it mean specifically transport by the public corporation called 'the United States Postal Service'? Do these lower court rulings have an impact of transport of Misoprostal via FedEx, UPS, private messenger services or even Uber? What is the fundamental difference between a package liquor store sending a bottle of whiskey to a private home via taxi and a Doctor sending a prescription drug to a patient at home the same way? Specially when the bottle contains enough ethanol to be a fatal dose by ethanol poisoning if chugged straight down?

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Elon Musk compares George Soros to a Marvel universe arch villain. Elon Musk. :loon

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... orge-soros
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Musk is the main reason I will never drive a Tesla; and if it loses him any money--even a tiny be--that is truly intentional. The man is an arrogant asshole.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

And they say that irony is dead.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

I didn't really know much of anything about Elon Musk until his purchase of Twitter last year, and as much of a shit-show as the deal itself was, his chaotic stewardship of the operation since has been an absolute debacle. If I were being charitable, I'd say his tweets have shown him to be juvenile, unthinking, ill-equipped for leadership and wholly oblivious to the role and effect of social media; he's the poster child for Dunning-Kruger Syndrome. My alternative take would be that he knows exactly what he's doing and is purposely facilitating disinformation and mainstreaming authoritarians, racists, fascists and Nazis.
GAH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I would have to say it’s the latter, Sue. He claims that Soros wants to destroy the fabric of society, that he hates humanity. There is not one shred of doubt in my mind that Musk is deeply antisemitic, and people who are deeply antisemitic are almost universally pro Nazi as well whether admittedly or not. Musk’s actions in managing Twitter reveal that he does intend the consequences, whatever else he says. History will reveal the arch villainy of Elon Musk.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Musk is a rat

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... nt-records

So now DeSantis is importing violent cops to police Florida.

I guess it’s not really that important to me to see the Keys before I die.

The more I see of DeSantis the more he unsettles me.

This election cycle is going to suck hard.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Yes I saw that Guardian story and came here to make the same point.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Remember the former staffer who accused Biden of sexual assault? She's defected to Mother Russia. https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/31/politics ... index.html
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

This evening I got an appeal for money from a political organization. I get several of these every day. I give nothing. I am convinced that what I can give, would go directly to pay professional money raisers, They spend more to ask me for money than I will ever give. However, this appeal included this:

" A Florida school has banned "The Hill We Climb," the moving poem that Amanda Gorman recited at President Joe Biden's inauguration, saying it would now be off-limits to young readers after one parent claimed the poem was "indoctrinating" students."

I am one of those old guys who hangs out at the American Legion hall complaining about how it used to be better, back in the day when I could remember where my car keys are and did not wear a diaper. Every American Legion meeting I have attended included a joint recitation of the preamble to the constitution of the American Legion. That preamble includes a statement something like "we resist both the tyranny of the masses and the tyranny of the classes." Now DeSnatis desires to share beyond Florida this system he has constructed that is a tyranny of the minority. One objection is enough to change the school ciriculum. Sure wish I could have convinced my parents to object to books indoctrinating me that some combinations of numbers should result in one and only answer.

snailgate.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Just to clarify a misconception here, the book is not 'banned', per se.  It has just been reclassified in that school's library as — I suppose I would use the term 'age-inappropriate' — for younger readers, such as those in grades 4 or under, and for all I know placed in a sort of 'restricted section', sort of like the way video rental places used to have a back room for their inventory of XXX titles.  My understanding is that it is still available to readers in the upper grades upon request.

However, even a restriction is, in my opinion, bad policy, and I do agree with you, BP, that one hot-head's complaint should not be enough to warrant taking even this action.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Lauren Boebert's Theater Date Hosted a Drag Show at His Bar

Lauren Boebert was kicked out of the Beetlejuice Musical in Denver for reportedly vaping, being loud, and recording during the show. Many wondered who was Boebert's date who held her purse and held her hand as she twirled outside during their walk away from the theater.

The individual is reportedly Quinn Gallagher, co-owner of Hooch Craft Cocktail Bar in Aspen, Colorado and they reportedly have been dating for months.

Gallagher, whose family is from Rifle, Colorado, is dating Boebert, which may have some questioning his tastes. During a 2022 interview, Gallagher said the best burger in the valley was at McDonald's, which along with an orange Gatorade was his go-to hangover cure. There is no way that McDonald's is the best burger in the area. Questionable judgment confirmed.

Boebert is known for her antics and generating negative headlines about herself. The Colorado representative barely squeaked by in her re-election bid by 546 votes.

In January, Hooch hosted "A Winter Wonderland Burlesque and Drag Show" sponsored by Aspen Distillers and Aspen Vodka.

Dances and other performances were captured by those in attendance.

Boebert's Republican Party has demonized drag shows as part of their culture war distraction campaign, and Boebert herself has specifically threw shade at "drag bars." Now Boebert is dating someone who hosted a drag show at his bar.

Aspen Gay Ski Week has also used Hooch Craft Cocktail Bar to host an event in the past. Republicans are still using divisive politics to marginalize LGBTQ individuals.

Gallagher risks losing a good size chunk of his customer base. Boebert lost Pitkin Country, home of Aspen, 79.2% to 20.7%. Lauren Boebert isn't very popular out there in Aspen.

Earlier this year, Lauren Boebert complained about the people moving to Aspen and other resort towns and claimed they don't want freedom.

For Republicans, it's ok for them to date folks who host drag shows at their bar, or dress up in drag themselves as in the case of George Santos, but publicly their party attacks drag performers. Republicans do next to nothing to redirect their followers from spreading hateful rhetoric and threats towards drag performers.

In case you missed it, the full 4 minutes of Lauren Boebert being kicked out of the Beetlejuice Musical can be seen below. Our coverage on the video can be found here.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown