You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Burning Petard wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:38 pm
If I were a parent of a student at this school, I would think very carefully about the quality of the education I was buying here.

snailgate
With a statement like this —
The Centner Academy opened in 2019 for students in prekindergarten through eighth grade, promoting itself as a “happiness school” focused on children’s mindfulness and emotional intelligence.
— and then seeing their "Our Leaders" page – https://centneracademy.com/our-leaders — something tells me that the parents of their 'students' aren't thinking carefully about much of anything at all.

This is just a right-wing version of the "fuck the establishment" mindset of the hippies and yippies of the 1960s.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

We've long since reached the point where “vaccine skeptic" is just a fancy term for “selfish asshole."
(Credit: Stephen Robinson at Wonkette)

(ETA: "selfish" might even sometimes be an unnecessary extra word.)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Anti-Maskers Ready to Start Masking—To Protect Themselves From the Vaccinated

A conspiracy ripping through the anti-vax world may finally drive some anti-maskers to do the unthinkable—wear a mask and keep their distance.

The conspiracy—which comes in several shapes and sizes—more or less says the vaccinated will “shed” certain proteins onto the unvaccinated who will then suffer adverse effects. The main worry is the “shedding” will cause irregular menstruation, infertility, and miscarriages. The entirely baseless idea is a key cog in a larger conspiracy that COVID-19 was a ploy to depopulate the world, and the vaccine is what will cull the masses.

Experts say the conspiracy is born from a fundamental misunderstanding of how vaccines work. It has been widely debunked and you can read about it here, here, and here, among other places.

Anti-vax influencers are instructing their fellow anti-vaxxers as well as anti-maskers (at this point the two communities overlap to a huge degree) that one of the best ways to defend themselves from this blight is to co-opt…social distancing, the very strategy they have long decried.

Sherri Tenpenny, an anti-vaxxer who was found to be key in spreading COVID-19 conspiracy theories, suggested on a recent anti-vax livestream that you may have to “stay away from somebody who's had these shots…forever.”

Another prominent anti-vaxxer suggested quarantining people who have been vaccinated. “There is something being passed from people who are shot up with this poison to others who have not gotten the shot,” said Larry Palevsky, a New York pediatrician and anti-vaxxer, on a separate livestream. They should also “have a badge on their arms that say ‘I've been vaccinated even though it's not a vaccine’ so that we know to avoid them on the street, to not go near them anywhere in society,” he said.

It’s not just social distancing anti-maskers/anti-vaxxers are begrudgingly accepting. Some conspiracy theorists are wondering if perhaps their longtime bane, the mask, could become their salvation. One perplexed poster on the fringe site 4chan asked their fellow anons if they should “wear a mask around the vaccinated, because they shed the mRNA stuff?”

“I am going to be watching these vaccine shedding stories like a hawk,” wrote another man on Twitter. “Is my family going to need to wear masks to protect ourselves from the vaccinated?”

While the conspiracy is baseless, the fear it is causing vaccine skeptics is very much real. And where there is a fear, there is money to be made.

In a recent livestream appearance with a Canadian sovereign citizen, Judy Mikovits—one of the leading anti-vax celebrities and the key figure in the conspiracy film Plandemic—spoke in-depth about the conspiracy. Mikovits told a story about how she was kicked off a plane for wearing a colloidal silver mask—colloidal silver being a supplement long championed by the anti-vax and holistic crowd—to defend herself from airborne viruses.

“Why do you think they pulled me off the plane with the silver mask?” said Mikovits. “Because I'm not going to get sick, folks. I'm not going to get sick.”

The implication is these are the only masks that will work for not just viruses like COVID-19 but also the shedding. Thankfully, the masks are available from online holistic stores, of course.

Drew, an anti-fascist researcher who first tweeted about Mikovits’ about face on mask, told VICE World News he doesn’t think the masks will catch on among the anti-maskers.

"Rhetoric over the past year like ‘my body, my choice,’ ‘facts over fear,’ ‘take off the muzzle’ are going to look silly if they do (wear masks),” said Drew, who didn’t want his last name to be used out of fear of reprisals.

Nevertheless, the conspiracy is picking up steam. Recently a private school in Miami, Florida, even went so far as to ban vaccinated teachers from interacting with unvaccinated students. In April, a Gold Shop in Kelowna, British Columbia, caused a stir after the owners put up a sign saying the vaccinated were banned from entering the store, citing worries about vaccine shedding. The store also had a sign that masking was not allowed and instructed customers to “lower their face diaper.”

The community is still attempting to figure out how to deal with “vaccine shedding” so, to be clear, not every anti-masker is endorsing masking.

“The mask won't save people from this, either. So if you're thinking you're just going to walk around with a mask on around your vaccinated friends and family members, it's the same as walking around with one for COVID,” said a woman during a YouTube roundup for anti-vaxxers who purported to be Canadian nurses. “It's going right through.”

Natural News, an anti-vaccination conspiracy site that was banned from Facebook for spreading misinformation, is reporting hard on the shedding. In one article, a blogger wrote, “a mask is useless to protect against spike protein transmission.”

The website instead advises that the only thing that may save them is a “pine needle tea.”
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

:lol: Stealing that!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

When did Fox News begin writing slogans for Planned Parenthood?

I know, I know, they aren't talking about reproductive rights, but the irony was just too good to pass up.

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

:ok

They'll have to go back to "it's a virus, not a choice"

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Yes, and I suspect they vote.

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:10 pm
Yes, and I suspect they vote.
Even worse, I suspect they smoke.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I think this proves there's too much stupidity and craziness in Texas for one state to hold, and it's starting to ooze north into Oklahoma.

And while I agree with him re: PeTA's vegan agenda, just whatthefuck does Biden have to do with it?  PeTA's been a bunch of nutjobs ever since they were founded back in 1980, when Saint Ronald was President.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Chick-fil-A has a sauce shortage? Oh, the humanity!

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Fascinating. In the post from Scooter, quoting an announcement from the Oklahoma governor, I cold not find a single fact that was not an unfalsifiable generality;

When in the last 75 years has there been a day when there were no gas stations in America that had a sign out front that said something like "Pumps Closed. No Gas". I know there was one in Michigan on Memorial Day weekend in 1971 that had such a sign out front because I was the operator of a Total station with three 1200 gallon tanks underground. I had miss-estimated how much I would sell and ran out. The recent shortages due to the pipeline shut down had everything to do with the policies of DJ Trump--the Prexy response to Russian hacking was zilch. That certainly encouraged hackers to do it even more. Because of the holiday, I could not get a delivery. I did have diesel, but my main market for diesel was trucks coming in from Canada and they were not running on the holiday either.

snailgate

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Kissing chickens.jpg
God @The Tweet of God

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

“Central Park Karen” Amy Cooper Is Suing Her Ex-Employer For Racial Discrimination

A white woman who became nationally known as “Central Park Karen” after she was captured on video harassing a Black birdwatcher is suing the company that fired her over the incident for racial discrimination.

Amy Cooper filed a lawsuit against her former employer, financial services firm Franklin Templeton, on Tuesday, alleging that the company discriminated against her because of her race and did not investigate the incident before firing her, according to multiple reports. The lawsuit claims the company gave credence to people “who sought the destruction” of Cooper’s life.

The suit maintains Cooper wasn't acting out of racism, but rather, because she was “frightened to death” during the incident. Cooper contends that Franklin Templeton “perpetuated and legitimized the story of ‘Karen’ vs. an innocent African American to its perceived advantage.”

Cooper claimed the company “had not performed an investigation” but “published statements that they had,” per CNN. The lawsuit also claimed Franklin Templeton “concluded indisputably” that Cooper was racist without an investigation and called that decision “extreme and outrageous.”

In May 2020, Cooper was caught on camera aggressively confronting birder Christian Cooper (no relation) in Manhattan’s Central Park. Christian Cooper had asked Amy Cooper to leash her dog in compliance with the park’s rules. After Christian Cooper asked Amy Cooper not to come close to him during their encounter, she called the police and falsely told the 911 operator that “an African American man” was “threatening” her.

Christian’s sister posted the video of the incident on Twitter, which has been viewed more than 45 million times. Cooper was charged with filing a false police report, though the prosecutor dropped the charges earlier this year after she participated in “restorative justice” counseling.

The day after the video went viral, Cooper’s ex-employer tweeted that “following an internal review” she would be terminated. “We do not tolerate racism of any kind at Franklin Templeton,” the tweet read.

A spokesperson for Franklin Templeton told multiple outlets on Wednesday that the company stands by its decision: “We believe the circumstances of the situation speak for themselves and that the company responded appropriately.”

The video of Amy Cooper harassing Christian Cooper, who is an avid birder and writer in New York, happened the same day George Floyd was murdered by a white police officer in Minneapolis, sparking a racial reckoning across the U.S. Amy Cooper has since publicly apologized to Christian Cooper in a statement saying she “reacted emotionally and made false assumptions about his intentions.”

Christian Cooper, a former Marvel Comic editor, later published a graphic novel for DC Comics partially inspired by the incident. The comic book was part of a larger series that includes stories from underrepresented writers.

“There are certain dark societal impulses that she, as a white woman facing in a conflict with a Black man, that she thought she could marshal to her advantage,” Cooper told The New York Times last summer.

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

People are already reselling their McDonald's BTS Meal wrappers online

The BTS Meal from McDonald's has, just like previous collaborations between the fast food giant and seemingly random celebrities, become a highly coveted commodity reserved only for those lucky enough to live in one of the cities carrying the limited edition spread — and yes, Toronto is one of those places.

Given the fact that K-pop septet BTS is the most popular band in the world right now, the meal — which is really just a standard 10-piece nugget meal that comes with specialty sauces and different packaging — is highly buzzed about as fans worldwide wait for it to hit their hometowns.

As of May 26, the $13 CAD (on Ubereats) meal has been available in ten countries including Canada and the U.S., with plans for a rollout in dozens more over May and June.

And, of course, people are already listing their wrappers and dips from the meal for sale online, as the purple branding and the cajun and sweet chili condiments are really the only things that make it remotely exceptional.

For a cool $50 on eBay.ca, you can get a lovely grease-stained McDonald's bag bearing the lavender BTS logo next to the signature golden arches, along with the limited-edition cup and nugget box (all disposable, obviously) and, perhaps the only useful items in the lot, the two sauces that come with the meal, still unopened.

(This listing is obviously from Canada, as the bag comes complete with the words "THE BTS MEAL LE REPAS BTS" underneath.)

For $30 more, you can get not just the standard two sauces, but FOUR total — a pair of each rare flavour.

There are also countless listings for individual components of the meal — or, rather, what the meal comes in — such as the brown paper bag or nugget box, all for various prices, all of them ridiculous given that buyers are paying for literal garbage.

But, the BTS fandom or "Army," as they're called, is absolutely massive, extremely organized and also hugely influential, so the resales within a day of the special collab becoming available do make some sense.

Also up for grabs are a few BTS + McDonald's crew shirts printed on standard Gildan black tees, presumably given to staff.

As part of the whole promotion, there will also be some "never-before-seen digital surprises each week featuring the band" available through the McDonald's app at some point, the company says, as well as the release of special merchandise that is somehow inspired by the McNugget meal.

The partnership follows massively successful ones between McDonald's and artists like J Balvin and Travis Scott last fall.
What's next, a celebrity puts their name on a pack of gum, and idiots buy wads of it after it has been chewed to death and put up for sale online?

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Scooter wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:45 am
What's next, a celebrity puts their name on a pack of gum, and idiots buy wads of it after it has been chewed to death and put up for sale online?
It's already been done....
Britney Spears' Spent Gum For Sale

As well as anything else remotely linked to a celeb (preferably a dead one, but not always), including but not necessarily limited to used underwear, extracted teeth, second-hand furniture, and exhaled air (???) ....
Chewed gum, underwear, breath: Weird celebrities' items sold at auctions
-"BB"-

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I have a scarf that my mother pulled from Elvis Presley's neck when he was on stage at Sahara Tahoe in the early 70s. He leaned over and kissed her and she snatched it and then he gave her a big Elvis grin. There must be Elvis DNA on that scarf. I wonder how much I could sell it for. I'm thinking about putting it on Ebay with a starting bid of 20 trillion dollars. Does that sound like a fair price?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Oh FUCK NO.

WTF is wrong with people? Sure, refusing a free vaccine thst would protect you, your family, your co-workers, your community and the country from a deadly virus is EXACTLY the same as the Holocaust.
GAH!