You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
ex-khobar Andy

Re: You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

And of course Mr and Mrs Trump were vaccinated in January with no fanfare. Must have been about the only thing he did in the last four years where there was no photographer.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/13 ... 6164507648 (Maggie Haberman (NYT) Twitter account.)

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Asshat from Confederate traitor state crowing about the benefits of the COVID bill that he and EVERY OTHER Republican voted against.

Takes an immeasurable amount of gall.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

rubato

Post by rubato »

Scooter wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:14 pm
More hilarity at CPAC, could they not have found a neo-Nazi who could carry a tune?

How many keys did she drift into and out of during that cringe-inducing performance. If she has friends and they genuinely care about her they should, with one voice, tell her to never do that again. Painful.

yrs,
rubato

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

(Sorry if someone has already posted this and I missed it.)

Ted Cruz is signing copies of 'Green Eggs and Ham' and selling them online at $60 a pop. This will be a 'cancel culture collectible.'

Last I checked Mr Cruz did not write this book. And does Mr Cruz, the long time promoter of personal responsibility and freedom (yes, yes, I'm being sardonic) really believe that publishers do NOT have the right to decide what they should publish?

GEaH is not, of course, one of the books which Random House decided to remove from their offerings list.

You can read all about it on Huff Post.

PS I'm wondering if I can get him to sign one of the really offensive books for me. Would that be worth $60 to the Cruz re-election fund? One small part of me says yes it would. I'll think about it. I may have to lie down.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I do have McElligots pond which is one of them on the list and I don’t quite get why.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Re the above. There was an earlier version of this thread in which LJ (RIP) posted a note about Melania's donation of books to a school library and the librarian's rejection of same because of racist imagery in Seuss's books.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18193&p=243744&hilit=seuss#p243744

Nihil nole sub sole.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

There are 3 places/peoples mentioned on McEllogots pool with accompanying illustrations. None of them are particularly racist. If you’re stretching you could take offense to the outdated Eskimo name with a depiction of an igloo. If you want to take a really dirty read of the image depicted as “tropics” you could possibly take offense at the guy napping against a tree as some sort of “lazy Mexican” type trope but it is missing so many of the other common pointers of that particular imagery that it really is a stretch. And the last one is Tibet where the characters features are pretty much non-descript outside of a rather bushy Seussian mustache.

While I have seen some problematic depictions by Seuss I don’t see them in that particular book. While the Eskimo and igloo thing may be dated i wouldn’t call it offensive.

Nor do I find any issue with the decision to stop publishing a book should they want to. I just find the reasoning a little questionable. (Would any of this made the slightest blip if the decision to stop publishing these books wasn’t announced?)

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Nor do I find any issue with the decision to stop publishing a book should they want to. I just find the reasoning a little questionable. (Would any of this made the slightest blip if the decision to stop publishing these books wasn’t announced?)
I agree; the only entity which has any reason to complain is the estate of the good doctor, depending on what sort of contractual arrangement he had with the publisher.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

They aren't even putting up the pretense of trying to disguise their racism anymore.
GOP senator: If insurrectionists had been Black instead of MAGA I would have been 'concerned'

Embattled U.S. Senator Ron Johnson (R-WI), a top Trump supporter, admitted that he felt safe during the January 6 insurrection because he trusted the MAGA crowd, thousands of whom were breaking not only the law but government property and causing physical harm.

But he also admits that if those rioters had been Black Lives Matter protestors he would not have felt safe – he would he felt "concerned."

His remarks are causing anger and accusations of racism.

"I've made the comment that on January 6 I never felt threatened," Johnson said on the conservative Joe Pags radio talk show. "Because I didn't," he stressed, meaning that he did not feel threatened.

"And mainly because I knew that even though those thousands of people there, they were marching the Capitol, were trying to pressure people like me to vote the way they wanted me to vote, I knew those are people that love this country that truly respect law enforcement would never do anything to break a law. And so I wasn't concerned."

Practically every person who stormed the Capitol was breaking the law. A police officer was killed, over 100 others were injured, some severely, including one whose eye was gouged out. And today the Dept. of Justice announced it plans to indict another 100 of the insurrectionists.

"Now had the tables been turned – Joe, this could get me in trouble – had the tables been turned, and President Trump won the election and those were tens of thousands of Black Lives Matter and Antifa protesters. I might have been a little concerned."

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Mitch McConnell, 2014: “Every corporation in America should be free to participate in the political process, not just the ones that own newspapers and television stations.”

Mitch McConnell, yesterday, in response to corporate objections to GA voter laws: “My advice to the corporate CEOs of America is to stay out of politics.”

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Mitch is inconsistent in his positions? Now, I've seen it all. :o

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

no he’s very consistent he’s an opportunist. He’ll support anything as long as it aligns with his goals at the moment.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

no he’s very consistent he’s an opportunist. He’ll support anything as long as it aligns with his goals at the moment.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Mitch an opportunist? :o What's next; calling Trump a liar? :lol:

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"I think it's the role of the president of the United States to stay back, to not inflame the tensions," said Kayleigh McEnany.

Uh, remind me again whom you worked for?

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Scooter wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:51 pm
"I think it's the role of the president of the United States to stay back, to not inflame the tensions," said Kayleigh McEnany.

Uh, remind me again whom you worked for?
Either they think we're totally stupid or that we have no memory beyond the last few days. Mind you, they are right about a very significant portion of the population.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:02 pm
Either they think we're totally stupid or that we have no memory beyond the last few days. Mind you, they are right about a very significant portion of the population.
Most people will believe what they want to believe, regardless of its obvious falsity, if the belief is validated by others -- and especially others in positions of social, political or moral authority. What makes me the most pessimistic is that people in those positions of authority who actually do know better are so shamelessly hypocritical and so willing to validate sheer stupidity if it provides access to power.
GAH!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

A private school in Miami, citing false claims, bars vaccinated teachers from contact with students.

A private school in the fashionable Design District of Miami sent its faculty and staff a letter last week about getting vaccinated against Covid-19. But unlike institutions that have encouraged and even facilitated vaccination for teachers, the school, Centner Academy, did the opposite: One of its co-founders, Leila Centner, informed employees “with a very heavy heart” that if they chose to get a shot, they would have to stay away from students.

In an example of how misinformation threatens the nation’s effort to vaccinate enough Americans to get the coronavirus under control, Ms. Centner, who has frequently shared anti-vaccine posts on Facebook, claimed in the letter that “reports have surfaced recently of non-vaccinated people being negatively impacted by interacting with people who have been vaccinated.”

“Even among our own population, we have at least three women with menstrual cycles impacted after having spent time with a vaccinated person,” she wrote, repeating a false claim that vaccinated people can somehow pass the vaccine to others and thereby affect their reproductive systems. (They can do neither.)

In the letter, Ms. Centner gave employees three options:

Inform the school if they had already been vaccinated, so they could be kept physically distanced from students;

Let the school know if they get the vaccine before the end of the school year, “as we cannot allow recently vaccinated people to be near our students until more information is known”;

Wait until the school year is over to get vaccinated.

Teachers who get the vaccine over the summer will not be allowed to return, the letter said, until clinical trials on the vaccine are completed, and then only “if a position is still available at that time” — effectively making teachers’ employment contingent on avoiding the vaccine.

Ms. Centner required the faculty and staff to fill out a “confidential” form revealing whether they had received a vaccine — and if so, which one and how many doses — or planned to get vaccinated. The form requires employees to “acknowledge the School will take legal measures needed to protect the students if it is determined that I have not answered these questions accurately.”

Ms. Centner directed questions about the matter to her publicist, who said in a statement that the school’s top priority throughout the pandemic has been to keep students safe. The statement repeated false claims that vaccinated people “may be transmitting something from their bodies” leading to adverse reproductive issues among women.

“We are not 100 percent sure the Covid injections are safe and there are too many unknown variables for us to feel comfortable at this current time,” the statement said.

The Food and Drug Administration, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the World Health Organization and many other authorities have concluded that the coronavirus vaccines now in emergency use in the United States are safe and effective.

The Centner Academy opened in 2019 for students in prekindergarten through eighth grade, promoting itself as a “happiness school” focused on children’s mindfulness and emotional intelligence. The school prominently advertises on its website support for “medical freedom from mandated vaccines.”

Ms. Centner founded the school with her husband, David Centner, a technology and electronic highway tolling entrepreneur. Each has donated heavily to the Republican Party and the Trump re-election campaign, while giving much smaller sums to local Democrats.

In February, the Centners welcomed a special guest to speak to students: Robert F. Kennedy Jr., the prominent antivaccine activist. (Mr. Kennedy was suspended from Instagram a few days later for promoting Covid-19 vaccine misinformation.) This month, the school hosted a Zoom talk with Dr. Lawrence Palevsky, a New York pediatrician frequently cited by anti-vaccination activists.

-- Author unknown

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

If I were a parent of a student at this school, I would think very carefully about the quality of the education I was buying here. If I were an employee, and I REALLY needed the job, I would lie on the 'confidential' report the school was requiring. I think according to the HIPAA rules, If any one told the school I was vaccinated, they would be in violation of those rules. I think the legal steps the school threatens to take if an employee lies, is an empty threat.

Do they only employ believers in Christian Science, which has a theological rejection of any vaccination?

snailgate