You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

Re: You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Post by Scooter »

Franklin Graham: “Rise Up” Against Gay Cartoon Rats!

“Do your children or grandchildren watch the cartoon ‘Arthur’? I hope not. This PBS animated series is promoting the LGBTQ agenda. In a new episode, Arthur’s male third grade teacher gets married – to another male character. During the wedding, one of the students exclaims, ‘It’s a brand new world!’ I’ll say – but not for the better.

“PBS receives government funding – why should our government be financing programming that promotes behavior the Bible says is sinful? I sure don’t want my tax dollars going toward that. I think many viewers may be surprised and disappointed in this content decision.

“I hope everyone will rise up and clearly tell PBS that they do not want to see this kind of programming slipped in to try to influence the hearts and minds of our children and grandchildren.” – Franklin Graham, posting to his Facebook page.
It seems to me that someone spends an unhealthy amount of time obsessing about gay sex between animals.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

This afternoon I finally got around to watching last year’s Won’t You Be My Neighbor, the biography documentary of Fred Rogers that was the biggest (in ticket sales) documentary ever released.

I cried for much of it; oh how awfully the world has changed.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

That film was much better than I thought it would be, and I came away with a new respect for Fred Rogers.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Scooter wrote:
Franklin Graham: “Rise Up” Against Gay Cartoon Rats!

“Do your children or grandchildren watch the cartoon ‘Arthur’? I hope not. This PBS animated series is promoting the LGBTQ agenda. In a new episode, Arthur’s male third grade teacher gets married – to another male character. During the wedding, one of the students exclaims, ‘It’s a brand new world!’ I’ll say – but not for the better.

“PBS receives government funding – why should our government be financing programming that promotes behavior the Bible says is sinful? I sure don’t want my tax dollars going toward that. I think many viewers may be surprised and disappointed in this content decision.

“I hope everyone will rise up and clearly tell PBS that they do not want to see this kind of programming slipped in to try to influence the hearts and minds of our children and grandchildren.” – Franklin Graham, posting to his Facebook page.
It seems to me that someone spends an unhealthy amount of time obsessing about gay sex between animals.
Interesting that he would point out that it's "government funded" but then complain that it's not pushing his religious right agenda. I liked Billy Graham a lot. His son is a complete wacko.

rubato

Post by rubato »

Fred Rogers was a quiet genius and one of the most extraordinary figures of the half-century. Ii didn't see the show when It was airing bur I saw an earlier documentary about him and then this latest one and I came away staggered by the depth of his insight and the crystalline sincerity of his motives. He was good because it mattered to him and he expressed love for the people around him simply and without exaggeration. If we really want the world to come to be better we will treat children the way he teaches us to.

He personally answered every letter sent to him.

yrs,
rubato

RayThom

You really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Post by RayThom »

Fred Rogers is maybe the best person to ever live. He educated countless children and brought joy to so many people's homes. And not only that, he was an activist and an advocate for children from all backgrounds.
I only saw MRN in bits and pieces. I never saw one show from start to finish. I was not his target audience.

For most of the time he was on TV I always had a feeling that he was a nascent pedophile who, if only due to his popularity, restrained his sexual urges, never letting his darkness manifest itself.

It wasn't until much later that I, too, saw a couple of documentaries about Fred and I came to realize how wrong I was. He apparently was much more genuine, with generations of children-- now adults -- who credit him for teaching them civility, grace, kindness, tolerance, and forgiveness. And in today's climate -- attributes that way too many of adults never quite learned how to cultivate.

Sadly, Fred had to die before I fully understood his genius and altruism. And for that I am truly sorry for prejudging him for so long.

RIP, Mr. Rogers, you did good.

There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Trump’s pick for ICE director: I can tell which migrant children will become gang members by looking into their eyes

Mark Morgan, the White House choice to lead Immigration and Customs Enforcement, said during a Fox News interview earlier this year that he can judge the likelihood that an unaccompanied minor will become a gang member by looking into that child's eyes.

“I’ve been to detention facilities where I’ve walked up to these individuals that are so-called minors, 17 or under,” Morgan said on “Tucker Carlson Tonight” in January. “I’ve looked at them and I’ve looked at their eyes, Tucker — and I’ve said that is a soon-to-be MS-13 gang member. It’s unequivocal.”

The comment surfaced Thursday as part of a broader review of his Morgan's public utterances by HuffPost. The outlet found Morgan notched nearly 100 television and radio appearances after a series of interviews with Tucker Carlson.

The view that unaccompanied minors are more likely to become criminals is unsupported by statistical evidence. Studies have shown immigrants — legal and undocumented — are less likely to commit crimes than native-born Americans.

-- Author unknown

RayThom

You really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Post by RayThom »

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Watch for him to also claim to be able to tell desirables from undesirables using phrenology.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

I saw this in a movie

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Trump’s pick for ICE director: I can tell which migrant children will become gang members by looking into their eyes
Here's the really disgusting and depressing part about that, to me...

Most people probably weren't aware of that comment (I wasn't) until the most recent publicity surrounding it, but you can betcher boots that Il Boobce, as regular viewer of Tucker Carlson's show saw it, and that the remark no doubt played a positive role in his decision to elevate this bigoted clown to be the head ICE...

In any other Administration, Republican or Democrat, the public expression of this kind of pure mindless bigotry would have resulted in the person losing their existing position; in the Trump regime, it qualifies you for promotion...

Yet another example of just how deeply into the moral cesspool this scumbag has dragged our country ... :evil:
ImageImageImage

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Lord Jim wrote:In any other Administration, Republican or Democrat, the public expression of this kind of pure mindless bigotry would have resulted in the person losing their existing position; in the Trump regime, it qualifies you for promotion...

Yet another example of just how deeply into the moral cesspool this scumbag has dragged our country ... :evil:
It's like I saw posted elsewhere ... he hasn't drained the swamp; he's turned it into a federally protected wetlands and wildlife sanctuary.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Trump May Be Preparing Pardons for Servicemen Accused of War Crimes

President Trump has indicated that he is considering pardons for several American military members accused or convicted of war crimes, including high-profile cases of murder, attempted murder and desecration of a corpse, according to two United States officials.

The officials said that the Trump administration had made expedited requests this week for paperwork needed to pardon the troops on or around Memorial Day.

One request is for Special Operations Chief Edward Gallagher of the Navy SEALs, who is scheduled to stand trial in the coming weeks on charges of shooting unarmed civilians and killing an enemy captive with a knife while deployed in Iraq.

The others are believed to include the case of a former Blackwater security contractor recently found guilty in the deadly 2007 shooting of dozens of unarmed Iraqis; the case of Maj. Mathew L. Golsteyn, the Army Green Beret accused of killing an unarmed Afghan in 2010; and the case of a group of Marine Corps snipers charged with urinating on the corpses of dead Taliban fighters.
While the requests for pardon files are a strong sign of the president’s plans, Mr. Trump has been known to change his mind and it is not clear what the impetus was for the requests. But most of the troops who are positioned for a pardon have been championed by conservative lawmakers and media organizations, such as Fox News, which have portrayed them as being unfairly punished for trying to do their job. Many have pushed for the president to intervene. The White House declined to comment.

Pardoning several accused and convicted war criminals at once, including some who have not yet gone to trial, has not been done in recent history, legal experts said. Some worried that it could erode the legitimacy of military law and undercut good order and discipline in the ranks.
Navy SEALs who served with Chief Gallagher told authorities he indiscriminately shot at civilians, gunning down a young woman in a flowered hijab and an unarmed old man. They also said he stabbed a teenage captive, then bragged about it in text messages. His trial is set to start at the end of this month. If convicted, he faces life in prison. He has pleaded not guilty and denies all charges.

Major Golsteyn is charged with killing an Afghan man that he and other soldiers said had bomb-making materials. After an interrogation, the soldiers let the man go. Fearing that the man would return to making improvised explosives, which had already killed two Marines in the area, Major Golsteyn later said he killed the man.

Mr. Trump has singled both men out on Twitter, calling Major Golsteyn a “U.S. Military hero,” and praising Chief Gallagher for his service to the country.

The Blackwater contractor, Nicholas A. Slatten, is one of several Blackwater contractors charged in the killing of 17 Iraqis and the wounding of 20 more on a Baghdad street. After a number of mistrials and other delays, he is the only one who has been convicted.

The Marines charged in urinating on the corpse of a Taliban fighter were caught after a video of the act was found.

The fact that the requests were sent from the White House to the Justice Department, instead of the other way around, is a reversal of long-established practices, said Margaret Love, who served as the United States pardon attorney during the first Bush administration and part of the Clinton administration.

Long ago, presidents wielded clemency power directly, Ms. Love said, but that changed at the end of the Civil War when President Lincoln delegated review of clemency requests to his attorney general. Since then, cases have generally been vetted by Justice Department lawyers before being sent to the president.
Process aside, she said that pardoning the men would be an abrupt departure from the past.

“Presidents use pardons to send messages. They recognize when a process wasn’t just or when punishments were too extreme, like for some nonviolent drug cases,” she said. “If this president is planning to pardon a bunch of people charged with war crimes, he will use the pardon power to send a far darker message.”

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Ben Carson really is a fucking idiot.

He may be great at delicately taking apart conjoined twins but he's useless as HUD secretary. I don't fault him for not knowing some of this stuff: most of us don't. But if appointed to a cabinet post we would either learn it or say: no, I can't do that job. And one thinks that he might do some homework before he goes before a house panel.

This is just embarrassing. Hell, I'm embarrassed. Unfortunately incompetence is neither a high crime nor a misdemeanor. This of course also displays Trump's total incompetence in allowing him to function as HUD Secretary.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Trump refers basic incompetence in all his appointments.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Trump’s taking all his adult children and their spouses to the UK for the upcoming state visit - has any other President ever done such a thing?

Oh for a gunpowder plot to rid us of our useless ‘royal’ family!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Everything You Need to Know About Boston's 'Straight Pride' Parade

A group of Boston conservatives say they've convinced city officials to greenlight a "straight pride" parade scheduled to take place August 31.

A group called Super Happy Fun America is organizing the event. The group's president, John Hugo, "started Super Happy Fun America in order advocate on behalf of the straight community," according to Super Happy Fun America's website. "He brings years of experience working in politics while living openly as a straight man." Vice President Mark Sahady "has been working on and speaking about social justice issues in the Boston area for several years. Now he has turned his focus on problems facing straight people of all income levels and social standing."

Super Happy Fun America even has a gay ambassador, Chris Bartley. "As gay ambassador, Chris uses his status in the LGBTQ community to challenge heterophobia wherever it exists. He became involved in the straight pride movement after being ostracized from established advocacy groups for merely suggesting that straight people be afforded equal rights."

Oddly, the group named LGBTQ rights advocate Brad Pitt as their mascot.

Hugo told The Washington Post that straight people are an "oppressed majority" and thus need an outlet to be themselves. Meanwhile, Sahady wrote on Facebook that, “For [LGBTQ people] everything is based upon identity and whether or not one is categorized as a victim or an oppressor. If you get victim status then you are entitled to celebrate yourself and expect those with oppressor status to defer to your feelings.”

Hugo is a Republican who made a failed run for Congress last year.

The parade will wend through downtown Boston — the same route the city's LGBTQ Pride event will follow — and feature floats and vehicles, according to the organizers. The men hope to fly a straight pride flag during the festivities (ed - see below) and have filed a discrimination complaint with city officials to do so. A high-profile, but currently unnamed, gay conservative is also scheduled to speak at straight pride.

City officials are staying mum on the straight pride parade, instead emphasizing the importance of LGBTQ Pride in the place where U.S. marriage equality was born.

“Every year Boston hosts our annual Pride Week, where our city comes together to celebrate the diversity, strength and acceptance of our LGBTQ community,” Boston's Democratic mayor Marty Walsh told the Post in a statement. “This is a special week that represents Boston’s values of love and inclusion, which are unwavering.”
Sounds like a bunch of incels pissed off because their would be girlfriends are happier spending time with their gay bffs.

The so-called "straight pride flag":

Could they have possibly come up with anything more unimaginative and boring?

Chris Evans got it right:

-- Author unknown

rubato

Post by rubato »

Super Happy Fun America

Love it! I'm in. That much ironic sarcasm needs it's own zip code.

yrs,
rubato

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

while living openly as a straight man
There have been many who led successful lives while living openly as straight men:

ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

GOP Chair Claims D-Day Anniversary Should Be About 'Celebrating Our President'

Apparently, the “D” in D-Day stands for “Donald Trump,” at least according to Ronna McDaniel, the chairwoman of the Republican National Committee.

The GOP chair appeared on Fox Business on Wednesday to basically moan about the way the media has covered the president’s trip to Europe.

She then suggested that Trump should be a main focus of the 75th-anniversary commemoration of D-Day.

“We are celebrating the anniversary, 75 years of D-Day,” McDaniel said. “This is the time where we should be celebrating our president, :oops: :loon the great achievements of America, and I don’t think the American people like the constant negativity.”
https://news.yahoo.com/d-day-celebrate- ... _test=2_07
ImageImageImage