You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Dear Mr. Trump:
In the 1420s China built a wall to keep Manchus out.
Let me know if you'd like an update on how that turned out.
Yours truly,
Emperor Ming Yongle
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Re: You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Post by Joe Guy »

Dear Mr. Trump:
All prisons have walls.
Yours truly,
El Chapo

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Journey to the center of the lost mind.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Michael Cohen paid for a fake Twitter account that touted him as a ‘sex symbol’

Michael Cohen paid the chief information officer for Jerry Falwell Jr.’s evangelical university to game online polls for Donald Trump — and to promote himself as a sex symbol.

The former Trump Organization attorney, who has implicated the president in a federal election law violation, paid tech businessman John Gauger up to $13,000 for his work on the 2016 campaign, reported the Wall Street Journal.

Gauger, who owns RedFinch Solutions LLC and oversees information technology at Liberty University, told the newspaper he Cohen gave him a blue Walmart bag full of cash, along with a boxing glove the attorney claimed had been worn by a Brazilian mixed-martial arts fighter.

Cohen, however, requested the full $50,000 promised to RedFinch from Trump and his company, according to court documents.

Gauger told the Journal that he tried unsuccessfully to rig two online polls for Trump in 2015, and Cohen also asked him to help promote himself.

The attorney asked the tech officer to create a Twitter account called @WomenForCohen, which a woman friend of Gauger ran starting in May 2016, to praise Cohen’s looks and character.

“Women who love and support Michael Cohen,” reads the account’s profile. Strong, pit bull, sex symbol, no nonsense, business oriented and ready to make a difference!”

The social media account also promoted Cohen’s TV appearances and Trump’s campaign.
https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/reveal ... ex-symbol/

Good news...

The @WomenForCohen twitter account is still up! (Though there hasn't been a new tweet since December of 2016)

If you're the kind of person (and let's face it, who isn't) that just can't read enough effusive praise of Michael Cohen, check it out:

https://twitter.com/womenforcohen?lang=en
ImageImageImage

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I clicked on LJ's second link there. I wish I hadn't.

The nausea will eventually subside. But don't do it.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

It's amazing to me that Michael Cohen has never won the People Magazine Sexiest Man Alive Award...

He's such an obvious choice; the only possible explanation for this snub is pure political bias...
ImageImageImage

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Snark... snark. I bet Cohen's Ukraine-born wife, Laura, still finds him somewhat sexy even though she has her green card. It's well known that the ladies gravitate toward bad boys.

And if Cohen doesn't avoid time for his crime he'll probably come out "screwed, glued, and tattooed." I mean, who can survive the Federal Correctional Institution at Otisville unscathed? The ladies won't be able to help themselves.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

This has got to be my best contribution to the theme of this thread by far:
MIKE PENCE COMPARES TRUMP TO MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. ON EVE OF MLK DAY: BOTH ‘INSPIRED US TO CHANGE’

Vice President Mike Pence compared Donald Trump to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. during a CBS News interview over the weekend, claiming both leaders have inspired Americans to change through the legislative process.

During a segment on Sunday’s Face The Nation, host Margaret Brennan pressed Pence on the president’s latest offer to end the partial government shutdown, which involves trading extended protections for DACA recipients for a wall on the southern U.S.-Mexico border. Before Trump officially made the proposal on Saturday, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) rejected it in a statement where she called the deal “unacceptable,” a “non-starter” and stated that it did not “represent a good faith effort to restore certainty to people’s lives”.

“If this is a genuine attempt [at ending the shutdown], why weren’t any Democrats included in the consultations?” Brennan asked Pence on Sunday.

Pence responded by reciting Trump administration talking points before adding a surprise comparison of the president to Martin Luther King Jr. to sell the proposed border wall.

“Honestly, you know, the hearts and minds of the American people today are thinking a lot about it being the weekend we are remembering the life and the work of Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. One of my favorite quotes from Dr. King was, ‘Now is the time to make real the the promises of democracy,’” he said, quoting a passage from Dr. King’s famous “I Have a Dream” speech.

Pence continued on to argue that like MLK, Trump has also “inspired us to change.” “You think of how he changed America, he inspired us to change through the legislative process, to become a more perfect union,” he said. “That’s exactly what President Trump is calling on the Congress to do, come to the table in a spirit of good faith.”

The vice president’s comments come on the eve of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, a federal holiday marking the birthday of the influential American civil rights movement leader and celebrating his life and achievements.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

I just threw up in my mouth a little.
GAH!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I find it about par for the course
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Maybe his career will be ended in a similar fashion...
ImageImageImage

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

And Jim you should now be able to see why there aren’t many people that see Pence as a preferred alternative to Trump. At least Trump doesn’t pretend to have any type of moral compass.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

It takes a lot more than being a sanctimonious boot-licking hypocrite to qualify as "Worse Than Donald Trump"...

It's tough to do without "serial killer" or "pedophile" on your resume...
ImageImageImage

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

note I didn't say worse I said preferred alternative. For as bad as Trump is one would hope the replacement would be at least some order of magnitude better.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

And I'll stick with "how to come off as a tone deaf buffoon on MLK Day" for $400, Alex:
Rep. Lori Saine says blacks, whites lynched in ‘nearly equal numbers’ for being Republican

A Colorado representative said black people and white people were lynched in nearly equal numbers for being Republican in the post-Reconstruction era.

Rep. Lori Saine, R-Firestone, made the claim on the Colorado House floor Friday, and posted the video to her Facebook page Monday, saying it was in defense of House District 49 Rep. Perry Buck, R-Windsor, who tried to introduce a resolution honoring Rev. Dr. Martin Martin Luther King Jr.

Saine said Buck was told she couldn't introduce her resolution because King "didn't represent her heritage."

In a phone interview Monday afternoon, Saine said Buck had introduced similar resolution last year. Buck didn’t immediately return a message seeking comment.

Reps. Jovan Melton and Leslie Herod introduced House Joint Resolution 19-1006, commemorating Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday. Both representatives are black, but Saine, Buck and many others are listed as sponsors on the joint resolution.

In a phone interview Monday afternoon, Rep. Herod, D-Denver, said Melton had carried a similar resolution each of the past six years, saying Saine brought partisanship into a nonpartisan day.

Herod said Buck was added as the first co-sponsor of the resolution, and she said Buck spoke very eloquently.

“She handled it very well,” Herod said. “Unfortunately, I can’t say the same for Lori Saine.”

Rep. Rochelle Galindo, D-Greeley, had a similar take, saying via text message that it was unfortunate that Saine attempted to divert focus away from a day of harmony at the Legislature.

“Moving forward, we must continue to build bridges and reject division,” Galindo said.

In a 4-minute speech on the house floor, Saine appears to co-opt King's Civil Rights push, saying Buck's inability to introduce the resolution means the "march toward justice is not over."

In her phone interview, Saine said King represents all Americans’ heritage, saying his “I Have a Dream” speech was extremely inclusive.

"How could I honor Martin Luther King today without shining a light on injustice myself?" Saine said. "My colleagues, how can you redeem your marginalized voice by marginalizing ours? Our march toward justice is not over when a colleague of ours is barred from introducing a resolution on this floor because of the color of her skin." (sure, because MLK Day is all about you whining about your white victimhood)

Saine's words, particularly those detailing the history of lynching in the United States, stand in contrast to the historic record, which shows nearly 73 percent of lynchings were committed against black people.

Saine's words also caught University of Northern Colorado's Fritz Fischer off guard. Fischer, the chairman of the UNC History Department, and a history professor specializing in 20th century American history, had a short answer when asked about Saine's characterization of American lynchings.
"No," he said.

"Blacks were lynched for the 'crime of being black,' which obviously isn't a crime — and not even close to equal numbers," Fischer said. "I suppose there were a certain number of blacks who were lynched who were Republican. But that was coincidental."

Saine acknowledged more black people were lynched than white people, saying white lynchings outpaced black lynchings “in the beginning.” It’s true that from 1882-1885 whites were lynched in greater numbers than black people. For the next 70 years, lynchings of black people far outpaced those of white people, according to data Saine cited from Tuskegee University.

Fischer said in an email that Saine was repeating a myth that has its origins in a book by David Barton called, “Setting the Record Straight: American History in Black & White.”

Fischer said he has written extensively about Barton as a leading writer of misleading “anti-history designed only to support a right wing political agenda rather than deriving from actual historical research.”

In a follow-up email, Fischer added that the Republican party of the 21st century bears almost no resemblance to the Republican party of the 19th century.

"It is ahistorical for any politician to claim that anything that happened to Republicans in the 19th century has any connection whatsoever to Republicans of the 21st century," Fischer said.

-- Author unknown

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Damn! Loose association kicks in again.

Lori inSaine:

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

• South Carolina Republican Lindsey Graham, the new chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, plans to launch new investigations into the FBI’s investigation of Hillary Clinton’s email server.

Graham, who backed President Trump’s demands for investigations into several Obama-era scandals last year, now plans to probe the FBI’s handling of the Clinton investigation and its Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) warrant application that targeted form Trump campaign adviser Carter Page, The Hill reports.

Graham previously told reporters this month that he would do a “deep dive on the FISA issue.” Conservatives have repeatedly insisted that the Justice Department violated Page’s rights by collecting his electronic communications. The FBI has said it was investigating Page because they believed he was conspiring with the Russian attack on the 2016 election.

Graham also told Fox News lat month that he thought the FBI “phoned in” the Clinton probe because the agency was “in the tank” for her campaign.

“There’s a certain unevenness here about how you investigate campaigns,” Graham said, claiming there was a double standard between how the FBI handled the Clinton investigation and its approach to the Trump campaign.

Democrats responded to the news by mocking the new Judiciary chairman.

The Hill reported that when Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois, the No. 2 Democrat in the Senate, was told about Graham’s plans, he “started laughing and compared them to the ‘thrilling days of yesteryear.’”
    [This might be a good place to mention just how proud I am of both of my state's Senators: Durbin and Duckworth.]

“This is going to be like the History Channel, it turns out. Instead of taking a look at the current issues, Lindsey Graham wants to go back and answer important questions about the Bermuda Triangle and Hillary Clinton,” Durbin said, adding that Graham may want to question former President Jimmy Carter next.

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., who also sits on the committee, quipped that perhaps Graham should “investigate Benghazi some more.”

[story continues here]
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

From the Guardian, there is a story on how the religious right has unprecedented access to Trump.

It ends with a comment about Trump from Ralph Reed (executive director of the Faith and Freedom Coalition).
“If you talk to enough of these leaders, they’re not only thrilled by the unprecedented access, and he’s so solicitous of their views as is the rest of the team at the White House, but also the decisions he makes,” said Reed. Trump, he said, “dances with the one he brought”.
If there is one thing Trump is famous for, it's for not dancing with the one he brought.

You really, really, REALLY, REALLY couldn't make this shit up.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

(1) She's seeing TSA agents at work during a shutdown precisely because they have been deemed essential, and she is lamenting about how their paycheques come out of someone else's paycheque when they are being forced to work UNPAID.

(2) She wants a wall, but would be happy to fly in airplanes with no security measures and no one to prevent potential terrorists from entering the country by air.

Trump is not your country's problem. Your country's problem is the 65 million poster children for retroactive abortion that elected him and still live among you.

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

And doesn't everyone's paycheck come out of someone else's; we use our pay to pay for the services we want and/or need, nor do I need an asshole paid to be president. Hell, I don't care if your street is plowed or if you have access to utiilities. #abolidh captialism#I should keep my entire paycheck and not have to share it to pay for anything. MMAAA (made myself an ass again)