You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Post by Bicycle Bill »

If he did nominate her, Trump said, “they’d say nepotism, when it would’ve had nothing to do with nepotism. But she would’ve been incredible.”
You betcher sweet ass we'd have hollered "nepotism".... especially after he made his son-in-law the senior White House y⃥e⃥s⃥-⃥m⃥a⃥n⃥ advisor.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The thread title seemed apt for this particular rant:

I owed taxes this year, for only the second time in my life and for the first time in almost 20 years. I opted not to have taxes taken from my unemployment and calculated that I would owe $135 - it ended up being $136, so my math was spot on.

I used Liberty Tax’s online eSmartTax filing service because it was the cheapest; there was nothing wrong with the service but at the end when you have an option to pay online it transfers you to the IRS/government payment service - which I thought I could trust.

THOSE FUCKERS DEDUCTED THE MONEY TWICE!!!!

I’ve spent almost an hour now trying to get through to a human being at IRS and it’s not possible because none of their numerous options fits with ‘IRS fucked up your payment? select #_”

I finally found a number for the Tax Advocate and ended up crying on the phone with a very nice lady who says they’ll fix it eventually when they figure it out. Now I’m on hold with a department she transferred me to so they can check and see if they even know yet that they fucked it up.

I made less than $20k last year and probably paid more income tax than anybody in the Trump family. On top of that they have to STEAL from me?!?!

I’m fucking done already.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

That really sucks BSG...

After I read your post I started to think about it, and just about the only thing I don't pay on line are tax bills, (none of them; not to the Feds, the state, or property tax)
the IRS/government payment service - which I thought I could trust.
I come from a completely different place when it comes to confidence that the government won't screw up...(And of course, when they screw up, they're happy to blame you and penalize you for it ...)
none of their numerous options fits with ‘IRS fucked up your payment? select #_”
Now that one is not unique to the government...

The same folks who design the systems come up with the questions that the public might ask, and "our system fucked up" is a concept that doesn't even exist in their universe of possibilities...
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Massachusetts managed to bill me just once - but yeah, I’ll NEVER do this again. Some smug bastard at the IRS just told me I was lucky I was only on hold 45 minutes and that I could always call after work if I didn’t want to miss out on income to address the situation and oh, maybe it’s MY FAULT I got charged twice, and not theirs!!

I explained to him that I received a receipt AND email confirmation, and since I only got ONE OF EACH for the proper amount, that it was CLEARLY THEIR FAULT! He then explained (with what sounded like some glee in his voice) that it could be 10-15 days before the payment even registers on their system and then another 10-15 days before they return the duplicate funds to my account.

If I made an unauthorized withdrawal from somebody’s bank account it would be called theft and I’d get prosecuted for it. IRS does it and they don’t have to do anything special to attempt to return your funds to you quickly (so you might be able to gas up your car to get to work or whatever) AND some snide asshole gets to insult and demean you in the process!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

sadly, that is pretty much SOP for the IRS. My father and I share the same name (I'm a Jr.), and they once billed me for tax on some 1099 income he received even though he had a 1099 which clearly showed his social security number (not mine) and even though he properly reported that income on his return and paid taxes on it, and even though we have different addresses and the 1099 showed his correct address. It took nearly 8 weeks to get it settled, and during that time the only correspondence I received is that they would waive interest and penalties (it was for a tax year which ended two years ago), it was taking so long I honestly considered paying it, but their attitude got me pissed, so I refused. Eventually, they corrected it an removed the delinquency notice, but it took a lot of time.

Hopefully, your situation will resolve itself much more quickly.

RayThom

You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Post by RayThom »

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:funee: :lol:

Thanks for that, first I’ve laughed all day! :ok

I will commend the lady at the Tax Advocate’s Office - she was compassionate and totally professional, with no impulse to suggest it was my fault when no such evidence exists. But then, it was obvious from what she said and how she said it that this issue of duplicate debits is a fairly common problem at IRS.

:roll: :shrug
~ Carl Sagan

dales

Post by dales »

I don't pay any income taxes anymore since my retirement income is so low.

My property taxes are another story (OUCH!).

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I can honestly say I have never had a problem with the IRS despite moving frequently and working overseas. They once queried a deduction a few months later (less than a year IIRC) with a polite letter: I answered in kind with photocopies of proof which they accepted.

Of course, and as BSG says, YRMV. But then I am one of those people who defends the DMV because over 35 years and three states (NY, IN and MO) and 10 cars I've never had a problem or an unacceptable wait.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

dales wrote:I don't pay any income taxes anymore since my retirement income is so low.

My property taxes are another story (OUCH!).
And I remember when they were deductible--before the so-called tax cut.

dales

Post by dales »

I remember when credit card interest could be deducted.

CA is NOT a low-tax state but I'd rather live here than some beet-red state in the hinterland. It's not worth it for me to save a few dollars on taxes and put up with all the Trump worship and other bull shyt.

I was born in CA and with any luck I'll drop dead here, as well. :ok

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m happy to report the IRS already returned my stolen $$$.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Well....no Republicans, anyway.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

BoSoxGal wrote:I’m happy to report the IRS already returned my stolen $$$.
Thank God for Donald J. Trump who knows how to handle the IRS, and no doubt went to bat for the return of your double payment.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Ray's right
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I'm sure that had you been late or short with your payment, it would be been a "mistake", an "oversight", or "human error".
But when it's the other way around, "They're stealing MY money!"

Just an observation into the foibles of the human mind ... nothing more.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m not an idiot, BB - filing taxes after April 15 is never a ‘mistake’ or ‘error’; it’s either a strategic decision to file an extension or it is simple conscious failure to comply with the law.

I would own up to that either way. I have a track record for owning my own bad acts and choices.

:fu

Your statements only reveal your own slimy character.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Bicycle Bill wrote: Just an observation into the foibles of the human mind ... nothing more.
BoSoxGal wrote:I’m not an idiot, BB - filing taxes after April 15 is never a ‘mistake’ or ‘error’; it’s either a strategic decision to file an extension or it is simple conscious failure to comply with the law.

I would own up to that either way. I have a track record for owning my own bad acts and choices.

Your statements only reveal your own slimy character.
An example of a human foible. Supporting BB's point.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Nice try, Joe Loser. He’s clearly attacking me - and now you are, too. You guys are pathetic, like junior high school boys who don’t know what to do with their little boners. :roll:
Bicycle Bill wrote:
I'm sure that had you been late or short with your payment, it would be been a "mistake", an "oversight", or "human error".
But when it's the other way around, "They're stealing MY money!"

Just an observation into the foibles of the human mind ... nothing more.
-"BB"-
~ Carl Sagan