You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Lord Jim

Re: You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Post by Lord Jim »

Zoe Baird for AG under Clinton. She failed to pay the proper employment taxes and her Nanny was undocumented. So her nomination was withdrawn and we got Janet Reno instead.
And don't forget Kimba Wood...

(Who also happens now to be the federal judge handling the Michael Cohen case in New York...)

She was nominated by Mr. Bill after Baird; Reno was actually the third choice:
In the Nannygate matter of 1993, Wood was Bill Clinton's second unsuccessful choice for United States Attorney General.[9] Like Clinton's previous nominee, Zoë Baird, Wood had hired an illegal immigrant as a nanny, but unlike Baird, she had paid the required taxes on the employee. Wood employed the illegal immigrant at a time when it was legal to do so, before the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 made the hiring of illegal immigrants unlawful.[10] The threat of a repetition of the same controversy nevertheless led to the hasty withdrawal of Wood from consideration.[11] Janet Reno was later nominated and confirmed for the post. White House officials said they were angry at Wood because she had not told Clinton and other officials about the nanny, even when she had been directly asked. In her statement, however, Wood said she had not misled the White House.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimba_Wood

Since she had paid the required taxes and hadn't violated the existing law, her nomination might have survived had it not taken place in the immediate aftermath of the Baird nomination...
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I was gonna post about Kimba Wood until I saw you had LJ - it’s the perfect example to show how we have evolved from a time when even the slightest appearance of impropriety would sink a nomination to a time when despite voluminous evidence of corruption, this administration’s many rats are sailing happily aboard a ship which seems unsinkable.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Wood was never actually nominated.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

it’s the perfect example to show how we have evolved from a time when even the slightest appearance of impropriety would sink a nomination to a time when despite voluminous evidence of corruption, this administration’s many rats are sailing happily aboard a ship which seems unsinkable.
Yeah, we've come a long way from Eisenhower Chief Of Staff Sherman Adams having to resign for accepting the gift of a vicuna coat, to EPA Director Scott "Swamp Thing" Pruitt...

And not in a good direction... :?
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Why I tend to refrain from saying "it couldn't possibly be any worse, could it?" nowadays:
Kim Kardashian Tells CNN’s Van Jones She Won’t Rule Out Running For President

A year that’s been filled with a string of astonishing incidents and inspiring revolutions has led its way to something completely unforeseen. In a turn of events, yet another reality star has openly stated they’d consider setting their sights on The White House. In an interview with CNN, Keeping Up With The Kardashians’ Kim Kardashian West revealed that she wouldn’t rule out running for president of the United States someday.

During her appearance on The Van Jones Show, she talked about her involvement in the release of the 63-year-old convict Alice Johnson, who was serving a life sentence in prison for a non-violent and first-time drug offense. Last month, Kardashian met with the 45th president, Donald Trump, to discuss Johnson’s release and prison reform, causing an upheaval over the relevance of her visit and place in politics.

In response to this skepticism, she clarified that the process wasn’t easy for her like some might think. “I saw this seven months ago and I have been doing daily phone calls, maybe a dozen emails a day trying to get letters from the Warden,” she told Jones. “I honestly saw that if I could use my platform just to do something for one person, that it opens the conversation for so much more and for other people to want to do the same thing.”

Kardashian was then questioned about her future involvement in politics and divulged that if the schooling wasn’t so extensive, she would have loved to walk in her father’s footsteps and become an attorney. Once asked about her specific interest in the role of president, she replied with a simple and prompt “never say never.”

Funnily enough, her husband, Kanye West, who is known for his controversial views, has also hinted multiple times that he’d like his own shot at the Oval Office. He first announced his political plans during his speech at the 2015 MTV Video Music Awards, starting off by explaining how his grandfather inspired him to never give up. “I don’t know I’m fittin’ to lose after this. It don’t matter though, because it ain’t about me. It’s about ideas, bro. New ideas. People with ideas. People who believe in truth. And yes, as you probably could have guessed by this moment, I have decided in 2020 to run for president,” he declared.

At the time, fans were pleased with his remarks and encouraged the campaign. “All jokes aside Kanye west would probably get my vote,” an admirer Tweeted. However, in recent news, West has lost favor from many of his peers after Tweeting himself in close embrace with Donald Trump’s team and publicly stating, during an episode of TMZ, that slavery was actually a choice, says BBC.

Though Kardashian’s brief words definitely did not confirm she’d be running anytime soon, fans believe that one of West’s latest Tweets suggests that he’s still interested. The Yeezy designer, posted a cryptic “2024,” leading followers to presume that’s when he plans on trying his luck as Head of State. As ongoing unpredictability maintains, all we can really do is wait, see what happens and enjoy the ride.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I saw this seven months ago and I have been doing daily phone calls, maybe a dozen emails a day trying to get letters from the Warden
A phone calla a dzen emails a day (likely Mon - Fri?); how can she stand working so hard?

and Scooter, would she be worse than Trump? I really don't know.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I don't know, hence why I said it. After this gong show who knows what a future occupant of the OO might try/get away with.

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

would she be worse than Trump? I really don't know.
Oh, I think she would be better than Trump, really no contest...

They tie on intellectual vacuousness, a total lack of qualifications, and complete ignorance of anything related to doing the job, but I doubt that Kardashian is anywhere near as vicious or cruel as Trump...

Plus I've seen no evidence that she's in the pocket of Vladimir Putin...

Instead of spending her time trying to figure out ways to subvert the Constitution and undermine the institutions of our democracy, she'd probably just go shopping...
ImageImageImage

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I guess you're right, she appears to be a more inept clown than he is, but appearances can be deceiving.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I just spent a couple of minutes (that I'm never going to get back :? ) scrolling through Kardashian-West's twitter feed...

A lot of stuff about hair and make up, but I'm not seeing any praise for Nazis, or attacks on war heroes, or calls to lock up people who disagree with her...

So as far as Twitter goes, advantage Kardashian...
ImageImageImage

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

:lol: :lol:

Thanks for doing that so we don't have to, Jim.

I will inquire of my teen daughters tonight; they are experts on all things Kardashian.
GAH!

RayThom

You really couldn't make this shit up

Post by RayThom »

I'll start railing against KK when she secures her party of choice presidential nomination.

As it is, I would like to think I'll have better things to do for the next two years -- give or take a few months.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

At least if she won we'd only have the second biggest ass to occupy the White House
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

When I was doped up on dilaudid in recovery following major abdominal surgery, I watched a KUWTK marathon on E! network for an entire day because I was too tired and sore to even bother reaching for the TV remote control.

I’ve never watched it before or since, and in general I eschew all things Kardashian - but I know Kim would be a better President than Trump because for all her vacuous materialism, she is actually a self-made multimillionaire who has been ridiculously successful in business, she’s not a racist and she has a decent heart. If the choice was her or anyone named Trump, it’s no contest.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Somehow my Taft comment ended up in the wrong thread
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Crackpot wrote:Somehow my Taft comment ended up in the wrong thread
I think I can maybe explain the "somehow" part of that for you....

:P
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Crackpot wrote:Somehow my Taft comment ended up in the wrong thread
... and there I was thinking, "Cp's going to blame auto-correct again. Obviously, 'tart' "
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

‘What the hell does that mean?’ Trump criticizes Canada, then says he doesn’t understand what he just read

WASHINGTON—U.S. President Donald Trump lobbed some new trade criticism at Canada on Wednesday. And then he said he did not understand what he had just said.

Speaking at a rally in Fargo, North Dakota on Wednesday might, Trump took a break from his usual improvisation to read out a note card he said he had been given. It was a complaint about Canada’s wheat practices.

Immediately after reading the note, the president declared that he had no idea what he was talking about.

“John and Kevin gave me something, they told me this,” he said, likely referring to North Dakota Sen. John Hoeven and Rep. Kevin Cramer. Beginning to read, he said, “Canadian wheat markets consistently discriminate against the United States’s wheat by grading it as feed.”

He then pointed quizzically at the audience.

“Do you know what that means? They know what it means,” he said, pointing behind him. “I don’t know what the hell it means. I just know it’s a bad deal. What the hell does that mean?”

He threw the note card up in the air dismissively, letting it fall to the ground. Then he cast a long look behind him, an irritated expression on his face.

-- Author unknown

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Trade is a game?

Women (and a few men) know you can’t rush a turkey?

JFC this guy is an abomination to anyone with a brain.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké