You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Post by Bicycle Bill »

In the case 'UNITED STATES V. WILSON' (1833), the US Supreme Court ruled that “A pardon is a deed, to the validity of which delivery is essential, and delivery is not complete without acceptance.  It may then be rejected by the person to whom it is tendered, and if it be rejected, we have discovered no power in a court to force it on him.”

So Trump, in a grandstand act that is patently playing to the 'women's libbers' in the electorate, pardons one single (long-dead) woman who was convicted of "voting while female" and who does not have the ability to either accept or reject the pardon.  Sheesh!!

And for that matter, how many others among the early suffragettes shared the same fate?  What about them?  Where are their pardons?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The acceptance of a pardon is also equivalent to the admission of guilt - Anthony never would have. Just another stunt by Trump that shows his utter stupidity.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

(clicky 4 linky) --> Image

ETA: ImageImage
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

What are the images after ETA:? (They don’t load for me.)
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:47 am
What are the images after ETA:? (They don’t load for me.)
White snowflakes falling against a dark-blue background (same image twice).
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:lol: :ok
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Trump Cooks Up Wacky New Birther Slam:
'Joe Biden Wasn't Born In Pennsylvania'

President Donald Trump expanded his “birther” conspiracy theories on Thursday to Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, telling a crowd in Pennsylvania that Biden “wasn’t born” in the state because he moved to Delaware with his family when he was a child.

“He’d say he was born here,” Trump told listeners in Scranton.  “But he left when he was like 8, 9, or 10.  So he left 68 years ago, he left — a long time ago.  So I view it differently.  He wasn’t born here.  He abandoned Scranton!”

Trump conceded: “His family had something to do with that, you know, his parents.  But he left Scranton.”

Biden was born in Scranton in 1942 and moved from the state to Mayfield, Delaware, with his family when he was 13, according to his biography.  Trump didn’t name the state he believes counts as Biden’s birthplace.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-bi ... 5f32555891
This comes on the heels of Trump's attempt to raise questions about the citizenship status of Biden's running mate, Kamala Harris, claiming that she “may not meet the requirements” to run as vice president because her parents were immigrants.  Under the 14th
Amendment to the US Constitution (ratified in 1868; its passage overrode the 1857 US Supreme Court decision in Dred Scott v Sandford), everyone born in the US — or in areas subject to the jurisdiction of the US such as the territories of Puerto Rico, the Marianas Islands, and the US Virgin Islands — is an American citizen regardless of the citizenship status of their parents.

And we all remember how vocal Trump was about the original 'birther' kerfluffle with regards to Barack Obama, making baseless claims that the "official" records showing his birth in Hawaii in 1961 were forgeries and frauds and that he had actually been born in Kenya.

But you know Trump must be getting really desperate when he stoops to starting a patently false birther conspiracy about a 77-year-old white man.
-"BB"-

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Seriously?! My parents dragged me to Arizona when I was 9 years old - that doesn’t make me any less a Masshole.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:57 pm
Seriously?! My parents dragged me to Arizona when I was 9 years old - that doesn’t make me any less a Masshole.
So the 'M' is silent?
(sorry; couldn't help myself)
-"BB"-

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:13 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
So the 'M' is silent?
(sorry; couldn't help myself)
Okay, my turn...
...My parents dragged me to Arizona when I was 9 years old...
That must have been painful. Was there not enough room in the car?

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

BoSoxGal wrote:
My parents dragged me to Arizona .
London Bridge said the same thing!

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

"Pro-life"????? :roll: :evil:

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Econoline wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:00 pm
"Pro-life"????? :roll: :evil:
That's because Repugnicans are "pro-life" while you are still sperm, egg, zygote, or embryo — because
Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate
Although once you've been born, baby, you're on your own.
-"BB"-

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

From Charlie Pierce:
I’m not sure what this is all about, but I feel confident that there’s something deep and hinky about it. From USA Today:
In a heretofore unpublicized recent memo, the Pentagon delivered an order to shutter Stars and Stripes, a newspaper that has been a lifeline and a voice for American troops since the Civil War. The memo orders the publisher of the news organization (which now publishes online as well as in print) to present a plan that “dissolves the Stars and Stripes” by Sept. 15 including "specific timeline for vacating government owned/leased space worldwide.” “The last newspaper publication (in all forms) will be September 30, 2020,” writes Col. Paul Haverstick Jr., the memo’s author.
My guess is that it comes from the same authoritarian impulse that has led Camp Runamuck to attack the independence of the Voice of America, which was handed over to an administration* crony who’s already meddling with VOA’s political coverage. The president* doesn’t approve of an independent private media, so it’s logical that he’d move like a bitch on any government media that acts independently. But S&S is an institution dating back to the Civil War.
The first Stars and Stripes rolled off presses Nov. 9, 1861 in Bloomfield, Missouri when forces headed by Ulysses Grant overran the tiny town on the way to Cape Girardeau. [Ed. Note -- hometown of Rush Limbaugh!] A group of Grant’s troops who had been pressmen before the war set up shop at a local newspaper office abandoned by its Confederate sympathizer publisher. Since then Stars and Stripes has launched the careers of famous journalists such as cartoonist Bill Mauldin and TV commentator Andy Rooney. And its independence from the Pentagon brass has been guaranteed by such distinguished military leaders at Gens. John G. Pershing, George Marshall and Dwight Eisenhower. Eisenhower once reprimanded Gen. George Patton for trying to censor Mauldin cartoons he didn’t like.
(Let me pause here to say I love the idea of a platoon of pressmen. I know about The Black Hats. Were these guys The Paper Hats?)

Luckily, there might be a constitutional defibrillator available to revive the newspaper.
The memo ordering the publication’s dissolution claims the administration has the authority to make this move under the president’s fiscal year 2021 defense department budget request. It zeroed out the $15.5 million annual subsidy for Stars and Stripes. But Congress, which under the Constitution has the power to make decisions about how the public’s money is spent, has not yet approved the president’s request. In fact, the version the House approved earlier this summer explicitly overruled the decision to pull the plug on Stars and Stripes, restoring funding for the paper.
So, like so many things, the survival of S&S rests at the moment with the invertebrate body that is the Republican majority in the Senate. Maybe.
It also seems unusual. Normally, when Congress has failed to approve a budget for an agency at the end of a fiscal year (an all-too-common occurrence), a “continuing resolution,” maintains funding at the past year’s levels until the lawmakers act. But the Pentagon memo to Stars and Stripes demands a plan for dissolution anyway and says “the last date of the paper will be determined” once the continuing resolution expires. The eagerness to kill Stars and Stripes is hard to fathom. As the senators note in their letter to Esper, the $15.5 million saved by eliminating the newspaper’s subsidy would have a “negligible impact” on the Pentagon’s $700 billion budget.
Nothing this administration* does is unfathomable. “Because we can” is very easy to fathom.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

America is dying.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

And from the NYT:
“The United States of America will NOT be cutting funding to @starsandstripes magazine under my watch,” Mr. Trump posted on Twitter several hours after major news organizations began publishing stories about the pending closure of the newspaper. “It will continue to be a wonderful source of information to our Great Military!”
Sorry: it was your Pentagon at your instigation back in February who proposed this. I don't mind a politician changing his mind if the perception of the facts changes; but to make a virtue of it - "not on my watch" - when it was all you all along is beyond revolting. It's clearly a reaction to the Atlantic story about him calling dead soldiers losers.

I think that even his supporters among the military are starting to see what a total fucking amoral and immoral turd this 'man' is.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Is it ok to quote you " a total fucking amoral and immoral turd this 'man' is." in my letter to the editor of the monthly American Legion magazine?

snailgate

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

From Charlie Pierce, again:
This is so intergalactically stupid and illegal that even my capacity to be astonished by this pack o’bastids, which I thought exhausted a year ago, is fully engaged again. From the New York Times:
The Justice Department moved on Tuesday to replace President Trump’s private legal team with government lawyers to defend him against a defamation lawsuit by the author E. Jean Carroll, who has accused him of raping her in a Manhattan department store in the 1990s. In a highly unusual legal move, lawyers for the Justice Department said in court papers that Mr. Trump was acting in his official capacity as president when he denied ever knowing Ms. Carroll and thus could be defended by government lawyers — in effect underwritten by taxpayer money.
"A highly unusual move,” NYT? That’s the best you got? How about “an unprecedented and howl-at-the-moon-in-your-underwear-with-your-face-painted-blue crazy-assed lunatic exercise”? How about “obvious criminal attempt to obstruct justice”? In brief, Carroll has accused the president* of raping her in a Manhattan department store back in the mid-1990’s. Carroll went public with the story in June of 2019. The president* then gave an interview and denied the whole thing on the grounds that Carroll “wasn’t my type.” Lovely man. Anyway, Carroll sued him for defamation and the hounds were beginning to sound ominously close to the White House.
The motion also effectively protects Mr. Trump from any embarrassing disclosures in the middle of his campaign for re-election. A state judge issued a ruling last month that potentially opened the door to Mr. Trump being deposed in the case before the election in November, and Ms. Carroll’s lawyers have also requested that he provide a DNA sample to determine whether his genetic material is on a dress that Ms. Carroll said she was wearing at the time of the encounter.
So in steps the United States Department of Justice (William Barr, head bobo) to defend, on our freaking dime, the president* in a civil defamation action connected to an alleged rape the president* had committed. Quite simply any DOJ attorney up to and including the attorney-general who participates in this insanity should have their tickets pulled immediately. (If the House wanted to cut off their salaries, I would be all in for that, too.) According to the DOJ, the president* was acting in his official capacity when he called Carroll a liar because she said he’d raped her. I suppose, if he wanted to debase his office any further, Barr could turn the DOJ headquarters into an opium den. How do you go into court with this and not vomit on the bailiff? Where are the mass resignations? Where is the ABA? Where is my Archie Cox? Not any of these guys, per the Washington Post:
The department’s filings were signed by Jeffrey Bossert Clark, the acting attorney general in charge of the Civil Division, as well as James G. Touhey Jr., director of the torts branch, and attorney Stephen R. Terrell. Citing the Federal Tort Claims Act, the department said that Barr has the authority under federal law to move such a case to federal court if he certifies a federal employee was acting within the scope of their job during an incident, though he had delegated that authority to Touhey. Touhey, the department said in a filing, “certified that the defendant employee, President Trump, was acting within the scope of his office or employment at the time of the incident out of which the claim arose.”
Precisely what official duty was the president* undertaking when he told an interviewer that Carroll “wasn’t his type”? Was he taking care that the laws be faithfully executed? Was he preserving, protecting, and defending the Constitution? Was he acting as commander-in-chief of the armed forces? Or was he just another barroom pussy-grabber concocting a cheap and worthless non-denial? I know which way I’m betting. Some federal judge gets a chance to be a hero.
At least Bill Clinton never claimed that getting a blow job from an intern was one of his official Presidential duties. :lol:
God @The Tweet of God

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I'm pretty sure that the Trump-Barr (sounds like a particularly nasty virus) strategy is designed not so much to actually get the DOJ lawyers involved - although they'd take it - but a delaying tactic. Ms Carroll's attorneys will surely protest and it will go all the way to the SC and, despite its composition, they might even lose. But what they will gain is time. If they can delay this until after the election - now less than eight weeks away - they will see that as a win. If he loses the Carroll case after the election and he wins that election, they won't give a shit. The ends justify the means.

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

There are over 300 million people in this country.  You mean to tell me that not one, NOT EVEN ONE PERSON, hasn't finally gotten fed up with this enough to go out and try to off the Trumpkin?  Surely a single person could somehow get close enough to him to pull out a 9-mm and fire away.  Sure he'd get caught, maybe even killed — but I can't believe that absolutely NO ONE is willing to take the chance for the greater good of the country?

And, of course, there are countless former military personnel who could take him from a distance like Lee Harvey Oswald, an ex-Marine, did to JFK — and did it with a $30 mail-order rifle.  A decent sniper with a good weapon and a ghillie suit could probably hide in the rough at Mar-a-Lago and get the job done.  And I bet they'd be smart enough to plan and execute it well enough that they just might even get away with it.
-"BB"-