You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
MajGenl.Meade

Re: You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

rubato wrote:If anyone was paying attention to the Cosby rape cases and the Metoo movement women are more likely to NOT report sexual exploitation than they are to do so falsely.
And anyone with a brain would recognize that if all the people involved had a personal rule NOT to be alone in a room with a person of the opposite sex . . . what then?

Of course, exploitative men such as Epstein are not put off with a Trump or a Prince Andy in the room and versa vice - but that's not quite the same thing as a decent person doing their best to avoid even the appearance of impropriety. People like my wife - I notice that she's not come in for any verbal aggression. Surely, an oversight?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

rubato

Post by rubato »

1. Opposite or the same sex.

2. We all feel so sorry for her already.

;)

Yrs ,
Rubato

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Ah, you're sorry that my wife doesn't care to risk private meetings with a man, alone and unobserved? ;)

Although, I've no worry about being alone with a person of the same sex because I have a strong disinclination to stick any part of my anatomy up any part of his.

And in the extremely unlikely event that he should suggest the same viz-a-viz moi, I have no fear that I might succumb to such non-enticing blandishments. I'd use his white stick to beat him off. . . or no, er, that doesn't sound right.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

RayThom

You really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Post by RayThom »

RayThom wrote:
Fred Rogers is maybe the best person to ever live. He educated countless children and brought joy to so many people's homes. And not only that, he was an activist and an advocate for children from all backgrounds.
I only saw MRN in bits and pieces. I never saw one show from start to finish. I was not his target audience.

For most of the time he was on TV I always had a feeling that he was a nascent pedophile who, if only due to his popularity, restrained his sexual urges, never letting his darkness manifest itself.

It wasn't until much later that I, too, saw a couple of documentaries about Fred and I came to realize how wrong I was. He apparently was much more genuine, with generations of children-- now adults -- who credit him for teaching them civility, grace, kindness, tolerance, and forgiveness. And in today's climate -- attributes that way too many of adults never quite learned how to cultivate.

Sadly, Fred had to die before I fully understood his genius and altruism. And for that I am truly sorry for prejudging him for so long.

RIP, Mr. Rogers, you did good.

There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.
And now Fred is being brought back to life by Tom Hanks. I don't feel there will be a dry eye in the house when a "Beautiful Day..." opens wide on November 22nd.

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

dales

Post by dales »

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

rubato

Post by rubato »

Fred Rogers was the quiet and unsung genius of the 20th century. Along with Ghandi he should have received the Nobel Peace prize. If you research the backgrounds of white supremacists and Jihadis what they both have are the kind of cruel and abusive upbringings that Fred Rogers tried to get rid of.

Fred Rogers understood that if you treat children kindly and with respect they grow up to be kind and respectful adults.

The message is so soft and unassuming that most of us missed it.

But his message changes the world.

yrs,
rubato

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Texas governor Greg Abbott signs bill banning discrimination against homophobes

The Governor of Texas Greg Abbott has signed a bill to ban discrimination against businesses with anti-LGBT views, after Chick-fil-A faced boycotts over donations to anti-LGBT causes.

Abbott staged a public signing ceremony on Thursday (July 18) for the so-called Save Chick-fil-A bill, which bars the government entities from taking “any adverse action” that is based “wholly or partly on a person’s belief or action in accordance with the person’s sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction, including beliefs or convictions regarding marriage.”

Texas governor Greg Abbott claims discrimination is ‘not tolerated’ in Texas

Speaking at the signing ceremony, the Republican governor said: “Discrimination is not tolerated in Texas.

“No business should be discriminated against simply because its owners donate to a church, the Salvation Army, or other religious organisation,

Despite Abbott’s claim that “discrimination is not tolerated in Texas,” Republicans in the state have repeatedly blocked efforts to pass basic laws outlawing discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.

By contrast, the Save Chick-fil-A bill was rushed through the Republican-controlled Texas legislature just months after a Chick-fil-A restaurant was blocked from opening at San Antonio International Airport over the chain’s links to anti-LGBT groups.

The broadly-written law seeks to strip state and local government powers to “withhold, reduce, exclude, terminate, or otherwise deny any grant, contract, license, registration, accreditation [or] employment” and to “withhold, reduce, exclude, terminate, or otherwise deny access to a property, educational institution, speech forum, or charitable fund-raising campaign” over religious anti-LGBT views.

Chick-fil-A’s anti-LGBT history

In 2012, it emerged that Chick-fil-A had donated millions of dollars to anti-gay groups, including the Family Research Council, ‘gay cure’ group Exodus International and Focus on the Family.

CEO Dan Cathy later confirmed the company was opposed to marriage equality and “guilty as charged” for backing “the biblical definition of a family.”

Cathy told Baptist Press at the time: “We are very much supportive of the family – the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that.”

The company later claimed it would “leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena,” however its donations to anti-LGBT causes have persisted.

LGBT+ activists have sustained a years-long boycott of the company.

In May, the Trump administration ordered a federal probe into decisions to bar Chick-fil-A from opening at two airports, in an apparent concession to the evangelical lobby.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Well after Hobby Lobby (where the USSC ruled that profit making corporations could have religious beliefs and rights), nothing surprises me. All we can do is just not patronize these companies (although judging by the line of cars at a chick fil a that recently opened by me, I guess not a lot of people care (pretty sad in this political climate where Trump can whip his supporters into a frenzy).

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Re. Chick-fil-A...

Paraphrasing Voltaire, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend til lunchtime your right to make a great chicken sandwich."
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

I'm glad I checked this thread out first. I was ready to post this image myself.

Our Bogey-in-Chief probably likes this new seal. It's the only place he'll ever see a double eagle.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

You have to love the inscription--it looks like Spanish and translates to "45 is a puppet"

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Exactamundo, Big RR!
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Big RR wrote:You have to love the inscription--it looks like Spanish and translates to "45 is a puppet"
Also in the blue field is the "Hammer and Sickle," and I think that it's a wad of ca$h in the talon on the left.

This is a very clever work of art, I commend the artist who is probably facing some "trumped" up federal charges at the moment.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Scooter wrote:
Texas governor Greg Abbott signs bill banning discrimination against homophobes

The Governor of Texas Greg Abbott has signed a bill to ban discrimination against businesses with anti-LGBT views, after Chick-fil-A faced boycotts over donations to anti-LGBT causes.

Abbott staged a public signing ceremony on Thursday (July 18) for the so-called Save Chick-fil-A bill, which bars the government entities from taking “any adverse action” that is based “wholly or partly on a person’s belief or action in accordance with the person’s sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction, including beliefs or convictions regarding marriage.”

Texas governor Greg Abbott claims discrimination is ‘not tolerated’ in Texas

Speaking at the signing ceremony, the Republican governor said: “Discrimination is not tolerated in Texas.

“No business should be discriminated against simply because its owners donate to a church, the Salvation Army, or other religious organisation,

Despite Abbott’s claim that “discrimination is not tolerated in Texas,” Republicans in the state have repeatedly blocked efforts to pass basic laws outlawing discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.

By contrast, the Save Chick-fil-A bill was rushed through the Republican-controlled Texas legislature just months after a Chick-fil-A restaurant was blocked from opening at San Antonio International Airport over the chain’s links to anti-LGBT groups.

The broadly-written law seeks to strip state and local government powers to “withhold, reduce, exclude, terminate, or otherwise deny any grant, contract, license, registration, accreditation [or] employment” and to “withhold, reduce, exclude, terminate, or otherwise deny access to a property, educational institution, speech forum, or charitable fund-raising campaign” over religious anti-LGBT views.

Chick-fil-A’s anti-LGBT history

In 2012, it emerged that Chick-fil-A had donated millions of dollars to anti-gay groups, including the Family Research Council, ‘gay cure’ group Exodus International and Focus on the Family.

CEO Dan Cathy later confirmed the company was opposed to marriage equality and “guilty as charged” for backing “the biblical definition of a family.”

Cathy told Baptist Press at the time: “We are very much supportive of the family – the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that.”

The company later claimed it would “leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena,” however its donations to anti-LGBT causes have persisted.

LGBT+ activists have sustained a years-long boycott of the company.

In May, the Trump administration ordered a federal probe into decisions to bar Chick-fil-A from opening at two airports, in an apparent concession to the evangelical lobby.
We've talked about Karl Popper before, and the intolerance paradox. Basically, Popper pointed out that a tolerant society would eventually be overcome by intolerance; so it's only right that a decent tolerant society - what most of us would call Western liberalism (i.e., those California liberals, if Lord of the Damp Nuts is listening) - the only thing that is not tolerated is intolerance.

PS: like Don Kathy, I'm still married to my first wife. I tend to avoid introducing her as such when we meet new people. I find it's not helpful. I wonder what he thinks of Donald Trump.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: You really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Post by Bicycle Bill »

RayThom wrote:Our Bogey-in-Chief probably likes this new seal. It's the only place he'll ever see a double eagle.
although they could have used this one with good reason too...                    
Image                   Image
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Check out the website responsible for the altered seal - which is befitting DJT:

https://one-term-donnie.myshopify.com/

The employee who searched the web (probably for Trump + presidential seal) and mistakenly used this seal was fired for the error. I want to sympathize, but anyone who is too clueless to grasp that the place to get the presidential seal graphic is from whitehouse.GOV probably doesn’t deserve such a level of responsibility.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

From the "One-Term Donnie" website BSG linked to above —

I humbly and respectfully [/sarcasm] suggest that this image become President Trump's official White House portrait.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

rubato

Post by rubato »

ExKA that is what I thought of first too. What frightens me the most is how little we know what we ought to have already known. The tolerant society cannot tolerate intolerance, it is an old principle and well understood. It comes from half a century ago.

But then the atrocities at abu ghraib were perfectly predictable and well understood many decades ago with the Stanford Prison experiment. Why do we not know what we already know?

We have the technical means to solve all of our problems but lack the political will to implement them even when doing so is obviously to our benefit. We can reverse desertification and capture much of the excess carbon in the atmosphere while doing so.

yrs,
rubato

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

God @The Tweet of God