You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
ex-khobar Andy

Re: You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

We probably need another thread labeled "Just when you thought he couldn't go any lower . . "

Trump, on hearing of Cokie Roberts' death yesterday: "I never met her. She never treated me nicely. But I would like to wish her family well. She was a professional, and I respect professionals. I respect you guys a lot, you people a lot." (He was talking to reporter reporters aboard Air Force One en route to California.) "She was a real professional. Never treated me well, but I certainly respect her as a professional."

When did Republicans adopt the 'I'm a victim' culture? I thought they despised that. And I love the ''I respect you guys a lot, you people a lot." bit. First I'd heard.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

And the swamp continues to get deeper . .
From the Guardian:
Sean Hannity's sheriff friend faces mounting ethics allegations

Carmine Marceno was a rising Republican star in Florida a year ago, having leveraged his crime-fighting prowess, celebrity friendships and knack for self-promotion to secure the job of Lee county sheriff.

Sean Hannity told viewers of his primetime Fox News show that Marceno was a “dear friend”. On Marceno’s recommendation, Hannity was made an “honorary deputy” of the county and given a gold star badge.

Rick Scott, then Florida’s governor, travelled to speak at Marceno’s swearing-in, having selected him for the role. “I don’t think there’s anybody in the state that is going to do a better job than Carmine,” Scott, now a US senator, said at the time.

But as he campaigns to be elected sheriff in his own right next year, Marceno’s political sheen appears to be wearing thin.

The sheriff is facing allegations that he did not properly qualify as a Florida police officer. One of his predecessors has warned that if confirmed, the finding could void every arrest Marceno made and vacate convictions he helped secure.

The Guardian has identified unusual payments of $24,000 apparently made to another close friend of Marceno from a political committee with connections to his election campaign, and misreported to Florida authorities.
I've just posted the first few sentences for the piece - worth reading.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Rudy The Clown strikes again:
Rudy Giuliani denies asking Ukraine to investigate Biden -- before admitting it

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump's attorney Rudy Giuliani on Thursday denied asking Ukraine to investigate Joe Biden moments before admitting that he had done just that.

Giuliani's comments came in a heated exchange on CNN's "Cuomo Prime Time" as Chris Cuomo pressed the former New York mayor over conversations he'd had with a Ukrainian official about Biden's possible role in that government's dismissal of a prosecutor who had investigated the former vice president's son, Hunter. Giuliani has repeatedly pointed to the event as a scandal, even as other Western governments also called for that prosecutor's dismissal and no evidence has indicated Biden's move was inappropriate. That prosecutor was replaced by Yuriy Lutsenko, who would later drop an investigation into a company in which Hunter Biden was involved.

"Did you ask the Ukraine to investigate Joe Biden?" Cuomo asked Giuliani.

"No, actually I didn't.
I asked the Ukraine to investigate the allegations that there was interference in the election of 2016 by the Ukrainians for the benefit of Hillary Clinton, for which there is already a court finding," Giuliani responded.

"You never asked anything about Hunter Biden? You never asked anything about Joe Biden and his role with the prosecutor?" Cuomo asked.

"The only thing I asked about Joe Biden is to get to the bottom of how it was that Lutsenko, who was appointed, dismissed the case," Giuliani said.

"So you did ask Ukraine to look into Joe Biden?" Cuomo pressed.

"Of course I did," Giuliani said.

When asked about his contradicting answer, Giuliani said he "didn't ask" for Biden to be investigated specifically, but asked Ukraine "to look into the allegations that related to my client, which tangentially involved Joe Biden in a massive bribery scheme."

Giuliani's remarks come the same day The Washington Post and The New York Times reported that a recent whistleblower complaint about Trump making a "promise" to a foreign leader involves Ukraine.

As CNN previously reported, the complaint has led to a standoff between Congress and acting Director of National Intelligence Joseph Maguire, who has refused to turn over the complaint to the House Intelligence Committee.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/19/politics ... index.html

Alcohol may have been involved...
ImageImageImage

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Alcohol may have been involved...
You'd like to think so. Unfortunately, for these guys, that most non-excuse of all non-excuses (e.g., the time Trudeau blacked up for a party) is lagging some way behind the total fucking idiocy explanation.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

You really have to watch it to get the full impact of the crazy. I had to wonder if Chris Cuomo was refraining from reeling him in more because he figured that it was better TV to let him spin out.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Who's Rudy Guiliani? I only met him a couple of times. Really, he's just the coffee and Diet Pepsi guy since I got rid of that fat slug Christie.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

But can you imagine the impure thoughts that would be caused by looking at a naked horses ass? In bondage no less?!

Mike Pence takes eight-vehicle motorcade across island where cars have been banned for a century

The move was described by one person as 'sacrilege'

Dave Maclean New York @geordiestory

For more than a century, motorised vehicles have been banned from Mackinac Island in Michigan - giving the former Revolutionary War battle site a unique charm and turning it into a tourist haven.

The ban is so strictly enforced that when President Gerald Ford visited in 1975, he and first lady Betty Ford travelled by horse-drawn carriage.

But the Trump administration is known for its norm-breaking, and on Saturday, vice president Mike Pence rumbled across the island in an eight-vehicle motorcade.

Mr Pence was on the island to speak at the Michigan Republican Party's leadership conference, the first ever sitting vice president to address it in its 60-year history.

Ron Fournier, a Michigan native and former Washington bureau chief for the Associated Press, said the motorcade was "obscene”.
link
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Fuck Pence -- and his asshole owner.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Does "his asshole owner" mean "his owner, who is an asshole" or "the owner of his asshole"?

Because it would seem to be true either way.

-- Author unknown

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Like poetry, it's often up to the reader to interpret its meaning.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Did anyone ask exactly WHY he did it?  Or, as I suspect, was he just being an asshole and over-playing his privilege card?

And this is the guy who is a heartbeat away from the presidency.  It's time to turn ANYONE who has an 'R' after their name out of public office — ANY public office, from dog-catcher on up.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I think I nailed the reasoning.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

How great would it be if this were the worst thing to have been done by the Trump regime...

Unfortunately, it doesn't make the list of the top thousand...
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

President approves new sentry unit for Tomb of the Unknown

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Lord Jim wrote:How great would it be if this were the worst thing to have been done by the Trump regime...

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Lord Jim wrote:How great would it be if this were the worst thing to have been done by the Trump regime...

I don’t know. In terms of being such a wanton and needless display of power and hubris it’s up there. We are talking about an island that has an area less than 4 square miles. The act of importing 8 vehicles to the island is a large undertaking. Even if you made the argument that vehicles were necessary for security reasons 8 is still an exorbitant number. Heck with that many cars and the given infrastructure of the area they would be more of a hindrance to security (not to mention the safety of the general public) than anything.

Is this likely going to have long term effects for the world, country or even the locality? Probably not, but it is a great example of just how unfit for service this entire administration is (not just the Cheeto-in-chief)

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Here's one of the worst:
“The conversation I had was largely congratulatory, with largely corruption, all of the corruption taking place and largely the fact that we don’t want our people like Vice President Biden and his son creating to the corruption already in the Ukraine,” Trump told reporters on Sunday at the White House, per a pool report.
Three x 'largely' What on earth is he doing to language? I gather he was largely congratulating someone in Ukraine for enjoying some "largely corruption", all of it, and that we must avoid "our people" who should not creating to the corruption in Ukraine, South Africa and the Iraq, and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future, for our children

Good grief! This is an abomination!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Yes - largely seems to be this year's equivalent of bigly.

Sadly, in this sense his communication skills were excellent. Those of us with even a passing familiarity with the English language - even its American variant - can study the words and we are left in no doubt as to the character and abilities and suitability for purpose of the man who uttered them. In short, the message that comes across, loud and clear, is that the man is a total fucking idiot.

It may be that this was not the message he intended to convey.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I don't in any way support the attack on the Abqaiq Aramco facility wherever it originated, and I'm not yet sure it came from Iran. No-one was killed and it is unclear if there were injuries. I've been to several Aramco facilities but not to Abqaiq.

But Trump today assailed the Iranian blood lust. Forgive me for bringing this up, but were any of the 9/11 hijackers Iranian? Was it the Iranians who sent a team to assassinate an American based journalist in Turkey?

I watched as much of the UN speech as I cold stomach. True, he didn't foam at the mouth and gnash his teeth, nor did he rend his raiment. It was clearly an election speech. That probably is not surprising.