You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Burning Petard

Re: You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Post by Burning Petard »

Sue, you remind me of Clarence Thomas during his Senate hearing for his nomination to be one of the Supremes. He said "it was like a lynching". Even though when it was over he went out and had a nice dinner and then went home to sleep in his own bed. A strange kind of lynching.

snailgate

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

And now Michael Flynn is advocating a military coup. And I'm paying this guy's fucking pension!!!! There's a video of the question and his answer. Huff Post.
Avowed QAnon disciple and confessed felon retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn has called for a Myanmar-like military coup in America.

“It should happen,” Donald Trump’s former national security adviser said in an astonishing declaration at a QAnon conference Sunday.

Myanmar’s military violently seized control of the country from its civilian government in late January, detained democratically elected leader Aung San Suu Kyi and top party members, and killed more than 700 protesters as of early this month. The military justified its action by claiming unproven “election fraud.”

Flynn presented his dark vision of a military coup and dictatorship in the U.S. in response to a question from the audience at the conference.

″I wanna know why what happened in Myanmar can’t happen here?” an unidentified member of the audience asked Flynn, though he pronounced the nation as “Minnimar.”

“No reason,” Flynn responded to wild screams of approval. “It should happen.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

Go for it!!!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Arizona Wants to Bring Back Zyklon B for Gas Chamber Executions

Arizona has “refurbished” a prison’s gas chamber and purchased the ingredients necessary to create the same deadly chemical compound used by Nazis during the Holocaust.

The state’s Department of Corrections has bought more than $2,000 worth of ingredients to make hydrogen cyanide gas, according to documents obtained and published by The Guardian. That same type of gas was used by Nazis to murder more than one million prisoners at the Auschwitz-Birkenau, and other death camps during World War II, including Jews, Poles, Roma, and prisoners of war. When it was used during WWII, the gas was known by the trade name “Zyklon B.”

Arizona has bought sodium hydroxide pellets and sulfuric acid, which produce the lethal gas. The Department of Corrections also spent $1,530 on a solid brick of poisonous potassium cyanide in December.

Arizona State Prison Complex, Florence, where the state’s gas chamber is located, has been out of commission for years after a botched execution in 1999 left a prisoner suffocating for 18 minutes before he finally died. The chamber was originally built in 1949.

State officials have been preparing the gas chamber for use since August of 2020, according to The Guardian. The prison has conducted tests with smoke grenades and water to ensure seals on the windows and doors are working, and guards checked for gas leaks with a candle, according to the outlet.

Prison staff went as far as to conduct mock executions last year, pretending to be inmates who were being put to death, screaming “This is murder,” and “I’m innocent,” according to documents obtained by the Guardian.

The moves to get the gas chamber up and running come as 115 inmates currently sit on death row in Arizona. The state, which is under Republican control, is eager to continue executions, according to The Guardian.

Arizona has traditionally used lethal injection to execute prisoners, but that has been put on pause since 2014, when it took almost two hours for Joseph Wood to die after he was given a botched lethal injection. The U.S. is also experiencing a national shortage in drugs used to make lethal injection cocktails.

Besides chemicals to create deadly gas, Arizona has also purchased $1.5 million worth of pentobarbital in October 2020, a sedative used during lethal injections, The Guardian reported last month.

If the gas chamber becomes functional, death row prisoners will have a choice between dying by poison gas, or dying by lethal injection.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

This many people on 'Death Row'?  And how long have they been there?  According to the Arizona Department of Corrections,
Since 1937, the average Arizona Death Row inmate has spent 12 years on death row.

Since 1992, the average length of stay for the 34 executed inmates is 17.44 years.
If they are sentenced to die, I don't really give a sterling-silver rat's hindquarter how it's done.  You can beat them to death with a club or give them to the AZ National Guard for bayonet practice for all I care.  Just line 'em up and git 'er done.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

"Arizona has bought sodium hydroxide pellets and sulfuric acid, which produce the lethal gas. "

No it doesn't. Just need the acid and the potassium (or sodium) cyanide.

"The Department of Corrections also spent $1,530 on a solid brick of poisonous potassium cyanide in December."

I just found KCN on line at Thomas Scientific for $118 for 1 kg.. Assuming that's the price they paid, they got around 13 kg of KCN. 40 mg is enough to kill one person. Multiplying up, 1 gram is enough for 25 people. 1 kg will thus do about 25,000 people. 13 kg will suffice for about 325,000 people.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Recall reading something about a challenge in Arizona based on the fact that the law specifies Sodium Cyanide, not potassium cyanide; not very different in the reactivity with sulfuric acid, but I think the suit might result in an injunction. They may have wasted their money.

As for the amount needed for an execution, but I would bet they use a large excess of the cyanide compound to create the lethal atmosphere; as I recall, after the execution they flood the chamber with ammonia and vent it for half an hour before it is opened, and even then, the attendants moving the body wear gloves, isolation suits, and gas masks, attesting to how much cyanide gas is created. Indeed, in a documentary I saw on execution, it looks like the executioners used a couple of cans of cyanide pellets for the execution, my guess is 100-200 grams. 1 kg seems like too much "overkill".

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Ok, they actually did make this up, but you couldn't make up that there are morons who actually believe it.

Brian Tyler Cohen
A new false conspiracy theory from Trump supporters is that Joe Biden was "repelled" from entering 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue by "the military" on inauguration day and has been living in an 80% replica scale model of the White House on Tyler Perry's Atlanta estate.

It is currently spreading on pro-Trump forums. Yes, really.

(h/t K. Thor Jensen)

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

FB_IMG_1628617530847.jpg

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

FB_IMG_1628651255143.jpg

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Honestly, whaty does anyone give a shit about what the My Pillow guy thinks? Why even quote his opinions?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Like it or not, a substantial portion of Republican voters, probably even a majority, see him as some sort of prophet/warrior whose mission is to deliver the nation back under the reign of Trump as God's own anointed.

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

While anything is possible, I would be surprised if a majority (or even a substantial minority) of republican voters view the My Pillow guy as a prophet; they may like what he says, but I can't believe he is any more of a profit to them than Bill Gates or any number of Hollywood actors are to democrats. Not a prophet, more a tool--and that guy is a tool.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Jim Wright points out
Same people right now who want to personally check each child's genitals to determine who can play sports...

...are the very same people who think having to disclose vaccination status to attend school is an invasion of privacy.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Like everything else, the price of Potassium Cyande has really gone up. I used to buy one pound of the stuff at the Eastman Kodak supply house in Kansas City for less than two dollars, back in 1959. That size was the smallest they sold. It was a standard ingredient for Black and White photogs who wanted to mix their own developer from scratch. I think it was also used for developing some offset printing plates.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

It’s also a suicide agent.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:16 pm
It’s also a suicide agent.
True enough. I had two friends who used potassium or sodium cyanide for that purpose early to mid seventies. Curiously, one of them killed himself over a young woman - Valerie - who turned him down and who, a few months earlier, had also turned me down. There's no accounting for taste. But Valerie and I remained friends and were on a pub darts team together.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’ve read that it is not a pleasant death, but it does seem to occur fairly quickly, however unpleasantly.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:01 am
True enough. I had two friends who used potassium or sodium cyanide for that purpose early to mid seventies. Curiously, one of them killed himself over a young woman - Valerie - who turned him down and who, a few months earlier, had also turned me down. There's no accounting for taste. But Valerie and I remained friends and were on a pub darts team together.
Cyanide or pub darts? At first it may seem like an easy choice.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Maybe darts dipped in a cyanide solution? Ordinarily, ingestion of poison is a problematic way of committing suicide as people will often throw it up; the darts could provide a different way of administering it without that problem. Of course, it did work fairly well in Jonestown. I guess you could also mix it with sulfuric acid in your own "gas chamber", but containing the poison gas could prove to be difficult.