You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

Re: You really, really, REALLY couldn't make this shit up

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

WASHINGTON — President Joe Biden leads ex-President Donald Trump by six points in a hypothetical 2024 matchup, as a gap between male and female voters appears to widen, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released Wednesday.

The poll, conducted between Jan. 25 and Jan. 29, found Biden leads Trump 50% to 44% among a nationwide sample of voters. It's a departure from a December Quinnipiac poll, in which the matchup was “too close to call.” At the time, Biden received 47% of support while Trump received 46%.

Biden and Trump’s support among women has also shifted since the December poll. Fifty-eight percent of women said they would support Biden late last month – an increase from 53% in December.

Meanwhile, Trump’s support among women decreased, from 41% in the December poll to 36% in the latest survey.

Trump, however, has retained support among male voters. The most recent Quinnipiac poll found 53% of men would support the former president in a match-up against Biden, which remains mostly unchanged from the December poll.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 436064007/
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Trump has promoted a general statement from John Voight (International known expert on religion and politics) informing us that Donald Trump is just like Jesus.

I wish it were true..

1. Jesus has been dead for more than two thousand years.
2. Nobody knows what he said or taught. All sources come from others, Paul is the earliest source and he admits he never saw Jesus while he was alive. Others are much later. (Gospel of John is perhaps from 200 years after Jesus died.)
3. The majority of the self-described Christians live a life contrary to what they claim Jesus advocated.

snailgate

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Earliest gospel (Mark) dates to about 50 CE which is contemporary)
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Well BP, I guess that shows what excessive drug use does to one's mind. Sad, Voight was a pretty good actor once.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Big RR wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:24 pm
Well BP, I guess that shows what excessive drug use does to one's mind. Sad, Voight was a pretty good actor once.
He was always a piece of shit, ask the mother of his daughter and ask his daughter too. It is no surprise whatsoever that he’s in with the 53% of American men who want a man like Trump leading our country and the world.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Attorney Roberta Kaplan said former President Donald Trump threw papers across a table and stormed off during a deposition at Mar-a-Lago after learning that his legal team had agreed to provide her lunch.

Kaplan, who has represented clients in high-profile cases against Trump, including E. Jean Carroll, said on an episode of the “George Conway Explains it All (to Sarah Longwell)” podcast recorded Thursday that she rejected the former president’s request that they work through a lunch break because he believed the deposition was “a waste of my time.”

“And then you could kind of see the wheel spinning in his brain. You could really almost see it,” Kaplan told Republican strategist Sarah Longwell and conservative attorney George Conway, a longtime Trump critic. “And he said, ‘Well, you’re here in Mar-a-Lago. What do you think you’re going to do for lunch? Where are you going to get lunch?’”

Kaplan said she told him that his attorneys had “graciously offered to provide” her team with lunch — a common civil practice between opposing legal teams.

“At which point there was a huge pile of documents, exhibits, sitting in front of him, and he took the pile and he just threw it across the table. And stormed out of the room,” Kaplan shared, adding that Trump specifically yelled at his lawyer Alina Habba for providing them lunch.

“He really yelled at Alina for that. He was so mad at Alina,” she said.

Kaplan continued: “He came back in and he said, ‘Well, how’d you like the lunch?’ And I said, ‘Well, sir, I had a banana. You know, I can never really eat when I’m taking testimony.’ And he said, ‘Well, I told you,’ — it was kind of charming. He said, ‘I told you, I told them to make you really bad sandwiches, but they can’t help themselves here. We have the best sandwiches.’”

Kaplan was deposing Trump at Mar-Lago in a lawsuit alleging the former president was involved with a fraudulent marketing company. A federal judge dismissed the suit last month.

In a separate anecdote, Kaplan detailed the end of the deposition when she was set to leave, saying that Trump told her: “See you next Tuesday” – a phrase that is often used as a derogatory euphemism directed at women.

“We come in the room and I say, ‘I’m done asking questions’ and immediately I hear from the other side, ‘Off the record. Off the record. Off the record.’ So they must have planned it. And he looks at me from across the table and he says, ‘See you next Tuesday,’” she recounted.

Kaplan said that she was initially confused, as their next meeting was set for a Wednesday. “You could tell it was like, it was like a kind of a joke again, like teenage boys would come up with. But again, I wasn’t in on the joke,” she said.

“I wasn’t in on the joke, so I had no idea. Then we get into the car and my colleagues are like, ‘Robbie, do you know what that means?’ And I’m like, ‘No, what are you talking about?’ They tell me and I’m like, oh my God, thank God I didn’t know because had I known, I for sure would have gotten angry. There’s no question I would have gotten angry,” Kaplan said.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Well you learn something every day--I had never heard of "see you next Tuesday", but the internet source I checked said it is code for CU Next Tuesday (sorry, the bold wouldn't work).

this guy sounds like a stunted 12 year old, and a pretty stupid one at that.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Thanks for explaining that - I had never heard the expression: or if I had, it had rolled right over me. But typical Trump. I remember when he dismissed the pussy grabbing tape as 'locker room talk' - I suppose so if you are about 13, which is probably the last time I heard that sort of talk in a locker room. And I have been in a lot of locker rooms.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

"See you next Tuesday."
Way to keep it classy, Donnie.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

My recollection is that you gentlemen are a decade or possibly two older than me (53)?

When I was growing up in the 80s ‘see you next Tuesday’ was a very commonly used misogynistic insult from middle school boys to middle school girls, and then all the guys who never really matured past middle school never stopped using it, so it was thrown around a lot in the high school years as well.

It’s been a long time since I’ve spent any time around the kind of men who engage in that kind of behavior, but now that I am working with kids from kindergarten through middle school I can attest that some boys are using it at a much younger age than I’d ever heard it from before.

At this point I would assume we could all agree that Trump’s popularity among more than half of men and 36% of women in light of his policies and personal behavior toward women reveals how deeply misogynistic our country remains in 2024, #metoo movement notwithstanding.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Tom Cotton doing his best impression of Joe McCarthy:

Life imitating art:

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

BSG--you are right, I have had some years on you, which may be why I have never heard it before. There was a time (like when I was around 11 or 12) when I might have thought it clever, but a grown (or even immature adult) man using it is just plain sad. Kind of like saying poo poo or kaka.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

You really, really, REALLY *REALLY* couldn't make this shit up:
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

That's almost as good as 'covfefe' and 'hamberders'.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I saw Senator Tom Cotton doing this "question" on a tv newscast. it is an amazing documentation of the Senate Investigation process. It is very clear the Senator was not paying any attention to the answers to his questions. Or else he is even more ignorant than Congress Critter M T Green. Probably both. It is a sad demonstration of the American election process that Mr Cotton is the choice of the people of Arkansas. He also is a graduate of Harvard University and served as a US Army 1st Lt. H L Menken would be proud of his performance.

snailgate.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

:lol:

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Sarah Huckabee Sanders appoints man who had sex with a minor to top state post

Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders (R), who has repeatedly pledged to “protect kids” with anti-LGBTQ+ laws, appointed a man to a top state prison post even though he had previously been fired from a local police force for receiving oral sex from a teen girl in a post office parking lot.

Jamol Jones, who Sanders appointed as chairman to the Arkansas Post-Prison Transfer Board in January, resigned last Friday after news agencies reported that the Benton Police Department fired him after he admitted to an internal affairs investigator that he had sexual relations as an adult with a 17-year-old girl, the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported.

The age of consent in Arkansas is 16. A ban on gender-affirming care for trans minors that Sanders signed last year includes everyone younger than 18.

A November 1, 2018 letter from Benton Police Chief Scotty L. Hodges revealed that he placed Jones on administrative leave with pay “until further notice” for lying to an internal affairs investigator about his sexual relationship with the teen. Jones said he lied because he was embarrassed and scared. An investigation found that Jones’s initial job application to join the police force “did not provide or submit certain key information” about the relationship with the minor.

Jones said he and the girl “had talked at the gym” and that “she had identified herself as an 18-year-old” before performing oral sex on him in the Benton Post Office parking lot. Though he denied knowing her actual age, the Benton Police internal affairs investigator wrote in his official report, “There was indication he knew her age and continued the relationship, even telling her that the relationship could not be found out.” (gee, that sounds like classic groomer behaviour)

Jones admitted to wanting to keep the relationship secret. He also admitted to never asking to see the girl’s ID, even though he had been formerly trained as a police officer to confirm people’s ages by doing so. The girl’s mother said she suspected that her daughter might have lied about her age to attract male attention, and the mother added that she didn’t want Jones to go to jail over the sexual relationship with her daughter. (I guess that makes it ok, then)

Nevertheless, the lie and relationship violated the department’s ethics policy and state law. Though the Saline County prosecuting attorney’s office didn’t file charges against Jones, Hodges fired Jones three weeks later.

When Sanders appointed Jones in January, she said in a statement, “His prior law enforcement experience makes him a clear choice to take on this important role, and I look forward to working together as we empower Arkansans with a safer, stronger state.”

He was meant to serve for seven years as the board’s “chief executive, administrative, budgetary, and fiscal officer” while earning an annual salary of over $95,380. The board he resigned from oversees parole, alternative sentencing programs, and expunging criminal records for eligible offenders.

State Sen. Kim Hammer (R) said that he and other senators “had no knowledge of [Jones’s] actions” before the Senate voted to confirm his appointment to the position, noting, “I was given no indication from the Governor’s office, who vets the application, that there was an issue.”

Sanders’s office didn’t respond to a media request asking if she knew of Jones’ firing from the police force before she appointed him or how her office vets potential political appointees. Her appointment of him seems at odds with her pledge to “protect kids” by passing anti-LGBTQ+ legislation. (ya think?)

In March, Sanders also signed a “Don’t Say Gay” law, banning classroom instruction on gender identity and sexual orientation before fifth grade, as well as another bill allowing anyone who received gender-affirming care as a minor to sue their doctor up to 15 years after they turn 18 — though a court blocked it. In February, she signed a bill reclassifying drag performances as adult-oriented entertainment.

“The Governor has said she will sign laws that focus on protecting and educating our kids, not indoctrinating them and believes our schools are no place for the radical left’s woke agenda,” a Sanders spokesperson said in a statement when she signed the gender-affirming care ban.

Last November, Sandres [sic] appointed an anti-LGBTQ+ Christian nationalist to oversee state libraries. In October, Sanders issued an executive order banning “woke,” gender-inclusive language in government communications.

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown