And Kennedy decides to fuck us all

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Big RR

Re: And Kennedy decides to fuck us all

Post by Big RR »

a judge that will honestly read the constitution
I question whether someone who testifies under oath that the Clintons are after him (seeking osme sort of revenge) could be expected to be honest about anything. I imagine he fears the illuminati and believes we never landed on the moon either. But then, I guess honesty is overrated.
our system of govt is under attack by dishonest actors.
Indeed, including the biggest one in the white house. A man who will go apoplectic at the mere thought of someone kneeling during the playing of the national anthem (where's liberty when you need it?) and then ridicule a owman who dared to come forward and give testimony against someone he was told by his handlers to nominate. A fake president who panders to the basest feeling among his supporters.

If that's what ''energized" is, I guarantee I will never be energized.
If Collins were to declare that she is a no on the final vote technically yes would still have the votes needed with a 50-50 split
I guess it depnds when the vote is as they will be one vote down tomorrow at the start.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Seems we have a competition for the role of village idiot.
wesw wrote:they are neo liberals.

real liberals believe in free expression and free thought...., and liberty.
Neoliberalism, ideology and policy model that emphasizes the value of free market competition. Although there is considerable debate as to the defining features of neoliberal thought and practice, it is most commonly associated with laissez-faire economics. In particular, neoliberalism is often characterized in terms of its belief in sustained economic growth as the means to achieve human progress, its confidence in free markets as the most-efficient allocation of resources, its emphasis on minimal state intervention in economic and social affairs, and its commitment to the freedom of trade and capital.
Brittanica.com

Again, a dictionary can be a helpful tool. But I guess knowing how to read is a prerequisite for using one.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

liberty wrote:This situation is a Democrat invention; the neo-liberals will do whatever it takes to keep a judge that will honestly read the constitution off the court.
If you think Brett Kavanaugh is "a judge that will honestly read the constitution" then you have no idea who he is or why he was nominated to both his current position on the DC Circuit and to the Supreme Court. As I said last month, before he and Ford testified:
My greatest objection to Brett Kavanaugh is not so much that he's been a lout, a jerk and a weasel in the past (although these are character traits that I would find disqualifying for a lifetime appointment), but that he is a hard-core partisan political operative masquerading as a judge. His career path -- including his judicial record -- demonstrates that he has a political agenda to implement through whatever position he happens to hold. He is a faithful servant of right-wing ideology, not of The Law and jurisprudence as we know it. Anyone claiming they don't want an "activist" Court that "legislates from the bench" should reject this guy out of hand.
My assessment above was subsequently confirmed by Kavanaugh himself in his hyper-partisan, belligerent, whiny and evasive appearance before the Senate Judiciary Committee, where he blamed "outside left-wing opposition groups" for a political conspiracy seeking "revenge on behalf of the Clintons." This is the attitude and language of Fox News political bloviators veering into Alex Jones territory to whip up The Base, not the comportment or mentality of a constitutional scholar.

The Senate's job regarding "advise and consent" is to protect the integrity of the Supreme Court as an institution, not simply to make it a political trophy. And regardless of whether you believe Kavanaugh did or didn't assault Christine Blasey Ford in high school, the question today is whether this the kind of person you want as the nation's highest judicial authority, making the rules for how this country works and for whose benefit. I think we can do better.
Last edited by Sue U on Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GAH!

wesw

Post by wesw »

keep up with the times pointdexter.

we have added to the meanings. it is easy. pretty soon, in your dictionary, meaning number 5 will read....

....pinko fascist insurgents who pretend to be classic liberals.

or something that means the same thing.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty wesw said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”
GAH!

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Sue: I have been reading the NYT, WaPo and all the usual suspects since this whole thing began, and I have not seen a column or a comment which hits the mark as cogently as you do above. Well said.

wesw

Post by wesw »

anyway, back on topic...

dr ford is starting to look really bad...., and her friend, this mc clain who apparently reached out to Leland, her witness, to get her to switch her story.

it was a hit job and you guys won t even admit the obvious.

it was a hitjob.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:Sue: I have been reading the NYT, WaPo and all the usual suspects since this whole thing began, and I have not seen a column or a comment which hits the mark as cogently as you do above. Well said.
Well, if you can't rely on Lewis Carroll, then who can you trust?

:shrug

Thanks, also too.
GAH!

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I guess it depends when the vote is as they will be one vote down tomorrow at the start.
Big RR, it's my understanding that McConnell has been aware of the wedding situation, and if Daines vote proves to be decisive Mitch would either delay the final vote to Sunday or Monday, or simply keep the vote open till Daines was able to show up with to cast his vote. (Either of which he can do as Majority Leader)
this little gang rape fiasco cost you a lot of votes
Actually TEN alleged gang rapes... :?

I think wes actually has a kernel of a point there...(that blind sow/acorn thing again...)

I believe because of the way they were played up initially by the press and some of the Dems, the Swetnick allegations, which have looked increasingly dodgy the closer they are examined...She's changed her story multiple time and every time she changes it Kavanaugh's role becomes smaller and more vague. Also Avenatti finally supplied four "corroborating witnesses" to NBC news and NBC found that one of them denied having any knowldege at all to back up Swetnick, two never returned calls, and one was dead... :? ...

definitely played an important role in the angering and energizing of GOP voters that we've seen in the polling...

The press took the allegations seriously initially for the same reason I did; because they came from Michael Avenatti, who up till then had a solid track record of delivering on allegations...

But it appears that after he got bitten by the Presidential bug he was so anxious to curry favor with Democratic base voters that after Swetnick came to him these sensational charges he failed to do any due diligence before going public with them...

Apparently neither he nor his staff even bothered to contact the "corroborating witnesses" that Swetnick supplied, or surely they would have caught the fact that one of them was, well, dead... :roll:

If this had just been focused on Kavanaugh vs. Ford (or even including the highly credible Ramirez allegations) it would probably not have had the same angering effect . But the highly sensational highly dubious Swetnick allegations really helped to play into and support the (bogus) narrative of a "conspiracy" to "get" Kavanaugh...

The Democrats, (and anyone else opposed to the Kavanaugh nomination and/or who is supportive of the Dems retaking the Senate) have good reason to be very unhappy with Mr. Avenatti...
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Goddesses bless Senator Murkowski! Now we have to hope that Manchin and Collins have the courage to stand for the integrity of the Court.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Big RR, it's my understanding that McConnell has been aware of the wedding situation, and if Daines vote proves to be decisive Mitch would either delay the final vote to Sunday or Monday, or simply keep the vote open till Daines was able to show up with to cast his vote. (Either of which he can do as Majority Leader)
Well, I am not sure that they would vote on Sunday (isn't that the Sabbath of the neocons?) and Monday is a day when they are not supposed to be in session (a holiday), so I don't know what would have to be done under the rules to get the Senate to convene either of those days. I don't think he is that stupid, but what I would love is for him to hold the vote on Saturday and either Collins or Machin (I've given up on Flake) to unexpectedly switch and vote no. I imagine they could reschedule for a second consideration, but again I am not sure what the rules are if he is rejected when a quorum is present and voting.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

The Senate has met on Sundays a number of times in the past, (I believe the most recent time may have been to lift one of the government shutdowns in recent years) so that's not an issue for them.

The Senate Majority Leader has absolute control over the Senate calendar. They could meet on Christmas Day if he chose to schedule it.

But he also controls when the voting on a motion is closed and the clerk reports the results, so the easiest path might just be to start the vote on Saturday and just not close and report it till Daines has had a chance to get back into town and cast his vote. (There's a risk in that, because during that time another Senator could also change their vote, but you have the same risk if the vote is delayed till Sunday or Monday.)
ImageImageImage

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Interesting; I would have thought any extraordinary (unscheduled) session would have to be noticed to all the senators, but if they can be scheduled whenever the majority leader dictates, maybe they just wouldn't tell the potential changed voters.

Keeping it open is an interesting tactic as well--he can ignore the cloture and keep the vote open as long as he chooses.

Those are strange rules.

wesw

Post by wesw »

I believe, that since the senator in question has been present for the debate and is aware of all info about the question....

a proxy vote is not out of the question.

I don t know what the rules are that would allow it, but I believe that their is a mechanism

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

My recollection is that proxy votes are acceptable only on procedural/committee matters, but not to o finally approve a bill (here approving the nomination) in a floor vote. I think if proxy voting were permissible it would already have been set up.

wesw

Post by wesw »

I think that the senate may have to vote to allow it, or to change the rules temporarily.

it would set a bad precedent, but at this point it has basically become all out war in the congress anyway, so I don t think it is out of the question that the senate would vote to allow it...., just this once

just this once......

the senate sets its own rules

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I'm not sure it can do that, but we shall see. If they could, I think it would be ill-advised as it sets a bad precedent--and for what? To ram this through quickly? They can't wait until next week for the final vote? This is hardly an urgent matter. Neither Kavanaugh or the court are going anywhere.

wesw

Post by wesw »

susan speaks.....

wesw

Post by wesw »

....her voice is deeper...., did she grow a set?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Unless there is a "But . . . " coming in the next few sentences it's all over. I'm not hopeful.

ETA - 10 minutes into Collins' speech, I might vote for him. She's convincing . . .

No on second thoughts that perpetual smile while she's speaking reminds me of Joel Osteen.