Election 2020

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
rubato

Re: Election 2020

Post by rubato »

I’m supportive no Amy McGrath again. Go Amy!

Yrs,
Rubato

D-mn auto correct!
Last edited by rubato on Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I have voted for Joe Biden every time he has been on the ballot since 1972. I still think he would be a less than adequate us chief executive. I like him, I think he is a good staff man, but not a leader.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/01/opin ... e=Homepage

One pundit for the NY TIMES sort of regretfully agrees.

snailgate.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

He didn't come across all that well yesterday either. The problem is, if Biden isn't the candidate, who will it be, and how likely is it that they can beat Trump? Many of the positions the dems are putting forward (like medicare for all without private insurance (or employer insurance)) play right into the republican spin doctors script and will generate a lot of hysteria among some of the electorate; we could do something less drastic (like a public option), but Biden seems so wedded to defending Obamacare that he doesn't want to back off from the prreferred use of private insurance as its basis. And despite all the rhetoric, no one has shown how they would contain costs (not to mention that the medicare pharma coverage with its donut hole and private insurer drug formularies that exclude coverage for some drugs, is often less generous to the insured than many private, insurer sponsored plans). This has to be sold to the American people little by little, combined with upgraded coverage, a plan for funding, and serious plans to contain costs, but no one has taken the leadership on this (admittedly the debate format doesn't really allow for broad discussions).

I am beginning to believe that Trump will be a lot more difficult to beat than I thought previously, and the right dem to beat him will be more difficult to choose. I'd happily support any f the 20 who debated (but then I'd vote for anyone over Trump), but I am terrified of what might happen if he is reelected.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I didn’t watch on Tuesday night, but I watched last night and regret it deeply. They spent more time attacking Obama as a means to attack Biden than they did attacking Trump. Obama has a 97% approval among Democrats. How stupid are these candidates?!

The candidate whose message impressed me most last night was Andrew Yang.

I am very apprehensive about the party’s prospects for defeating Trump.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Election 2020

Post by RayThom »

Trump says Mike Pence is his 2020 running mate '100%,' dismisses idea of running with Nikki Haley
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 570218001/
OK... so this mostly confirms that the Big Grifter is going to replace his Out-of-the-Loop-Dupe with his unconfirmed side piece, Haley.

As you recall, in June Pence was "mysteriously" summoned back from his NH trip to the really White House. "To avoid a meeting with a drug trafficker" was eventually reported as the reason. However, insiders have reported that Boss Tweet called his lap dog back to tell him his days were numbered because Haley has been named VP-in-waiting.

If true, and with a well known Repub woman on the 2020 ticket, I feel it's going to sew up another term for the Assaulter-in-Chief. After all, why would a well respected woman sign on as a running mate to an "alleged" serial molester? How stupid is that?

Fortunately for Lord Dampnut, he knows his base is brain dead.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

How many of the Democratic presidential candy-dates can you identify? I got 23/24 but frankly a couple were by process of elimination; unless I actually see them regularly, middle-aged white guys all look the same to me.

GAH!

RayThom

Election 2020

Post by RayThom »

You got: 21 of 24
Political Wonk
You identified most of the Democrats who are running for president in 2020! Nice job!
I thought I would ace this... not! The candidates I missed will probably not be around in September, so no biggie.

As for Joe Sestak, he's a nice local boy, well known for short term congressional stints representing PA. Like Harold Stassen, he runs for almost anything just to remain visible.

Text "Joe 00000"
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

21/24

Also struggled with a few of the much lesser known middle aged white guys, and the one African American man I didn’t even know was running - I don’t think he’s made the debates at all.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I got 12. I heard one pundit on NPR while driving around today ask a reasonable question about this: Most of these people don't have a chance to getting the nomination, let alone elected. Why are they wasting their time on this when they could be running for the Senate where they could make a real difference?

snailgate.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

9 but two were because I pressed the same two for every answer I didn't know (obviously, a lot). In another test, my result showed 12% Donald Trump and 88% NOT. Should I be worried (I think it was the number of baseball caps question that did me in)?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

18/24. I got Bullock because the picture showed him in front of a couple of signs with his name on them.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Burning Petard wrote:I got 12. I heard one pundit on NPR while driving around today ask a reasonable question about this: Most of these people don't have a chance to getting the nomination, let alone elected. Why are they wasting their time on this when they could be running for the Senate where they could make a real difference?

snailgate.
I share this frustration.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Why do I have the dread that Marianne Williamson will be the Democratic nominee?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

The fact that you posted that thought with absolutely no spellcheck errors is a bad omen.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Why do I have the dread that Marianne Williamson will be the Democratic nominee?
Could be, she can harness the powers of the spirit world. I recall during the debates she called on the spirit of Yada several times, chanting "Yadda, Yadda, Yadda" always in groups of three--perhaps the great spirit Yadda is a trinity?

RayThom

Election 2020

Post by RayThom »

If Joe can't do it, no one can.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Coming this late to the party, is he likely to even make it to the subsequent debate? I honestly don't know much about his positions, so i can't say more.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I thought he had announced a while ago and hadn't qualified for the earlier debates, difficult to believe that he could meet the higher bar of the next one.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I think so--as i recall, he announced in May or June. My guess is he is hoping to be the "none of the above" candidate when people tire of whatever candidates make it to the final group.

Another strike he has against him (as I recall) is that he mounted a costly Senate primary campaign against Arlen Specter and then lost the race to the republicans; this hasn't exactly endeared him to the national party.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I never had much use for Tommy Lee, but this is pretty good:

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown