RBG admitted to hospital

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
ex-khobar Andy

RBG admitted to hospital

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

. . . with broken ribs after a fall at SCOTUS.

Please: anyone here who prays - I'll break the habit of a lifetime and ask you to pray for her swift recovery and continued good health.

RayThom

RBG admitted to hospital

Post by RayThom »

And this from AARP:

Deaths From Falls by Older Adults Sharply Increase
https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions- ... derly.html

Unfortunately, Ginsberg has also been dealing with other health issues along the way. I feel there's a good chance she may not be returning.

Amy Coney Barrett... come on down.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

eddieq

Re: RBG admitted to hospital

Post by eddieq »

All politics aside, I pray for a speedy and full recovery for her.

Politically, can the nation afford another Trump SCOTUS pick?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

She went home after the fall and only went to the hospital as a precaution because she felt pain. She's broken ribs before a few years back and recovered nicely - someone her age with a history of chemo is suffering osteoporosis - it's not going to kill her.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

it's not going to kill her.
We can only hope that's right.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I wouldn’t be so sure my grandmother died of complications from a broken leg.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The femur has large fat globules in the marrow that can cause pulmonary embolism - was it that? Or was is related to being restricted to limited mobility? Old people used to die from hip fractures because they stayed in bed and got pneumonia; now that hardly ever happens because the medical experts have learned to get them up and moving the very next day after surgery.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

She can have my ribs!!
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Guinevere wrote:She can have my ribs!!
Mine too! I'll order more.

Wait, what?
GAH!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

It wasn’t immediate it precipitated a steady decline in health. At a certain age things just don’t heal right minor issues become major issues. Two years after slipping off a ladder cleaning ice out of her gutters she was dead.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

That happens to a lot of older people, but often they are folks who aren't terribly active on a regular basis to begin with. It's easy to lose function when you don't use the function and as a much older person, once the function is gone it's very difficult to get back and with loss of vitality and mobility comes a weakened immune system and it then becomes very easy to decline in health rapidly.

It's important to remember that after her cancers, Ruth Ginsburg became very health conscious and she engages in a regular fitness regime with a personal trainer at the private SCOTUS gym and she has recruited other justices, clerks and court staff to join her. She works on core strength and lifts weights in addition to cardio. It isn't possible to entirely overcome the effects of aging, such as on balance, so I'm not terribly surprised to hear she had a stumbling fall. Obviously it wasn't a terrible fall because she went home and slept in her own bed - she only went to the hospital this morning after having experienced discomfort overnight and then learned she fractured 3 ribs. Osteoporosis is an inevitable effect of aging for women and men alike, and her bones are likely even more brittle from the effects of chemotherapy. Still, I suspect she will bounce back from this nicely.

I've worked with elderly people for a couple of years now and it's sad that some are nearly disabled in their 70s while others are spry and fully functional in their late 90s. Some of it is luck/genetics, but a lot of it is how you take care of yourself and how much you use your body at a time in life when it's very easy to become nearly fully sedentary.

One of the couples I worked for recently were in their early 90s and their lives consisted of day after day spent shuffling between their bedroom, bathroom, TV room and kitchen - maybe 150 steps/day, if that. She used a walker but her balance was poor and she was mostly blind so she had to be watched like a hawk; he had been getting around pretty well but he got pneumonia and never really recovered in large part because he resisted all efforts at PT and to boost his eating habits, so next thing after a couple of weeks he's devolved to being in a wheelchair and basically not moving his body at all. They had 24/7 live-in caregivers.

Meanwhile, one of their oldest friends who came to visit several times while I worked for them was a 97 year old lady living independently, still driving (very well!), active in community groups (book club, service groups at her synagogue) and was also regularly involved in water aerobics and an elders' walking program at the local YMCA.

This is why I'm making a big effort to get myself more physically active; I tend toward introverted activities like reading, watching movies/TV shows, coloring in my adult coloring books, etc. - but as you age muscle loss occurs very rapidly and it's really critical to use your body to keep it from happening which then keeps your body strong enough to rebound from injury and illness.

I think RBG will live to serve on the court as long as Oliver Wendell Holmes, who served to age 90.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

RBG admitted to hospital

Post by RayThom »

The Notorious RBG Workout:

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Crackpot wrote:It wasn’t immediate it precipitated a steady decline in health. At a certain age things just don’t heal right minor issues become major issues. Two years after slipping off a ladder cleaning ice out of her gutters she was dead.
Why weren't **YOU** cleaning out the gutters instead of making her do it???
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

You never tried to tell her not to do something.

liberty

Post by liberty »

It is my natural inclination care about and help people, but war changes things. Red America and the blue liberal collective are not quite at war yet, but we are close. Already many liberals believe that non liberals have no rights that liberals need to respect. That environment begs this question: Did Justice Ginsburg kill Justice Scalia?

https://www.redstate.com/streiff/2016/0 ... alia-dead/

Why Ruth Bader Ginsburg Is Glad Antonin Scalia Is Dead
Posted at 4:00 pm on July 11, 2016 by streiff
Let me preface this by saying that for quite a while I have deliberately put liberals outside my circle of friends and acquaintances. The reason is very simple. If you are in close social contact with liberals you can never let down your guard and if you can’t let down your guard, well, why have social contact with them?

Case in point. Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
For years they have been portrayed as a judicial “odd couple.” People who were diametrically opposed on most decisions but who had a close personal friendship with one another. Scalia said this in one interview:

“I consider myself a good friend of every one of my colleagues, both past and present — some more than others,” Scalia said. “My best friend on the court is and has been for many years Ruth Ginsburg. Her basic approach is not mine, but she’s a lovely person and a good, loyal friend.”
On Scalia’s death, she issued a statement that, in part, said:
“From our years together at the D.C. Circuit, we were best buddies,” she wrote. “We disagreed now and then, but when I wrote for the Court and received a Scalia dissent, the opinion ultimately released was notably better than my initial circulation.”

Last week an interview of Ginsburg was published in the New York Times. Most of the attention was devoted to her critique of Donald Trump:

“I can’t imagine what this place would be — I can’t imagine what the country would be — with Donald Trump as our president,” she said. “For the country, it could be four years. For the court, it could be — I don’t even want to contemplate that.”

Hidden away was this nugget:
It was a credit to the eight-member court that it deadlocked only four times, she said, given the ideological divide between its liberal and conservative wings, both with four members.
One of the 4-4 ties, Friedrichs v. California Teachers Association, averted what would have been a severe blow to public unions had Justice Scalia participated. “This court couldn’t have done better than it did,” Justice Ginsburg said of the deadlock. When the case was argued in January, the majority seemed prepared to overrule a 1977 precedent that allowed public unions to charge nonmembers fees to pay for collective bargaining.

A second deadlock, in United States v. Texas, left in place a nationwide injunction blocking Mr. Obama’s plan to spare more than four million unauthorized immigrants from deportation and allow them to work. That was unfortunate, Justice Ginsburg said, but it could have been worse.
“Think what would have happened had Justice Scalia remained with us,” she said. Instead of a single sentence announcing the tie, she suggested, a five-justice majority would have issued a precedent-setting decision dealing a lasting setback to Mr. Obama and the immigrants he had tried to protect.
When given a choice between the life of a friend and pushing forward with profoundly anti-American, anti-freedom, and anti-Constitutional policies, Ginsburg doesn’t hesitate to say, “Think what would have happened had Justice Scalia remained with us.”
This is why you can’t trust them because even the ones who consider themselves to be your “good buddy” will burn you down in a flash if it means advancing a progressive agenda item.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Did Justice Ginsburg kill Justice Scalia?
ImageImageImage

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

:eyes:

liberty

Post by liberty »

Lord Jim wrote:
Did Justice Ginsburg kill Justice Scalia?
Jim, you don’t think the level of political hate has increased in this country? We have an EMS tech that says non liberals should be allowed to die while he does nothing and many liberals support him.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

from the dictionary: liberal | ˈlib(ə)rəl |
adjective
1 open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values: they have more liberal views toward marriage and divorce than some people.
• favorable to or respectful of individual rights and freedoms: liberal citizenship laws.
• (in a political context) favoring maximum individual liberty in political and social reform: a liberal democratic state.
• (Liberal) of or characteristic of Liberals or a Liberal Party.
• (Liberal) (in the UK) relating to the Liberal Democrat Party: the Liberal leader.
• Theology regarding many traditional beliefs as dispensable, invalidated by modern thought, or liable to change.

If they support this individual no-longer-working-as an EMS from Louisiana's views on personal honor and duty, then they by definition are not a liberal. There is no right more basic than the right to life.

snailgate